Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7363 7364 [7365] 7366 7367 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762776 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #110460 on: August 01, 2013, 07:17:39 pm »

Bah, but every game is toting OPEN WORLD OPEN WORLD right now.  It's like a friggin' buzzword for the next-generation console games.  The question is when they're going to get good at doing that.  Personally I'd rather play a well-done corridor than a poorly-done open world, but I fully admit that people need practice sandboxing before they get good at it.

Anyway.  I'm looking forward to MGSV and The Witcher 3, myself, and may there be many more to come.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #110461 on: August 01, 2013, 07:19:50 pm »

The Witcher 3?
My day just got better.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #110462 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:10 pm »

My problem is that games are trying to emulate different art forms, such as movies. Video games is one of the forms of narrative that are perfect for a non-linear plot line, yet many people within the industry want to be regarding as an actual artistic medium, but they're going about it the wrong way and trying to copy how movies do everything. Movies don't have any audience input, and you're pretty much there to watch exactly what the makers of the movie intended you to see. In video games, every player progresses in the game in different ways, even if they're slight variations. They might miss some extra bit of lore they could find in the environment, they might due quest B before doing quest A, and they might find bugs or things the developers simply didn't intend for there to be in the first place. For games to become respected as their own legitimate form of media, they can't just copy already established media and expect people to take them seriously.

If you want a good explanation that pretty much explains what I'm trying to get across, as well as touching base on some of the Mass Effect issues here's a well-thought out video that explains a lot of things pretty well.

Bah, but every game is toting OPEN WORLD OPEN WORLD right now.  It's like a friggin' buzzword for the next-generation console games.  The question is when they're going to get good at doing that.  Personally I'd rather play a well-done corridor than a poorly-done open world, but I fully admit that people need practice sandboxing before they get good at it.
When I go off about the linearity of a game and why it's a bad thing, that doesn't necessarily imply that people want open-world games. Linear games need to be done in a way that isn't handholding and forcing you along a certain path. It's perfectly fine for the plot to be Point A>Point B>Point C, but it shouldn't be similar to strapping yourself into a roller-coaster ride.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110463 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:36 pm »

Also, I am like the queen of the JRPGs or something.

hmm

well i won't contest that title but now that you claimed it you also claimed an unwieldy amount of unhealthy expectations that i will now throw onto you like one would expect from the queen of the jrpgs

and now i will have to take the ridiculously long hair that was produced within my severely misjudged view of the forumites and spin it into ringlets

my headcanon would fill about four pages of the wtf thread, i estimate.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110464 on: August 01, 2013, 07:28:42 pm »

When I go off about the linearity of a game and why it's a bad thing, that doesn't necessarily imply that people want open-world games. Linear games need to be done in a way that isn't handholding and forcing you along a certain path. It's perfectly fine for the plot to be Point A>Point B>Point C, but it shouldn't be similar to strapping yourself into a roller-coaster ride.

Ahhhh, now I get what you're saying.  That makes sense.  Again, for this specific game I don't mind, but in general... yeah.

well i won't contest that title but now that you claimed it you also claimed an unwieldy amount of unhealthy expectations that i will now throw onto you like one would expect from the queen of the jrpgs

I'm not the actual queen of JRPGs, but I do enjoy them to a point that may be somewhat unhealthy.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:54:06 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110465 on: August 01, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »

That is amazing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #110466 on: August 01, 2013, 07:59:18 pm »

I got 99 days logged on Bay12, and a dwarf ain't one.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110467 on: August 01, 2013, 08:01:49 pm »

Saw that sign last night. Ha. Anyway, just finished the updated version of Broforce with only two losses, the Terrorkopter and the final boss. I think I barely used Brolliam, though. He and Brode are my favorites to play as.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110468 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »

Japan is just great, because of that.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110469 on: August 01, 2013, 08:04:44 pm »

They've probably planned that since the country was first founded. I don't know how they did it but they made sure it would rhyme so they could make that sign and I'm ok with this.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110470 on: August 01, 2013, 08:05:22 pm »

They've probably planned that since the country was first founded. I don't know how they did it but they made sure it would rhyme so they could make that sign.
It was actually a photoshop. There's supposed to be Japanese text above "Welcome to Japan".
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #110471 on: August 01, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »

In three days, I shall strike.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110472 on: August 01, 2013, 08:12:53 pm »

In three days, I shall strike.

hohoho~

i've got your back. pm me the details, don't worry - i'll just feign insanity if they catch me~

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #110473 on: August 01, 2013, 09:33:45 pm »

Played Munchkin with friends today. Noteworthy events were when I got my 5 turn long dragon slaying plan got blasted to bits by one person forcing all of us to descard our hands, and when I forgot that Divine Intervention had to be played immediately which resulted in an extremely anticlimactic ending when I suddenly remmebered two turns later  and wound up giving away the win (and the right to mock everyone as according to the card).
It's FEF, not FEOF

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110474 on: August 01, 2013, 09:51:34 pm »

I just finished preparing a pretty much perfect resume and references sheet.  Boy, I feel so much better.  I might also drop the $5 on the new humble bundle, because it's full of games I was interested.

Now to shoot aliens for a while, do my pressing job app, and make a resume in the other style for that curriculum development job <3 <3 <3

Pages: 1 ... 7363 7364 [7365] 7366 7367 ... 13325