Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6425 6426 [6427] 6428 6429 ... 13318

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15135989 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #96390 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

But the confirmation that it was something intended for France is enough, I had my doubts because it seemed that the writing only indicated to the model of the watch, like here.

AFAIK Inscriptions like "medaille d'or" or "medaille d'argent" on watches refer to the creator of the model winning an award at an exhibition. So this model won a gold medal in 1895, at an exhibition in France or in the french-speaking part of Switzerland. The watch itself could be from around 1900, but the 1895 refers to the creation of the model or the winning of the award.

Hmmm, that's even more interesting, and gives more sense to some of the stuff I've found. I think it probably means the watch model, since the watchmaker isn't listed anywhere, something I've seen on other watches as well as the place the prize was given. But honestly the age is what's bugging me the most, maybe it's relatively new but wasn't handled with any care whatsoever, or it could be a hundred years old and changed a lot of hands. Something that I'll probably never know, damnable history.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #96391 on: December 29, 2012, 02:58:04 pm »

Hmmm, that's even more interesting, and gives more sense to some of the stuff I've found. I think it probably means the watch model, since the watchmaker isn't listed anywhere, something I've seen on other watches as well as the place the prize was given. But honestly the age is what's bugging me the most, maybe it's relatively new but wasn't handled with any care whatsoever, or it could be a hundred years old and changed a lot of hands. Something that I'll probably never know, damnable history.
You need to look for stamps or serial numbers, if you find any, experts can tell you where and when it was made. It's probably not that new.
It looks like this one:
http://uhrforum.de/flohmarktfund-invicta-medalle-d-or-1895-a-t49393
and apparently the founder of Invicta won an award in Bordeaux in 1895:
http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?13257-R-Picard-%28Invicta%29-Repeater

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #96392 on: December 29, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »

Wow that is an absolutely beautiful watch.

I wouldn't guess it's that new. I've owned a couple of more modern mechanical pocket watches, and just looking at the winder makes me think it's pretty old. And as far as I know Invicta doesn't even make pocket watches anymore and hasn't for years and years, so I'd guess it's at least pretty close to that 1895 date. Seems like the watchmaker won another award a year later, so it's possible it's actually from 1895 or pretty close.

I would definitely look for serial numbers, like Sock said, or take it to an expert regardless.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #96393 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:07 pm »

Here's two watches I found with similiar inscriptions:
One
Two

Quote from the second one: "The dust cover with medals won by Invicta". Meaning the medal was won by the company, which most likely is the same company as the modern Invicta, since according to Wikipedia, it was founded in 1837.

Fake'edit: Ninja'd a couple times.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:23:39 pm by anzki4 »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96394 on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »

Seems like the watchmaker won another award a year later, so it's possible it's actually from 1895 or pretty close.
I thought the same thing, the others I've seen have both awards.
It's really difficult to say more without being an expert. A stamp could tell where the casing was made and a serial number could probably date it exactly.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96395 on: December 29, 2012, 03:44:49 pm »

And unfortunately there isn't any, the only intentional marks on the case are those in the image, the rest is pretty smooth :I

But, I did find out about the working one. It's most similar to IWC Schaffhausen caliber 52, it has a serial number so dating it won't be too hard, but the sites I've been trough all claim slightly different production dates, going from as early as 1888 to as late as 1931.
There seem to be two very similar models, with different production runs, figuring out which one of these it belongs too hopefully won't be much of a hassle.

Anyways, if anyone is wondering the working one looks pretty much like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The back is only engraved with a very faded emblem, and the inside is completely smooth except the serial numbers.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #96396 on: December 29, 2012, 03:48:42 pm »

On another note: I've been two days without a cigarette now.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96397 on: December 29, 2012, 03:49:56 pm »

YAY!

Good job, anzki4!
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #96398 on: December 29, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »

Good job. Pat yourself on the back.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96399 on: December 29, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »

That sorta thing deserves a reward. Maybe a nice cigarette.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96400 on: December 29, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »

It's funny how happy a $50 space heater can make you. We had to pick one up thanks to the 30+-year-old-furnace breaking down, and the house has gotten steadily colder over the past couple of weeks, to the point where hooded sweaters and slippers were house attire. First day with the space heater and the temperature in the house has already gone up 5 degrees.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96401 on: December 29, 2012, 07:17:46 pm »

I found the 'species' game.

I now have dinosaur-like creatures roaming around, slowly going extinct because they have predated most of their prey to near-extinction.
T-t-time travelling dinosaurs?!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96402 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »

I now have dinosaur-like creatures roaming around, slowly going extinct because they have predated most of their prey to near-extinction.
Is this a board game? That was one of the first results I got by googling "species game".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96403 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:47 pm »

Is this a board game? That was one of the first results I got by googling "species game".
No. It's an evolution sim.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #96404 on: December 29, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »

A link would be pleasant :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 6425 6426 [6427] 6428 6429 ... 13318