Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5882 5883 [5884] 5885 5886 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15797435 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88245 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:53 pm »

Peace and stability are a staple of totalitarian dystopian dictatorships.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88246 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:02 pm »

He also wasn't making the galaxy safe for anyone. he was actively building things to blow up entire planets, at least twice that we know about. :P Also he used that crap to blow up an entire planet of humans. :)
Well the idea behind the death star was ensure stability by making sure every planet was too afraid to rebel for fear of being blown up. It was basically the distant past-future equivalent of a nuclear weapon, but he knew he had to use it at least once, and he chose Corruscant as an example because that way everyone would know he meant business. It might well have worked had those extremists not decided to do a suicide run and blow up the single largest economic investment the empire had ever made.

True, the reason the Emperor was doing this was to make sure he stayed in power and in control (Sith lords have a crazy obsession with power and control), but along the way he was bringing safety and stability to the galaxy...

There may be some flaws here, but there is a bit of an argument to be made that the rebels were the bad guys all along.
Pretty sure you meant Alderaan there. Coruscant was the Imperial Capital; blowing it up would get rid of some of his strongest supporters :P

And again, safety and stability (maybe) FOR HUMANS, screw everything else and turn them into slave labor. I can't condone Palpatine's actions.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88247 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28:23 pm »

Do you know what happened after the Star Wars films? The galaxy was invaded by the Yuzhong Vong, a race that gains its millitary power from rapidly terraforming planets.

And what were the Death Stars designed to do? Blow up planets. Palpatine was preparing to stop an intergalactic invasion and the terrorist rebel scum doomed the entire galaxy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #88248 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

Of course, anything anyone says about the force goes down the shitter the second someone mentions Luke Skywalker post Episode-six

TL;DR Luke gains dark side powers because the author thought it would be cool. He also kills palpatine again.

Yuzhong Vong were also immune to force powers that did not involve fire, electricity, or other manipulation of energy.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88249 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »

Do you know what happened after the Star Wars films? The galaxy was invaded by the Yuzhong Vong, a race that gains its millitary power from rapidly terraforming planets.

And what were the Death Stars designed to do? Blow up planets. Palpatine was preparing to stop an intergalactic invasion and the terrorist rebel scum doomed the entire galaxy.
Of course I know :P
I also know that the Yuzhong Vong were capable of causing moons to crash into planets. Now, how big was the Death Star again...?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88250 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »

That's no moon!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88251 on: September 14, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »

I also know that the Yuzhong Vong were capable of causing moons to crash into planets. Now, how big was the Death Star again...?
So? There is an anti-planet lazer on the Death Star. If someone launches a moon at it they can just blow it up.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88252 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:18 pm »

Peace and stability are a staple of totalitarian dystopian dictatorships.
Yup, although they usually do a pretty shit job of enforcing peace and stability because of rampant corruption (the troops may be keeping criminals from stealing your stuff and shaking you down for money, but they tend to ask for bribes to keep THEM from stealing your stuff), it seems to be the biggest flaw with dictatorships as a government, the people in charge can't be held accountable for their actions, so they basically do whatever they want.

]Pretty sure you meant Alderaan there. Coruscant was the Imperial Capital; blowing it up would get rid of some of his strongest supporters :P
Ermm, yeah, my mistake.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88253 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:39 pm »

So? There is an anti-planet lazer on the Death Star. If someone launches a moon at it they can just blow it up.
Not what I meant. They could cause the Death Star to crash into a planet. Having a gigantic planet-busting laser running around (or even several of them) would simply give the Vong bigger and more stationary targets.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #88254 on: September 14, 2012, 02:40:43 pm »

Not what I meant. They could cause the Death Star to crash into a planet. Having a gigantic planet-busting laser running around (or even several of them) would simply give the Vong bigger and more stationary targets.
Moons can't shoot at you and generally don't house hundreds of fighters though.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88255 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »

I'm not saying it would be easy, I'm just saying that not even the Death Star could survive getting pushed into a planet.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #88256 on: September 14, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »

It depends on how long it takes to push these moons into planets. The Death Star might well be able to obliterate the planet before impact, meaning it'd be crashing through an asteroid field instead, and asteroid fields have killed like, 4 people in the entire series.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #88257 on: September 14, 2012, 02:43:59 pm »

I'm not saying it would be easy, I'm just saying that not even the Death Star could survive getting pushed into a planet.

Fortunately the death star has a defense against being attacked by planets.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88258 on: September 14, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »

A defense that can fire in one specific direction, remember? :P

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88259 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »

Well, it can turn around. You'd have to get a really sneaky planet.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 5882 5883 [5884] 5885 5886 ... 13325