Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6744 6745 [6746] 6747 6748 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15802325 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #101175 on: March 12, 2013, 10:51:11 am »

My next RTD is 75% (80%? 90%? hard to tell exactly) done with the rules writing and all the preliminary work figuring out exactly how the mechanics will work. Yay! Soon it shall overtake the RTD sub-forum, and obtain trillions of posts within days, breaking the interwebs.

My RTD, I just kind of jumped out of the gate with it. I did the mechanics as the need came up. >.> "Oh shit, I need health. Well, jacking DnD style health. Er, shit, I need levels or this will be the same thing forever. Ah, okay, I'll invent classes AND levels..." Needless to say, it got horrifyingly complex REALLY FAST.

Yeah, I did that with my first RTD.
I ended up adding/changing rules nearly every single turn, and although it wasn't a disaster, it was a huge pain in the butt not having worked out rules that would last through the whole game beforehand. It was my first RTD though, so I don't know if I could have (and it helped me work out what didn't quite work as well), but I really want the rules to be established beforehand and not to change during the game at all.

If you want to see the two ways I've done RTD, check out both of mine. I feel like I strongly benefited from having established rules at the beginning of both of them, although the Madoka one is still in its infancy so I guess it could still turn out badly. I think it's going to go well, though.

Mayfly is a much more casual one. I set up basic rules at the beginning and pretty much everything else is done on the fly. There's not too much character progression, but whatever there is gets assigned to players after they've done enough stuff to warrant being more experienced. The Madoka one has a rigorous set of attributes and a level system. I'm still making up abilities and attacks on the fly, but I've got a system to base it off of that's pretty much set in stone.

I tried a couple with no rules back when RTD stuff had just started, but it got really chaotic, which is fine if you're into universe destroying ghosts and shit, but I always find that roleplaying is at its best with some restrictions to work within. You can always make up rules as you go along to deal with crazy shit, but I think that just makes it more difficult for your players to follow and makes them feel like they're being punished when you make rules to react to what they're doing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #101176 on: March 12, 2013, 11:09:13 am »

Why do you think everyone's been waging a sixty year war against them? We need that tree. But their soldiers are so competent they've held us back for so long, even the citizens haven't noticed we've been fighting them!
I hear that the glorious leader has a secret about the trees. I'm not sure how he does it, but somehow...he got that tree to grow from the dirt!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101177 on: March 12, 2013, 11:10:27 am »

Is it normal to be completely perplexed by the RTD board? I want to give it a go, but it looks sort of freaky. There are an hundred places to start, most of them so far advanced that there's no hope catching up.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #101178 on: March 12, 2013, 11:12:46 am »

Just wait until you see a new one (As in, still getting set up), then jump in. You can even start your own. That's how I got started.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101179 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:14 am »

Why do you think everyone's been waging a sixty year war against them? We need that tree. But their soldiers are so competent they've held us back for so long, even the citizens haven't noticed we've been fighting them!
Ever since Operation Paul Bunyan, when we cut down their other tree, tensions have been really high.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101180 on: March 12, 2013, 12:37:15 pm »

My hair is -awesome-.

... That is all.

HAPPY: SC1 CAMPAIGN IN STARCRAFT 2.

HAPPY.

HAPPY.

HAPPY.

happy
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101181 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:32 pm »

Always great when the devs remake their earlier works and make them good again. It eliminates the complexity of getting a console to play the earlier game and allows new people to enjoy what got them into the series. Plus DLC makes it even easier!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101182 on: March 12, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »

Ah, no, this is a fan re-make. It's happy because the SC1 story was so, so great! But I like most of the interface changes in the sequel. So having them mashed together... Nom.

Also, apparently in ASCII 42 is *, or wildcard. Uh, is that true?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #101183 on: March 12, 2013, 12:53:12 pm »

It's true. Turn on numlock, hold alt and press 042 on the numpad, then let go of alt.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101184 on: March 12, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »

Aww, that could have been an interesting idea for like an expansion pack or something. Devs should do something like that more often. Imagine the original Fallout remade in the Skyrim engine as a DLC. It'd be huge but it'd increase sales like a callgirl who cooks you breakfast in the morning.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101185 on: March 12, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »

It's true. Turn on numlock, hold alt and press 042 on the numpad, then let go of alt.
So the Answer is actually... Wildcard. Huh.

Cool, reddit was right.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101186 on: March 12, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »

My next RTD is 75% (80%? 90%? hard to tell exactly) done with the rules writing and all the preliminary work figuring out exactly how the mechanics will work. Yay! Soon it shall overtake the RTD sub-forum, and obtain trillions of posts within days, breaking the interwebs.

My RTD, I just kind of jumped out of the gate with it. I did the mechanics as the need came up. >.> "Oh shit, I need health. Well, jacking DnD style health. Er, shit, I need levels or this will be the same thing forever. Ah, okay, I'll invent classes AND levels..." Needless to say, it got horrifyingly complex REALLY FAST.
Yeah, I did that with my first RTD.
I ended up adding/changing rules nearly every single turn, and although it wasn't a disaster, it was a huge pain in the butt not having worked out rules that would last through the whole game beforehand. It was my first RTD though, so I don't know if I could have (and it helped me work out what didn't quite work as well), but I really want the rules to be established beforehand and not to change during the game at all.

Eh, I feel like if I ever do an RTD, I'll make up the rules on the fly. I'm good at remembering inane things :P

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #101187 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:41 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/13/us/colorado-legalizes-civil-unions-for-same-sex-couples.html?_r=0

I'll take 2nd class citizenship over no class citizenship any day.

The timing is rather fortuitous given the upcoming SCOTUS cases on DOMA and federal restrictions upon gay marriage.

I have to say, things are progressing faster than I would've anticipated. Back in the day it was understood that DADT was barely a way to stay in the service. You'd stop a bullet just as well as a straight guy and cheaper too.

Are people actually beginning to vote for this or is it mere lip service? Time will tell, and I hope for a certain answer.... :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:46:29 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #101188 on: March 12, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »

You Americans are so poor! We Irish are so rich! We get four cups of hot snow PER DAY!

So I finished off a post in an RP I really needed to make, so now the pressure's off me. I'm kicking back and listening to Voltaire feeling good.
Yes you did need to finish that.
<.<
And I am grateful.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101189 on: March 12, 2013, 06:05:40 pm »

Spent two and a half hours talking with a friend. feelsgoodman + my social obligations for the week are complete.  ^.^

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6744 6745 [6746] 6747 6748 ... 13325