Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6715 6716 [6717] 6718 6719 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15832730 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100740 on: March 07, 2013, 12:46:41 pm »

I should cook MZ with lemon zest.
Use orange. You'll need the more powerful flavor to get through my chest hair.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100741 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:45 pm »

So, is anyone familiar with http://www.N4Gtv.com? I was just approached by them for a partnership offer on my Youtube Channel, and I'm debating whether or not to take it.

Spoiler: The Offer (click to show/hide)

It's pretty exciting; I've been hoping for an offer for a while, though I've heard horror stories about partnerships before... Machinima is one I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, and TheGameStation is okay, but a bit restrictive on content and style. N4Gtv seems to be pretty young, but their policies don't seem as draconian as others, and the contract is only for a year. Not so fond of the 40% for me, 60% for them revenue share, but it might be a net gain if they bring in traffic. It'd be kinda neat to help a new network grow, they seem to have a good attitude, and if more people come out of it entertained, that's a net win for me.

I've got to admit, there's a part of me that wants to earn any success on my own merit, without having to be tied to a network... but I recognize that these days, anything other than small Youtube channels need some kind of sponsorship and the protection it offers, or copyright lawyers will swoop down to prey on your success and lack of legal protection, and demand that they be able to take down or monetize your content, and all sorts of other bullcrap.

Such is life on the harsh people-who-talk-at-microphones-while-playing-video-games frontier.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100742 on: March 07, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »

Well from the way the email is written it appears to have been sent to a group of people en mass, which means that they either had someone browse by and say "This one looks good", or just had a web crawler pick you out... Either way they don't seem terribly picky about who they partner with, especially since their website says the only requirement is 300 daily views, or 9000! monthly views (and they have a sign up form).

They say they give you royalty free music and pictures/thumbnails and such, but this sounds suspiciously like it's just them giving you their collection of free art assets they got, they might have hired their own artists or bought the rights to some stuff for their partners to use, but I dunno, it doesn't seem all that useful to you given you're capable of making your own anyway.

They also seem to be brand new, I don't think they've been around for more than three months or so... I'm not sure if the viewership boost they could offer could offset losing 60% of profits? They certainly don't seem to be a popular network.

My instinct is telling me the better option is going to be to wait and see. The way they seem to be doing their business model, that contract will likely still be just as fresh in a few months time... They could wind up being really hot stuff, but it doesn't seem likely, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

On the other hand if you don't particularly value the ad revenue from your current youtube channel setup... It might be worth giving it a shot?

I don't know, it's your decision, and I'm not exactly the worlds greatest expert on this stuff.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100743 on: March 07, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »

They seem to be legitimate, but they also seem to be rather unpopular and I'm not sure they're going anywhere.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100744 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »

My grandma tried to say "unsubscribed" but said "unscrambled." That's the most adorable grandmaism she's had since "flustrated."

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100745 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »

They seem to be legitimate, but they also seem to be rather unpopular and I'm not sure they're going anywhere.
Their channel doesn't even say "Great gaming content" or such, it just says "Partner your channel today". Dunno how they want to be popular with that kind of attitude.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100747 on: March 07, 2013, 02:46:58 pm »

So, is anyone familiar with http://www.N4Gtv.com? I was just approached by them for a partnership offer on my Youtube Channel, and I'm debating whether or not to take it.

Yeah, they're only 2 months old, and this is hardly too good to be true. They seem to have built up enough support infrastructure to be taking themselves seriously, though. And yeah, though their most popular video series are only getting about 1/2 to 1/4 the views mine currently do, that would make me the most watched channel on their network... which might help bring in some casual browsers looking to see what the fuss is all about. And helping a young network with a decent set of principals grow wouldn't be all bad.

Honestly, the most attractive part of getting a partnership offer is the legal protections made available from working with a network. I've had to fight off 4 bogus copyright claims by myself, assembling my own legal documentation to defend myself... and I've still lost the right to monetize or show some of my content, because I can't afford a lawyer, and don't have an office where I can request written certifications from every game developer who's work I've featured.

As a bit of background: the teams that file copyright claims on Youtube are separate entities than the copyright holders themselves, and they're paid to browse Youtube looking for channels with content to file claims against. Due to the way Youtube works, the uploader is immediately considered guilty until proven innocent, and they only have one chance to successfully contest these claims, or they can kiss their content goodbye. And anyone can file a copyright violation claim against you. Hell, "FUNimation" recently filed a copyright claim against themselves, and Youtube forced them to take their own content down without even batting an eye:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To top it off, parodies and other transformative works that make use of copyrighted source material, despite being thoroughly protected by Fair Use Law, have started being coopted by copyright holders with the blessing of Youtube. Without the consent of the content creators, Youtube uses their content to illegally create ad revenue streams for the copyright claimants instead. The owners of the channel have no control over it, and no way to fight it but to take down their own content.

So yeah... signing on with some network is looking increasingly attractive, because Youtube pretty much has a Monopoly on streaming media services, leaving users that don't have a legal staff on hand little option but to go along with whatever they say. It's a pretty ugly corner of the internet, all things considered.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:52:15 pm by Solifuge »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100748 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »

As far as I know youtube doesnt have any choice on the matter unless they feel like getting sued.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #100749 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:07 pm »

Man, Deus Ex Human Revolution is a really good game. I've been playing a violent Adam who does have a really nice heart deep down and has a good persuasive streak. I ended up in a gangland row where I took out every gangster except two, who I knocked out. Leaving people to tell the tale is quite piratey. Arrr, I didn't choose this.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100750 on: March 07, 2013, 03:19:06 pm »

As far as I know youtube doesnt have any choice on the matter unless they feel like getting sued.

Ironically, what they've been doing has been ignoring the actual law for convenience's sake. Saving themselves a legal battle saves themselves money, so they start by siding with the party that generally has the capability of initiating a legal battle, and try to dissuade users from pursuing their own legal defense as hard as possible through their policies (eg. you only get one shot to contest a copyright claim against you, and if you don't win you get a bonus fine). Their 3-year legal battle with Viacom made Google a bit paranoid about copyright claims too, so now they play things even safer than they did before.

Users can be accused by anyone, and are instantly assumed guilty until proven innocent... sadly, providing this proof is something very few users can afford to do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:20:43 pm by Solifuge »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100751 on: March 07, 2013, 03:35:04 pm »

<snip>
Well like I said, at the end of the day all you stand to lose is your ad revenue, and if that isn't that much to begin with, I say go for it.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100752 on: March 07, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »

Man, Deus Ex Human Revolution is a really good game. I've been playing a violent Adam who does have a really nice heart deep down and has a good persuasive streak. I ended up in a gangland row where I took out every gangster except two, who I knocked out. Leaving people to tell the tale is quite piratey. Arrr, I didn't choose this.
They can't tell the tale when they are going to be in a coma for the next few years.  Adam Jensen's definition of 'Non-Lethal' is very, very literal. 

I was so upset when my mom broke my disk  I don't feel like paying 20 bucks for a new one, but at the same time I want to play it again. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100753 on: March 07, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »

They can't tell the tale when they are going to be in a coma for the next few years.  Adam Jensen's definition of 'Non-Lethal' is very, very literal. 

I was so upset when my mom broke my disk  I don't feel like paying 20 bucks for a new one, but at the same time I want to play it again. 
I think Steam might take the cd key

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #100754 on: March 07, 2013, 04:19:59 pm »

I disliked HR the moment I was able to execute a room full of hostages, one by one, and not get bitched at in the slightest, aside from the generic 'the hostages died' call.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 6715 6716 [6717] 6718 6719 ... 13326