Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6729 6730 [6731] 6732 6733 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15808636 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100950 on: March 10, 2013, 06:39:24 pm »

A thousand years from now the world will be incredibly different from the one we inhabit.  A person living in the year 1000 would have probably been incapable of even imagining many of the things we take for granted, and with the increased speed of technological and societal change it seems likely that the differences between the present day and the year 3000 will be even greater.  Even the most progressive of us will appear to have held antiquated and ignorant views, our greatest struggles will be mere footnotes in history (if they're remembered at all) and major cultural/societal issues will be forgotten, presumably to be replaced by new ones.  Even the very concepts of sovereign and federated states are relatively new and may cease to exist.

Dust in the wind, eh?

I think this makes me happy.  Not 100% sure though.
This pleases me, as my goal in life is (well, one of them goals) Is to irrevocably alter the course of human history. This s a useful goal, because even if I don't manage anythign till I'm like 50 I can always decide to be a assasin and kill a president.

(Watch as I am arrested on my 49th birthday)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100951 on: March 10, 2013, 06:41:14 pm »

Depending on how much weight you put into butterfly effects, you've already irrevocably altered the course of human history.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100952 on: March 10, 2013, 06:44:00 pm »

Depending on how much weight you put into butterfly effects, you've already irrevocably altered the course of human history.
But that's boring. I want to make a specter of myself. Who doesn't know Abraham Lincoln's name? Or Lee Harvey Oswald, for that matter? From Nebachunezzer, to Gavrilo Princip, some people won't ever leave consiousness in the forseeable future.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100953 on: March 10, 2013, 06:47:26 pm »

... Gavrilo who?

Not too sure how well tall and beardy or Lee boy are known outside the states, either. Plus I'd wager that while a lot of people know Neb's name, not very many at all know who the hell he/she/it was/did. Hint: I've forgotten, if I ever actually knew.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100954 on: March 10, 2013, 06:49:27 pm »

Gavrilo? Perhaps you'll remember the man he killed? A little dude by the name of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #100955 on: March 10, 2013, 06:51:14 pm »

Same is true for Lincoln. Sure, he was a US president. But other than I have no idea what that dude ever did.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #100956 on: March 10, 2013, 06:52:00 pm »

This pleases me, as my goal in life is (well, one of them goals) Is to irrevocably alter the course of human history. This s a useful goal, because even if I don't manage anythign till I'm like 50 I can always decide to be a assasin and kill a president.

(Watch as I am arrested on my 49th birthday)
You fool. You think it is the one who burns the cards that the world remembers? Of the one who lives to undo mortal progress?
It is those who look at the hostile expanses of the world, surrounded by those who would ignorantly set aside their lives for triviality that leave the world for the ones who see the void and say we shall make it ours.
Every infinitely small action changes the course of humanity. Every breath, every fiber of our being and every beat of a heart that stops.
Make the world know that we lived for greatness. Focus our progress to one that will last longer than the stars themselves, until creation tells us we should die and we tell it to fuck off. That is humanity's creed. That is humanity's greatness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100957 on: March 10, 2013, 06:53:51 pm »

Franz I remember, Gavvy not so much. Honestly, I'm not even sure if the history book they foisted on us in grade school mentioned it. And damn, I actually paid attention in the history classes, which... yeah.

But hey, being remembered by a few hundred people is a thing, I guess. Doesn't take much for that. Dude that invented the slide ruler was awesome. Probably be remembered longer than Gavvy or Lee will be, too. Hell, already managed a few more centuries, I think.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100958 on: March 10, 2013, 06:57:43 pm »

Asked out my best friend. Got a yes!

Spoiler: Yesterday (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #100959 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »

ARGHH! Cease your misuse of epic at once this instance!

On the other hand, congratulations!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100960 on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:17 pm »

It's relative. Known people, such as Lincoln, are especially known in America, because of his role there. Is he as widely known (and what he did) in the rest of the world ? No. People may have heard his name, or may not, may know what he did, or not.

History is subjective, and made by people, the historians. Famous people varies from country to country. Will someone known now be remembered in 50-100 years ? Probably no, or at least, not as much. We know what happened 1000 years ago. There's not a lot of people that are remarkable from then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #100961 on: March 10, 2013, 07:10:16 pm »

History is subjective, and made by people, the historians.
That is called propaganda. I shed a tear for the lost history, in a sea of disinformation...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100962 on: March 10, 2013, 07:20:43 pm »

Asked out my best friend. Got a yes!

Spoiler: Yesterday (click to show/hide)
*eyebrow raise at the word "friendzone"*

Other than that, hope your date goes well~ Also, standard dating advice that's relevant no matter who you ask out, such as don't be too disappointed if you don't get a second date or if things go badly, don't over plan, try to relax and be yourself, etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100963 on: March 10, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »

History is subjective, and made by people, the historians.
That is called propaganda. I shed a tear for the lost history, in a sea of disinformation...
History is made by the winner. I've yet to see history as something objective. Everyone knows about the Holocaust, but not a lot of people knows about Biafra. Yet, who would say Biafra wasn't 'important' ?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100964 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »

Same is true for Lincoln. Sure, he was a US president. But other than I have no idea what that dude ever did.
Here's a true-to-life documentary on the man.

But yes, he's the one who held the U.S. together during our Civil War, made large hats fashionable, and spawned thousands of conspiracy theories ranging from him actually being a woman with a fantastic beard to him being Elvis after coming back in time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6729 6730 [6731] 6732 6733 ... 13326