Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7477 7478 [7479] 7480 7481 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15739352 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #112170 on: September 03, 2013, 03:19:18 am »

. . . That's actually a really good idea.  Maybe that's what happens if you choose a "stay in that night" option.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #112171 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:01 am »

. . . That's actually a really good idea.  Maybe that's what happens if you choose a "stay in that night" option.
Hot date with the radiator. Uh oh, the microwave's getting jealous!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #112172 on: September 03, 2013, 04:42:14 am »

...The imagery made my day xD Though I don't have any radiators despite the ~13C atmosphere here.

...Yeah, I've a thing with text, reading and the imagination..it's always too clear.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ãƒ®ã€‚)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #112173 on: September 03, 2013, 09:20:47 am »

hold on

the bay gets a dating sim?
a math dating sim...?

vector pm me your bank details i want this so much i am willing to pay for it

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #112174 on: September 03, 2013, 10:31:34 am »

I've been throwing money at the screen for hours, but it isn't doing anything.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112175 on: September 03, 2013, 10:40:32 am »

*Looks at my toaster in a satisfying way*
*The toast comes flying out in a spectacular way with both sides evenly cooked, my mouth is watering*

This is a horrible presence please stop :P
I might as well go buy a floppy drive for my computer again.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112176 on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:37 pm »

Actually, if I could get strong enough art, animation, and music support, I was strongly considering selling it.  I would obviously be paying someone up-front for the labor in that event, then probably giving them a percentage of the proceeds with that initial bite taken out of it.  (So, 10% to a charity funding access to STEM fields, 30% writing/programming team, 20% music/SFX team [-bankroll], 20% art team [-bankroll], 20% animation team [-bankroll], or something like that--this assumes that each "team" comprises one person, we have no Kickstarter, and that we're going to make no money, LOL; obviously, everyone except for me will be making minimum wage or better for their time, since I, as the person who is building this thing, shall take all the glory [. . . kidding])

With what I envision just now, I expect it to be a 2-year project or so, with the expectation that I'll be working slowly (I'll have grad courses, job/job search, other writing projects, my translation career to get off the ground, bad movies to watch, etc.).  My goal is to have a concept I'm ready to run with fleshed out by the end of September.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:32:26 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112177 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »

Two years, huh...

I'll chalk that up as yet another reason to not bail this plane of existence like it's freedom and I'm invading Czechoslovakia.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #112178 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »

I know for a fact that we have some pretty talented folks here.

Not me, though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112179 on: September 03, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »

Well, I'm trying to be realistic and reasonable.  I know myself and the likelihood of taking two months off in the middle of the project before the final push/period of working with other people begins is extraordinarily high.  I also want the other folks to be able to spread their work over a couple months rather than entering "LOL YOU'VE BEEN COMMISSIONED" hell.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112180 on: September 03, 2013, 12:39:04 pm »

Wow.  That turned serious pretty quickly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112181 on: September 03, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »

. . . No, don't worry, it's just that INT* thing.  Every time I have an idea I automatically develop a timeframe, figure out what I'll need in terms of outside support and additional knowledge base, and then run feasibility before I go back to ignoring deadlines and never getting anything done.  Also, I've had an idea like this one in the back of my head for a long time, so the sudden interest lanced the boil.

This will probably come to nothing, but thinking about creating something beautiful and expansive that other people will enjoy makes me happy, so I'm doing it.

[/is embarrassed]

Also, it gives me a reason to save my money.

EDIT: Okay, bye guys, I'm going to go crawl in a hole and die.  Forever.  Please forget everything I've said in the past hour or so, and possibly also my entire existence if that would make you feel any better.  I'm pretty sure it's inherently embarrassing, like, some sort of aura that makes awkward things happen.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:47:48 pm by Vector »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112182 on: September 03, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »

no

fuck

why do all the artists i consider promising decide it's too embarassing to work with material before they produce anything i were about to post "why yes such daydreaming always put me in a better mood" but nope we holes now
i'm not going to say that you're silly for thinking it's shameful (hell, think as you will, i won't go on this debate for personal reasons) but please with a tilde on top don't abandon this project? you don't even have to publish it, i'd just like to prod you towards making one because it'd open up a ~new world~ to you in terms of experiences

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112183 on: September 03, 2013, 01:01:32 pm »

No way.  Why be embarrassed?  Everybody does stuff like that.  I've generated interest for a project among a group of people and then quietly dropped it like half a dozen times.  It just happens.  We get all excited about an idea and really motivated and then life... or just the next idea... Sharing the enthusiasm for a little while is fun enough.  I think people who get too upset when fancies like this don't pan out have a problem with calibrating their expectations.

If you ever get around to looking for artist(s), I may be of help.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #112184 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »

Every time I have an idea I automatically develop a timeframe, figure out what I'll need in terms of outside support and additional knowledge base, and then run feasibility before I go back to ignoring deadlines and never getting anything done. 
Story of all my hobby projects. All of them. I choose not to forget that I'm not the only one who does this >_______>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 7477 7478 [7479] 7480 7481 ... 13325