Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5915 5916 [5917] 5918 5919 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15797511 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88740 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:32 am »

Know what makes me happy?

Warp Drives.

Warp drives make me happy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88741 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:43 am »

Know what makes me happy?

Warp Drives.

Warp drives make me happy.
Take us to Warp 9.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88742 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:32 am »

You must live a unhappy life.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88743 on: September 18, 2012, 10:22:44 am »

No, I mean the fact that they're possibly practical and that right now they're planning to form a fucking warp bubble in the lab!

SCIENCE.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:27:03 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88744 on: September 18, 2012, 10:25:25 am »

No, I mean the fact that they're possibly practical and that right now they're planning to form a fucking warp bubble in the lap!

SCIENCE.
Tell me where to learn more about this.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88745 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:31 am »

Google Alcubierre drive. If this turns out to be possible, we'll be able to move a ten meter bubble at 10 times the speed of light, without actually MOVING the ship, so no smashing against the back of the hull!

And that name will become famous!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88746 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:51 am »

I wonder how long it takes for spacetime to stop at 10 times the speed of light.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88747 on: September 18, 2012, 10:32:23 am »

does it keep time from being dilated whilst in it?

also, wormholes are another possible way to do FTL travel, so there could be that...

Except for the being squeezed infinitely tight and nigh-certain death part.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88748 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:15 am »

Yes, it prevents time dilation. Two years on the ship is two years on Earth. Or at least, that's the theory.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88749 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:06 am »

Well hmm. I was going to point out that the energy requirements for an Alcubierre drive are redonkulous, as are the local spacetime effects, but I see what's got you so excited. Supposedly NASA's worked out a way to get the energy requirement down by orders of magnitude by reshaping the bubble. In theory.

Still problems with the local spacetime effects though. Such as possibly frying everything inside with Hawking radiation, the fact that you might not be able to send information forward in the direction of travel even inside the bubble, and the fact that you're going to be massively distorting spacetime in the vicinity as you travel (and in one model, generate a naked singularity at the front edge of the bubble in motion).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88750 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:57 am »

My roommate is skipping attendance classes because of light rain.

Yes....good.....give in to your sloth and fail!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #88751 on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:09 am »

Huh. I might have to rewrite all of my sci-fi story. In my sci-fi story, I invented a state of matter known as a "quark soup," where I handwaved some particle physics and created a state of matter that doesn't have an element or a temperature or anything like that because it's just quarks floating around without any higher structure. The idea was that you could put two bowls of quark soup on opposite sides of the ship, and they would create two black holes, one stronger than the other; the ship would move in the direction of the stronger black hole, faster than light, but would not be sucked in because of the other. The only restriction was that, being quantum, if you observed a quark soup it would stop being nice and destroy everything within a radius of six light-years. The story revolved around a terrorist organization who planned to look at a quark soup to destroy everyone in a heavily populated star system.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88752 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:19 am »

Heh, it's raining where I'm at too and there were only like 10 people in my 8 am class.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88753 on: September 18, 2012, 10:51:52 am »

I'd love to walk trough some light drizzle.
Today was the first drizzle that actually had that good rain smell. :D

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88754 on: September 18, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

o_o

Please don't tell me he's there on scholarship. That might cause me a 4-hour drive to Boone to beat the everliving shit out of someone.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 5915 5916 [5917] 5918 5919 ... 13325