Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5744 5745 [5746] 5747 5748 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15801041 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #86175 on: August 22, 2012, 05:56:46 pm »

Art's value isn't measured by scarcity.

This is the opposite of the truth.
Only if you're talking monetary.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #86176 on: August 22, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »

Pray tell, what is the truth?

Muahahahahahaha

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86177 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »

Only if you're talking monetary.
Well, duh. What other point of art is there? :P
The smiley face indicates sarcasm, btw
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86178 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01:22 pm »

If I make one piece of art, completely unique and made by drawing on a large piece of canvas with different coloured highlighters held in my mouth, it likely won't be worth much.

Not even if I die in a drug related death and then a 100 years goes by!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #86179 on: August 22, 2012, 06:02:40 pm »

Woman tries DIY painting restoration.

Original on the left; deteriorated state in the middle; after woman's "restoration" attempt on the right.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The BBC Europe correspondent described the painting's current state as resembling "a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic."
Lol.

Its kind of a lie for the record. The priest and the artist's family had been hiring that crone for years to perform repairs on the painting. Only now, since she fucked up, they have tried to depict her as a crazy old woman. They're as much as fault as she is or more for hiring an amateur illegally innorder to save cash.

The pic IS hilarious though
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86180 on: August 22, 2012, 06:03:39 pm »

If I make one piece of art, completely unique and made by drawing on a large piece of canvas with different coloured highlighters held in my mouth, it likely won't be worth much.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877093-blank-banksy-canvas-set-to-fetch-60-000-at-auction

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86181 on: August 22, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877093-blank-banksy-canvas-set-to-fetch-60-000-at-auction
Ah, modern art. Look upon the horrors of being overly meta and despair.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86182 on: August 22, 2012, 06:09:29 pm »

Yeah, but that was from a famous artist.  Its not scarcity that makes art worth a lot, its dumb critics hype and popularity.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #86183 on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

Nah, anyone can make art. Just shit in your bed, throw a pair of soiled underpants on it, and get the dog to throw up on your pillow.

Boom, instant millionaire.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86184 on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:40 pm »

Listening to the World Ends With You sequel teaser website's music for today. It sounds like they're playing the back beat to Calling with the guitar for Bastion's Spike in a Rail... I know it's incredibly unlikely but I find myself trying to imagine what a crossover game of the two would be like.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86185 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »

This is why, in my more pessimistic moments, I believe that "modern" artists and collectors should be forcefully sterilized and sent to live in a monastery. Jeez Louise.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #86186 on: August 22, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »

It's obviously cool to hate on modern art now, since the whole "Liking Modern Art" phase has been over for awhile.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #86187 on: August 22, 2012, 06:13:48 pm »

I've never liked any art that didn't require skill to make.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86188 on: August 22, 2012, 06:21:19 pm »

I've never liked any art that didn't require skill to make.
It does require skill. Quite a lot. Just try something like cubism sometime.

Allow me to jump to the defense of modern artists for a moment. They know what they're doing, and it's not meaningless. The sin of most modern artists though is it requires a degree of sophistication (or just the right perspective) to actually see what they're trying to convey, so when most people look at it all they see is a pile of garbage or whatever.

As I mentioned earlier, this stuff is extremely meta. They look at the standards and common occurrences ("tropes" might be an appropriate word in this context) in regular art, and twist them on their head. If you don't understand the background behind their subject matter, you won't understand what they're conveying.

The infamous urinal is a good example. No, the "art" part isn't the urinal itself. It's satirical. It's irony. It's meta. Most people just see a toilet, but the "artistic merit" is something else.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86189 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:08 pm »

Wasn't theres a Tropico 4 quote we could use in this topic yesterday?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 5744 5745 [5746] 5747 5748 ... 13325