Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6028 6029 [6030] 6031 6032 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15756004 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things Cirno attempted to eat today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #90435 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:00 pm »

Besides, I never get tired of good sub sandwiches.
That is actually a very good point. 'Variety is the spice of life', and if you keep things varied nothing will get old for eternity.

Now Omniscience is what you have to worry about... Know everything, and nothing is new, nothing is fresh. You know every nuance of what a particular thing is, there is nothing new to explore or experience.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90436 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

Plus, so many aliens to... uh, talk to!

Don't hurt me, Janet.

E: Kai, that's still possible. I don't know what FD was talking about, but that's what I was talking about when I started posting about it~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #90437 on: October 02, 2012, 08:06:15 pm »

I wish to be in no "clique" unless that clique is ~8 billion people large.
Seven billion. There are seven billion humans. We aren't scheduled to hit eight until around 2025.
Ah, okay. Still, that'd put us around 7.4ish currently, no? Considering the context I'd rather overshoot than undershoot :P
As of October 3rd, 2012, the United States Census Bureau estimates the global population to be 7,043,187,288.

And trust me, you'd rather undershoot. We're going to have some serious resource problems because of this population issue.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #90438 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:18 pm »

But when people talk about immortality being bad, "you'll get bored after a while!" gets brought up... like, invariably.

That's what is being discussed.

(Besides, even if you DO get bored eventually, it won't happen for eons.)

I don't understand that whole concept. If there's millions of lifetimes worth of stuff to do, be, and learn at this very moment, and society continues forward at a steady pace, how could you ever run out of stuff to play with, people to date, subjects to learn, jobs to hold, and so on? Yeah, I know that you'd find a lot of similar stuff, but by that time, you could go explore the freakin' universe, as relatively plausible long range space travel will probably have been invented.

The concept is that you don't run out of things to do, but rather everything that you can do becomes boring. Kind of like when you get older and something that you found fun and awesome as a kid becomes simply tiring and pointless, except that the concept now extends to everything you can do.

That is actually a very good point. 'Variety is the spice of life', and if you keep things varied nothing will get old for eternity.

Now Omniscience is what you have to worry about... Know everything, and nothing is new, nothing is fresh. You know every nuance of what a particular thing is, there is nothing new to explore or experience.
You couldn't really be bored while being Omniscient, since everything would exist as a single moment in your perception (eg. you would know what you would think in ten seconds exactly as well as what you were currently thinking).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90439 on: October 02, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »

But when people talk about immortality being bad, "you'll get bored after a while!" gets brought up... like, invariably.

That's what is being discussed.

(Besides, even if you DO get bored eventually, it won't happen for eons.)
Oooooh, I see. I thought FD was currently feeling that way, in which case I was about to shower him with ineffectual hugs until he loathed and despised me (getting him out of apathy, yay!).

Oh, that's a fair description of my life. But given the way I've structured things, I'm highly unlikely to ever kill myself. Essentially, I've set three questions:

1. Do I not consider ending my own life to be morally reprehensible?

2. Is the pain I am currently experiencing sufficient to make non-existence preferable?

3. Would the pain alleviated by suicide be greater than the pain which said suicide would cause in others?

If I ever consider those three questions and, after a substantial degree of introspective reasoning, can honestly and unemotionally answer yes to each, I will set my affairs (such that they are) in order, contact anyone who might care about my death and leave them with a final message, then overdose on sleeping pills. Again, however, it is highly unlikely that I will ever be able to honestly say yes to any single one of those questions, much less all three simultaneously.

I don't really understand the whole thing about immortality being boring, either; ordinary life is boring, but it is still preferable to nonexistence. I'd rather be wrong and the hardcore Christians be right, because an eternity of torment is still better than not existing at all. But hey, if I liked the easy, comfortable answers, I wouldn't be an atheist in the first place.

See? Actual discussion. Massive improvement. Isn't this so much better?

And I thought I only had to watch my own kids. Oi. Keep behaving guys.
I'm not sure how to reply to this.

Scoffing, hemming, and hawing in an excessively English accent, one would think.  :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:16:47 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90440 on: October 02, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »

See? Actual discussion. Massive improvement. Isn't this so much better?

And I thought I only had to watch my own kids. Oi. Keep behaving guys.
I'm not sure how to reply to this.

Scoffing, hemming, and hawing in an excessively English accent, one would think.  :P
Perhaps a monocle pop would suffice?

Oh, and,
* kaijyuu ineffectually hugs you
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90441 on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:18 pm »

I'd add another question to that list, FD.

Is my life likely to get better than this?

Modified, of course, to your needs. But the "It gets better" meme makes sense.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90442 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »

So I've just started lifting weights. I'd stopped for some years after learning that my glenohumeral joint was a bit more loose than most people's... but recently I developed a 'winter coat' of plumpity, putting me at 93kg / a bit too many lbs, compared with my just on normal weight of 85kg through summer and spring.

Time to start workin' out yay! I've got the musculature and genetics to build muscle easily. Soon I will rival even MaximumZero.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #90443 on: October 02, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

Immortality is equivalent to Death, both are an unchanging condition.

Immortals can't truly evolve, and change to become something else.

Death is important to make way for the next generation.

That said, I wouldn't mind living 1000 years. Unless I'm encased in concrete, launched into empty space, etc.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90444 on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:20 pm »

... You're forgetting about the possibility of uploading one's mind. That way one could merely upgrade their body as they go. No need for evolution.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90445 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:34 pm »

Of course immortals can "evolve". Well, immortal humans. We can change our bodies and minds during our life-time to better fit our environment. Either literally through cybernetics and that whole shibang. Or through things like AC, clothes, etc.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90446 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »

I keep listening to that Shut Up And Jam! Gaiden theme. Good lord, it's addictive and awesome.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90447 on: October 02, 2012, 08:46:37 pm »

So I've just started lifting weights. I'd stopped for some years after learning that my glenohumeral joint was a bit more loose than most people's... but recently I developed a 'winter coat' of plumpity, putting me at 93kg / a bit too many lbs, compared with my just on normal weight of 85kg through summer and spring.

Time to start workin' out yay! I've got the musculature and genetics to build muscle easily. Soon I will rival even MaximumZero.
Not up until you get to about 99kg, you won't. :P

I really have to start working out again...it's just so freakin' painful.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90448 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:19 pm »

Finally got to see The Room. Played the video game a while ago, and I've been wanting to see the movie ever since. It did not disappoint. Of course, the difference is that the game was actually well executed. ;)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90449 on: October 02, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »

Finally got to see The Room. Played the video game a while ago, and I've been wanting to see the movie ever since. It did not disappoint. Of course, the difference is that the game was actually well executed. ;)

Both of them are utterly hilarious! TomFulp and Oney and the otherguywhoiforgotwhoitwas did a great job. Dat battle theme.

The movie itself is only hilarious because of its poor quality... by any chance, Glyph, have you watched Troll 2?
Pages: 1 ... 6028 6029 [6030] 6031 6032 ... 13325