Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6993 6994 [6995] 6996 6997 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771679 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #104910 on: May 04, 2013, 04:05:02 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:22:35 pm by Ogdibus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #104911 on: May 04, 2013, 04:24:23 am »

That was what I was more butthurt about than anything else. Why the hell should I not ressurect dinosaurs and put them on a private island if I'm rich enough to do it? 'Man should not mess with the way of things?' 'It is not our place?' Fuck your morals, I have science!
Because you should be wary of the repercussions. I find the idea of 'playing God' being an affably poor argument against scientific progress, but releasing animals that have been extinct for millions of years onto the world's ecosystems merely because you have money?
No.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104912 on: May 04, 2013, 05:41:46 am »

I agree with a lot of people that much of the movie didn't make sense because they changed the personality of the CEO entirely. In the book, he was a corrupt corperate executive that was cutting projects everywhere, and the security systems barely worked at all even before sabotage because of a bunch of reasons.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104913 on: May 04, 2013, 06:13:46 am »

I just thought it was a great adventure movie.  Could be my nostalgia speaking, since I saw first saw it in the theater when I was a kid.  I just think it was very well paced and has some of the most tense movie scenes ever.  The scene with the T-Rex attacking the car or the raptors hunting the kids in the kitchen are both amazing pieces of cinematography.  The sound work especially.  The visuals may have been groundbreaking, but a well engineered sound effect with the right timing has such an impact and Jurassic Park used that so well.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104914 on: May 04, 2013, 06:44:35 am »

I get to see him again today!

* Descan lets out a squeak of joy
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #104915 on: May 04, 2013, 07:27:09 am »

I just thought it was a great adventure movie.  Could be my nostalgia speaking, since I saw first saw it in the theater when I was a kid.  I just think it was very well paced and has some of the most tense movie scenes ever.  The scene with the T-Rex attacking the car or the raptors hunting the kids in the kitchen are both amazing pieces of cinematography.  The sound work especially.  The visuals may have been groundbreaking, but a well engineered sound effect with the right timing has such an impact and Jurassic Park used that so well.
Oh I agree it was a good movie in those respects. They even visualised their sound effects.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #104916 on: May 04, 2013, 08:36:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BOOM!

[Explosions are in vast supply on the internets].

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #104917 on: May 04, 2013, 09:30:08 am »

I've always disliked Michael Crichton's neo-luddism and fearmongering about new technologies&discoveries (not just biotech, he also railed against DBS, and global warming). With Jurassic Park the joke's on him, though. People ignored his "genetic engineering is evul!" message in favor of the more obvious,  "Dinosaurs fuck yeah!" message.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #104918 on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:35 am »

Watching the Godfather at home today.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #104919 on: May 04, 2013, 10:26:15 am »

Although now I'm drawn back to my rage about how that movie's message goes contrary to science by saying 'it was only a matter of time until they escaped so we shouldn't clone dinosaurs hurr' when it took an inside man high up in the organization shutting down every security measure and the biologists in charge of recontructing the DNA not knowing that the frog DNA they used could change from female to male to cause the dinos to pose any kind of threat.

I believe the point was supposed to be that if none of that had gone wrong, something else would have.

I've always disliked Michael Crichton's neo-luddism and fearmongering about new technologies&discoveries (not just biotech, he also railed against DBS, and global warming). With Jurassic Park the joke's on him, though. People ignored his "genetic engineering is evul!" message in favor of the more obvious,  "Dinosaurs fuck yeah!" message.

The moral of The Lost World is that the internet is evil. Why? Because the velociraptors are crueler than the other dinosaurs.

There was some pretty badass dinosaur stuff in it, though.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #104920 on: May 04, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »

Mmmm.

Banana milk is so goooood.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104921 on: May 04, 2013, 01:13:37 pm »

Europa Barbarorum. It is quite possibly more complex than vanilla DF.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104922 on: May 04, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »

Europa Barbarorum. It is quite possibly more complex than vanilla DF.

Linky?
This is a blank sig.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104923 on: May 04, 2013, 01:24:10 pm »

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

It's a mod for Rome: Total War.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104924 on: May 04, 2013, 01:29:34 pm »

That really was Crichton's schtick. Sphere was the first of his books that I read, and I rather enjoyed it, prompting me to go out and buy his other books from used book stores. Fast forward about twelve more books, sans ten dollars, and I'm left wondering why the hell I bought them all. I soldiered through the one on global warming (urgh, wasn't even a great novel) and then gave up on the one about abortion. Honestly, I'd be happy just to own Sphere, Andromeda Strain, and Jurassic Park. The rest are probably going to go sit in a box somewhere.

In happier news, I shoveled out the money to nab a prepaid card and pre-ordered Starbound with it. I can't wait for the beta.
I enjoyed Crichton's books. Yeah, they were a little anti-science, but I was more fascinated by the (pseudo)science than the intended message.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6993 6994 [6995] 6996 6997 ... 13325