Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6862 6863 [6864] 6865 6866 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15779406 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [┌('~`;)┐] The burritos are back, Tomoko ate them. (Happy thread)
« Reply #102945 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:30 am »

Going to wrestling practice at 5:30 in the AM and I'm ultra stoked about it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #102946 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:04 am »

Eh... It was a good game, but all Zelda games are cursed to have to be compared to The Legend of Zelda (NES) and Zelda II: The adventure of Link (NES) and those games were... Well they were something else. They are the alpha and the omega. Sad that I can't just judge a game by its own merits instead of rivaling it with its ancestry, but such is the nature of a series.

Link to the Past for me.  By far my favorite.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102947 on: April 04, 2013, 08:42:57 am »

I've never heard anyone say that Zelda 2 was one of their favorites before. Not that it deserves all the flak it gets, though. I still liked it a lot.

I liked Minish Cap a great deal, but the world felt too small (sort of odd considering you shrink down). The scale thing feels sort of off-putting.

Though I've been playing them since the beginning, I still have the fondest memories of OoT. However, I never had a chance to play ALttP until it came out on the GBA because my SNES broke.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102948 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:36 am »

Link to the past was very... Hold-your-hand-ish.
You will need to talk to this old guy, he is here, let me mark it on your map!
Now you need three doodads. Just look for them on your map.
Now save the girls. Map.

As opposed to... Nothing. Nobody even tells you to get the wooden sword. Heck, in Link to the Past you can't even do it right without being hit over the head with directions to start.

I've never heard anyone say that Zelda 2 was one of their favorites before. Not that it deserves all the flak it gets, though. I still liked it a lot.

I liked Minish Cap a great deal, but the world felt too small (sort of odd considering you shrink down). The scale thing feels sort of off-putting.

Though I've been playing them since the beginning, I still have the fondest memories of OoT. However, I never had a chance to play ALttP until it came out on the GBA because my SNES broke.
I'm pretty sure that the only way to not like Zelda 2 is if you accidently got a rom hack, one that made the game... hard.

There are some epic Z2 rom hacks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #102949 on: April 04, 2013, 08:58:46 am »

Link to the past was very... Hold-your-hand-ish.
You will need to talk to this old guy, he is here, let me mark it on your map!
Now you need three doodads. Just look for them on your map.
Now save the girls. Map.

As opposed to... Nothing. Nobody even tells you to get the wooden sword. Heck, in Link to the Past you can't even do it right without being hit over the head with directions to start.

Which I totally don't mind.  I think that's one major difference between me and most Zelda fans.  I absolutely hate having to figure out where the game wants me to go.  Give me difficult gameplay, not difficult "what the fuck do I do."  There's better ways to do exploration than wandering aimlessly on massive, featureless open fields for hours, hoping you eventually stumble upon whatever it is you're supposed to do by chance.  I haven't been able to enjoy a single Zelda game since it went 3d.  The wandering bores me and I give up.

Link to the Past had the best ambience and personality (in my opinion), the balance between open world freedom and ease of movement between game events was perfect, and every area was designed to have unique gameplay features and purpose.  There was a sense of scale to the world map without resorting to wasted empty space.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102950 on: April 04, 2013, 09:03:22 am »

Eh, the 3d ones aren't that great... Still, Zelda 1 did it well. First time you played you saw things like heart containers out in the ocean and knew somehow you must be able to get to it, but didn't know how until you got that item...

I think the new Zelda games don't tease you nearly enough to use exploration in the way they are trying... When you get a new item, you should be thinking 'Oh my god yes! Now I can see what is over there!!!' rather than 'Welp, that is how I beat this temple, when is the boss?'

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #102951 on: April 04, 2013, 09:04:51 am »

I've only ever played the original.  :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #102952 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:49 am »

I must admit, I don't remember the first two games very well.  I think it's been about 22 years...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102953 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:07 am »

I envy you both. To have the chance to play the first two as a new(ish) experience... very lucky.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102954 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:15 am »

Not... not really. I tried Z1 not too terribly long ago (I'd watched it played once or twice way back when) and just... couldn't do it. I've got a pretty high tolerance for older stuff (there's a number of other NES games I chew on occasionally quite happily), but Z1 I just couldn't do. Stuff was just... clumsy. It wasn't fun to play :-\

Still need to try Z2 one of these days. I kinda' like the sidescrolling parts of Link's Awakening. Liked LA in general, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102955 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:42 am »

[...]I can't drink a gallon jug of milk before it goes bad :-\

That's because YOU ARE WEAK!

And don't know all the wonderful things you can do with milk.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102956 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:10 am »

I know of many wonderful things one can do with milk.

Unfortunately, of the ones involving food, I don't have the makings, or the particular means of acquiring the makings, for them to a degree sufficient to go through a gallon of milk before it starts going rancid. I just don't eat that much, and would generally much rather drink water.

... and of the rest, I'm not terribly interested in that particular subset of shenanigans.
Ask not!
Ask!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102957 on: April 04, 2013, 09:35:19 am »

Turn the gallon of milk into a gallon of yogurt. It will last much longer and is pretty simple and easy to do.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102958 on: April 04, 2013, 09:38:07 am »

Don't... don't like yogurt.

Though I guess some of the other folks around me do... guess I'll look into it. Too late for this batch, I think, but the next time someone foists an excess of milk on to me I'll see about it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102959 on: April 04, 2013, 10:02:42 am »

Just had a physical and I'm apparently in perfect health! Or would be, if I wasn't overweight, and even that I'm doing good on!

120/80, breathing and heart-rate are fine, testicles are not thus-far cancer-ridden (woo).

Only thing left is the blood work and even that is just a base-line thing.

I remember an N64 game that the only things I remember were you started in a great big castle, and when you got out of it, you had random encounters. The fighting was in a a smallish arena that popped up on the field, a sort of greenish (or red?) ring that you had to stay in to fight the wolves (or werewolves) at the begining, the only enemies I even halfway remember.

I thought it was a Zelda game but I don't know what it actually is! I don't think it is a Zelda game though. :/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:04:49 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6862 6863 [6864] 6865 6866 ... 13325