Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5778 5779 [5780] 5781 5782 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15750274 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #86686 on: August 29, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »

I happily admit that my teaching is a bit trollish like that. Each lecture tends to start with 15 mins about the history of the people and places involved ("Did you know Tycho Brahe dies when his bladder burst during a banquet?"), 15 mins of actual physics ("Orbital period squared is proportional to semi major axis cubed"), 15 mins of  serious problem solving ("Now calculate the orbital velocity of the Earth please"), 15 mins of stupid problems ("Lets apply Keplers Laws to the Death Star") and then 30 mins of random nonsence that may or may not be connected to Physics in any way, shape or form.
This is a blank sig.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #86687 on: August 29, 2012, 02:59:57 pm »

Dammit, now I want to see if the Death Star would actually be stable or collapse under its own weight.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #86688 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

They still produce copies of the original 1959 Risk, with the wooden cubes and everything. It's by far the best version and I want one.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86689 on: August 29, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »

Dammit, now I want to see if the Death Star would actually be stable or collapse under its own weight.
Yes, it should be stable. A nation that can construct antigravity systems. (The hover systems used in the Clone wars, and everywhere else are antigrav) and a laser capable of vaporizing planets can manipulate gravity well enough. It's also quite hard to let something collapse under it's own weight in space.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86690 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:41 pm »

I'm not counting the prequel trilogy. That whole midochlorian thing ruined it for me. I prefer Jedi as 'Space Wizards with Laser Swords' as opposed 'Freaks with an unusually high number of psychic microbes living inside them'.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86691 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:32 pm »

Eh. It's a rather irrelevant distinction.

The midochlorian thing is obviously referencing mitochondria, which are actual, real, power giving microbes in your cells. Won't give you magical powers, but they do give you power filled chemicals for all those nifty reactions your cells need.

I guess they just wanted to be more Sci Fi and less Space Buddhism.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86692 on: August 29, 2012, 03:20:32 pm »

Things I have determined with my students about the Death Star in class:

• Minimum power needed to run its laser/destroy a planet assuming stimulated emission events
  • Minimum power required to keep the atmosphere at a livable temperature assuming air at STP
  • Estimations of mass, orbital velocity and period in orbit of Endor using orbital dynamics
  • Determination of barycentre between Death Star and Endor
  • Escape velocity of Death Star
  • Kinematics and dynamics of a typical X-Wing during a trench run
  • Estimation of mass/radius/surface area of Death Star based on apparent value of "g"
  • Estimation of black body specrum of the Death Star
  • Determination of density of material used to make Death Star (subtracting the air, of course)
  • Calculation of number of elecrons emitted by illuminated hemisphere via photoelectric effect, and current flow as a result, leading into estimating PD between points, and electrical resistance of Death Star

There are probably others I have forgotten or not got saved around here somewhere...
This is a blank sig.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86693 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:30 pm »

*Packs bags for MonkeyHead's class*

Sounds very awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86694 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:17 pm »

Starting the 5th of September, a bit later than usual. All welcome. Bring a calculator. I also take requests.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86696 on: August 29, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »

Things I have determined with my students about the Death Star in class:

• Minimum power needed to run its laser/destroy a planet assuming stimulated emission events
  • Minimum power required to keep the atmosphere at a livable temperature assuming air at STP
  • Estimations of mass, orbital velocity and period in orbit of Endor using orbital dynamics
  • Determination of barycentre between Death Star and Endor
  • Escape velocity of Death Star
  • Kinematics and dynamics of a typical X-Wing during a trench run
  • Estimation of mass/radius/surface area of Death Star based on apparent value of "g"
  • Estimation of black body specrum of the Death Star
  • Determination of density of material used to make Death Star (subtracting the air, of course)
  • Calculation of number of elecrons emitted by illuminated hemisphere via photoelectric effect, and current flow as a result, leading into estimating PD between points, and electrical resistance of Death Star

There are probably others I have forgotten or not got saved around here somewhere...

... I'd really like to see those numbers.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86697 on: August 29, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »

Guys, i have a question, i saw in "How would you explain things to medieval people" thread thing called SCP 231-7
Whats that?
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86699 on: August 29, 2012, 03:43:07 pm »

Guys, i have a question, i saw in "How would you explain things to medieval people" thread thing called SCP 231-7
Whats that?
http://www.scp-wiki.net/
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 5778 5779 [5780] 5781 5782 ... 13325