Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5884 5885 [5886] 5887 5888 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15798564 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88275 on: September 14, 2012, 03:42:13 pm »

All I have to say is this: Soft sci-fi can go fuck itself. Except Doctor Who. Doctor who is the only soft sci-fi I can watch without wanting to find something to bash my head off of on the grounds that it would actually hurt less than watching Star Trek or anything like that.
I kinda find it fun to poke holes in space thingies. Also, Doctor Who is awesome. They know they're making soft sci-fi, and focus on keeping in line with their in universe rules* rather than trying to seem realistic.

*With exceptions, of course.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88276 on: September 14, 2012, 03:50:30 pm »

Yeah that's not conductive to the overall feel I want this thread to have at all.

Not that a lot that goes on in this thread is, but we can at least agree not to be hostile.

Sorry. Habit.

A habit that needs correcting, to be honest.

All I have to say is this: Soft sci-fi can go fuck itself. Except Doctor Who. Doctor who is the only soft sci-fi I can watch without wanting to find something to bash my head off of on the grounds that it would actually hurt less than watching Star Trek or anything like that.
Define "soft". There's a difference between authors that handwave everything because they're lazy and ones that do it because they're writing a story that happens to use SPEHSS as the backdrop to the drama (aka Space Opera).

For that matter, most of the classic Golden Age writers indulged in quite a bit of technobabble, though it usually tended to be internally consistent. See Asimov and his "positronic" brains.

In any case, it's a bit hostile to take a view that closeminded and extreme. :|

When I say soft, I mean stuff like rubber-forehead aliens and psychic powers. It just makes me facepalm for some reason.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88277 on: September 14, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

Speaking of soft Sci Fi, I finished watching S1 of Eureka. That show is excellent. It's like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer of sci-fi shows.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88278 on: September 14, 2012, 03:55:19 pm »

Eh, it isn't really any more unbelievable than the absurdities that crop up in any other genre, even if it tends to be sillier. That aside, taking pleasure in the camp is 30% of enjoying speculative fiction. I don't watch Star Trek: ToS because it's a dramatic, well-researched masterpiece, but because it is fun to watch and lovingly mock. If you look hard enough at pretty much any sort of creative work you'll eventually find cracks and annoyances. Or tropes. The key is in not allowing things like that to spoil it; the day I stop enjoying something because it isn't serious enough is the day I re-examine my worldview.  :-\

Speaking of soft Sci Fi, I finished watching S1 of Eureka. That show is excellent. It's like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer of sci-fi shows.
Is it worth it, then? I watched a few episodes but never really mustered the energy to finish it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88279 on: September 14, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

Is it worth it, then? I watched a few episodes but never really mustered the energy to finish it.

Like I say, it's like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer of sci-fi shows. If you're watching it exclusively for the sci-fi, you're going to be disappointed. It's got a lot of "filler episodes" with varying quality, but they're all fun to watch because the show is just so dang funny. The end of Seasons 1 and part of S2 where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is really damn stupid.

But I think the sci-fi silliness used as a backdrop for the characters to be themselves is really fun.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88280 on: September 14, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »

Eh, it isn't really any more unbelievable than the absurdities that crop up in any other genre, even if it tends to be sillier. That aside, taking pleasure in the camp is 30% of enjoying speculative fiction. I don't watch Star Trek: ToS because it's a dramatic, well-researched masterpiece, but because it is fun to watch and lovingly mock. If you look hard enough at pretty much any sort of creative work you'll eventually find cracks and annoyances. Or tropes. The key is in not allowing things like that to spoil it; the day I stop enjoying something because it isn't serious enough is the day I re-examine my worldview.  :-\

Yes, but I like my genres to remain separated. I don't want what amounts to demihumans and magic in my sci-fi, anymore than I want to find liquorice in a cheeseburger.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88281 on: September 14, 2012, 04:02:53 pm »

Yes, but I like my genres to remain separated. I don't want what amounts to demihumans and magic in my sci-fi, anymore than I want to find liquorice in a cheeseburger.

I think we can agree to disagree here because I know what's going in my next cheeseburger.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88282 on: September 14, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »

Just beefed up my resume to reflect my OFA3 ticket and then stopped by work's office to tell everyone I passed my course, they bullied out of me that, yes, I will be looking for a better job... And my bosses were actually happy for me! O.o I love my job, it's going to be sad when I have to give them my two weeks notice. D= (yes I ended this with a sad face, but I still think it counts as a happy thing)
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88283 on: September 14, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »

I think we can agree to disagree here because I know what's going in my next cheeseburger.

Are we talking that fruit-flavoured junk, or the stuff made with actual liquorice root?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88284 on: September 14, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »

Are we talking that fruit-flavoured junk, or the stuff made with actual liquorice root?

The red ones. Just slices, though. It can't be any worse than what I do to my burgers at Fuddruckers... right?

I will remember to post results whenever I get the chance.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88285 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:16 pm »

The red ones. Just slices, though. It can't be any worse than what I do to my burgers at Fuddruckers... right?

I will remember to post results whenever I get the chance.
Actually, a burger with black licorice sounds pretty good.

ALSO TORCHLIGHT 2 IN 6 DAYS.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88286 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:09 pm »

Dammit now my analogy is falling apart.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #88287 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »

Your colon may regret that meal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #88288 on: September 14, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Gotten into the second year at college, bought Don't Starve, and it turned out to be awesome as advertised, and hit the level cap in Fallen Earth.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88289 on: September 14, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »

Your colon may regret that meal.
I find your lack of licorice disturbing.

You don't know the power of the black licorice!

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 5884 5885 [5886] 5887 5888 ... 13325