Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7042 7043 [7044] 7045 7046 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15829020 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #105645 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:02 pm »

But, I thought Eskimo means something like 'eater of raw flesh'.

Are you telling me Eskimos don't want to be awesome D:?
True, that is the meaning, however in Greenland it is somewhat of an insult, noot a big one tough.
At least from what I know.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #105646 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:19 pm »

Real "eskimos" don't want to be stereotyped as people who live in igloos and eat nothing but whale flesh all year.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #105647 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:49 pm »

Eskimo means something like 'eater of raw flesh'
True, that is the meaning

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #105648 on: May 13, 2013, 12:31:44 pm »

Just spent had a long-ish walk through town with a girl in the pouring rain. Was fun.

Couldn't get this song out of my head the whole time.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105649 on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:00 pm »

You're learning Eskimo?
In Greenland, people would prefer to call themselves Inuit (Which means people), I am sure the Canadian equivalent would prefer something else as well.
Same deal here.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #105650 on: May 13, 2013, 12:47:33 pm »

i arrived at co-op half an hour early so im leaving half an hour early!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105651 on: May 13, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »

You're learning Eskimo?
In Greenland, people would prefer to call themselves Inuit (Which means people), I am sure the Canadian equivalent would prefer something else as well.
IIRC Eskimoes live around the north of Russia.
I'll probably check Wikipedia and come back later with more specificness.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:32:34 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #105652 on: May 13, 2013, 01:24:58 pm »

I've heard that a couple other cultures prefer to call themselves "people," "the people." Second-hand, that Comanche is actually a direct translation of such.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105653 on: May 13, 2013, 02:09:11 pm »

Yeah, what I'm trying to say is that I've been watching BBC Sherlock and everything Moffat is explicitly more responsible for is not only 10x more racist and sexist, but the plots are terrible and full of holes.  I'm not watching and then thinking "Ooh, better pop in Doctor Who next!"

Happy: I'm going to do great on my exam tomorrow!  :I  And I got 10 hours of sleep last night, during which I figured out something I thought I'd (embarassingly) have to go to office hours for.

EDIT: Yeah, consider the Germans, for example.  The word "germane," meaning "relevant" or "relative" comes from the same route, so "German" really means something like "the tribe."  The English define the Germanic folks as their pals... kind of interesting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:11:56 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105654 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:06 pm »

The semester is over! Yes! YES!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #105655 on: May 13, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »

It depends on what Inuit/Yup'ik you're talking to. The problem is that "Eskimo" covers not only the Inuit (who are spread between the north coast of Alaska, the north coast of Canada and Greeland) but also the Yup'ik, who live on the Alaskan west coast. I know "Eskimo" is considered derogatory in Canada. I think it's a bit more nuanced in Alaska, but I'm not sure.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #105656 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:25 pm »

I praise Moffat for making the Dr. Who fandom so angry that I'm getting to witness the drama without having to actively search it out. This stuff is more entertaining to me than Dr. Who has ever been, so if Moffat is responsible then good job and keep going.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #105657 on: May 13, 2013, 02:38:30 pm »

Yeah, what I'm trying to say is that I've been watching BBC Sherlock and everything Moffat is explicitly more responsible for is not only 10x more racist and sexist, but the plots are terrible and full of holes.  I'm not watching and then thinking "Ooh, better pop in Doctor Who next!"

Happy: I'm going to do great on my exam tomorrow!  :I  And I got 10 hours of sleep last night, during which I figured out something I thought I'd (embarassingly) have to go to office hours for.

EDIT: Yeah, consider the Germans, for example.  The word "germane," meaning "relevant" or "relative" comes from the same route, so "German" really means something like "the tribe."  The English define the Germanic folks as their pals... kind of interesting.

Well Moffat is only in charge for season 5-7 so if that is your main problem with it you may enjoy some of the earlier ones
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:40:14 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #105658 on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:27 pm »

Rumors of the 780 cards from NVidia indicate they will basically be tuned-down Titan GPUs. Which means tons more GPGPU performance. WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105659 on: May 13, 2013, 02:53:01 pm »

Wolfeyez just made sausage-biscuits-gravy-and-scrambled-eggs for lunch. It is truly the food of the heavens.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 7042 7043 [7044] 7045 7046 ... 13326