Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5876 5877 [5878] 5879 5880 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15795874 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88155 on: September 13, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »

http://www.toothycat.net/~hologram/Turing/HowItWorks.html

These guys set up a game of Magic: The Gathering which acts as an infinite-tape turing-machine.

This is deeply interesting.

IF only I knew what the hell it was talking about.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88156 on: September 13, 2012, 05:46:36 pm »

Basically it means they can in theory build a turing-complete CPU with infinite memory just following the rules of Magic as written on the cards. Similar to building working computers in Dwarf Fortress.

They use creature tokens with different amounts of life to represent the memory addresses, the color of the token represents the value stored at each address, and carefully chosen enchantment cards to automate "processing". So it's a finite state machine you could use to encode a program of pretty much unlimited complexity (given that an unlimited number of creature tokens can generated).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:48:32 pm by Reelya »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #88157 on: September 13, 2012, 08:50:27 pm »

Just recently beat Sonic Generations. I gotta admit, it was a fun game. The later levels are huge (takes up to 5 minutes to beat them, and that's if you're quick; if you're really fast, then little past 4 minutes). Nonetheless, I had a good time playing it overall. Might eventually take on Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 now that I have some more experience with Modern Sonic.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88158 on: September 13, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »

The sonic adventure games aren't like modern sonic at all.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88159 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54:23 pm »

This might be nostalgia speaking, but I really don't understand the hate for the Sonic Adventure games (or Sonic Generations, for that matter.)  And prepare for hilariously bad voice acting.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #88160 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »

Okay, well, I guess I have more experience moving sonic in a 3d environment then.

Plus, I was not really much a fan of the voice acting overall.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88161 on: September 13, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »

Just recently beat Sonic Generations. I gotta admit, it was a fun game. The later levels are huge (takes up to 5 minutes to beat them, and that's if you're quick; if you're really fast, then little past 4 minutes). Nonetheless, I had a good time playing it overall. Might eventually take on Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 now that I have some more experience with Modern Sonic.

The sidescrolling levels are pretty great, even if Sonic doesn't exactly move the way too many hours with a Genesis make me expect him to.  The problem with the 3D sections for me is that even after almost fifteen years of trying at it, Sonic Team (and for that matter most developers) still don't have a goddamn clue how a floating camera is supposed to work in a three dimensional platforming environment.  They try to hide it by basically making the 3D sections 2D-but-over-the-shoulder, but if anything that just makes its problems more obvious for me.

I mean, Oni came out in 2001.  I know it wasn't famous, but it wasn't exactly unknown.  That any third-person action game since could still have camera problems is just inexcusable.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88165 on: September 13, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

I didn't know oxygen was polar. O_o
It isn't. It gets its paramagnetism from other magnetic moments such as spin.

Example.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:20:46 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88166 on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:39 pm »

So I woke up really early and drank about a gallon of really strong coffee, then I aced an exam that I walked into cold. Now it's 11:20, I've got the jitters, my inhibitions are long gone, and I'm bored.

I'm happy, and I also need something to do that hopefully won't end up being the source of regrets. Or at least regrets that last longer than a week or two, with no "...but it was totally worth it!" caveats.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88167 on: September 13, 2012, 11:23:29 pm »

Went to my college's Game Club tonight. Had some fun, played some RL mafia. Then, the elders decided to initiate the newbs.

Dark Souls. Deprived. No help from the elders.

That was EXHILARATING!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88168 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »

So while playing TF2 I've taken to opening the built-in Steam browser and have Pandora radio play in the background, while TF2 itself has it's noise toned down.

My station started out giving me only nostalgic videogame melodies and perky j-pop every now and again, but now, now it's different. Now it's filled completely, filled to the brim, filled to bursting with soft, touching piano pieces. Between waves in MvM I'll shift+tab to see what song is playing and thumbs up/down appropriately, that determines what songs play on my station, as you probably already know, so when out-of-the-blue the solo piano version of the Rainbow Connection starts playing, I just have no choice but to give it a thumbs up, and it all just goes downhill from there. With that single thumbs up, I have unleashed a massive horde of piano pieces spanning the gamut from classical, to sorrowful but uplifting, to frantic masterfully done concertos, to spicy/jazzy numbers that always catch my attention.

And I don't know why I enjoy it all so much. I guess there's just a part of me that enjoys the novelty of ambushing a platoon of robots around a corner and spraying them with intense liquid flame, reducing them to melted scraps in but moments, all while listening to the dulcet tones of Jim Brickman's "Over The Rainbow".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:36:08 pm by JoshuaFH »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88169 on: September 13, 2012, 11:44:48 pm »

I guess there's just a part of me that enjoys the novelty of ambushing a platoon of robots around a corner and spraying them with intense liquid flame, reducing them to melted scraps in but moments, all while listening to the dulcet tones of Jim Brickman's "Over The Rainbow".

Nothing quite like the feeling of killing stuff while listening to peaceful, light piano music.
Pages: 1 ... 5876 5877 [5878] 5879 5880 ... 13325