Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5675 5676 [5677] 5678 5679 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15833442 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #85140 on: August 07, 2012, 02:22:18 am »

Slaying demons with wicked dance moves? I approve.

----

Been watching Star Trek. Deep Space Nine, in particular.

What the fuck when did star trek get emotional storylines. Odo's little turbolift moment with a one-shot character was legitimately touching. Not to mention the show's pilot episode, which almost had me in tears.
Yeah, DS9 always seemed darker and more emotional than the others. I think part of it was just that a lot of things carry over whereas in other series there were bigger gaps between episodes, excluding chunks of Enterprise.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #85141 on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:28 am »

I'm watching it concurrently with The Next Generation, and so far DS9 is kicking TNG's ass. Then again the first season of TNG is supposed to suck, so maybe once the Wesley worship gets over with, and there's (hopefully) less planets with people in ridiculous outfits and wacky moral systems, they'll be a bit more comparable in quality. Q and one legitimately funny comedy episode are TNG's sole saving graces so far.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #85142 on: August 07, 2012, 02:47:53 am »

I'm watching it concurrently with The Next Generation, and so far DS9 is kicking TNG's ass. Then again the first season of TNG is supposed to suck, so maybe once the Wesley worship gets over with, and there's (hopefully) less planets with people in ridiculous outfits and wacky moral systems, they'll be a bit more comparable in quality. Q and one legitimately funny comedy episode are TNG's sole saving graces so far.

Imho, they get better with each season. From fourth up to the end they get all the tasty bits (with occassional boring philosophical-moral episode).

Oh, and any episode with Romulans is best episode.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #85143 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:06 am »

TNG gets a whole lot better once Riker 'Grows the Beard' and Data starts getting interesting. It's astounding how much both of them change throughout the series. (To be expected, I guess, with how long it is.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85144 on: August 07, 2012, 03:02:15 am »

TNG introduced me to Star Trek a few years ago, and it was the best series overall that I've seen. I also really enjoyed watching different crew members' personalities develop as the show went on. I thought that the concept of Q was intriguing as well, an omnipotent being, who seemingly used his power to further his own devices.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85145 on: August 07, 2012, 03:17:48 am »

Freedom of information and how rapidly it disseminates these days.
You could have a cell phone video of a police beating taken on your cellphone in the morning. Withing 24 hours millions of people can see nearly exactly what happened, and the information withing can be aggregated and expanded upon. Go back a 15 years, and information could only travel by word of mouth (which includes phones) or TV station (which are open to control by the state). Go back 150 years and you would have to use telegraphs, and it would be purely one persons word against what someone else said to determine what happened). Go back 200 years and it would be purely word of mouth and newspapers, information would take weeks to travel from place to place, and was easily distorted. Go back 400 years, and getting information from one place to another (eg. China to England, US to Italy), would take months and months, and you would have to hire someone to send it or go personally. Go back a millenia, and information didn't travel outside of the immediate area that it was in, no one living in England even knew of Japan, or the name of which dynasty ruled in China, those in China knew nothing about which King ruled in Italy, or even of the existance of England.

On the slightly less legal side, anything you want information wise you can obtain.
A copy of pretty much every book ever written? Done, you can have a million books on your laptop within hours.
Any computer game released in the past 10 years? Done, with a good internet connection its faster then driving down to the store and back
Any movie released between yesterday-50 years? Done, even movies that you could never find in a store.
And TV series released in 10 years? Done, even those obscure ones that no one has heard of.

Do note that its not that the they are in practice basically free (and that I can get it for free), its the idea of it, that you can wake up, and download something made half a world away, with a good connection in half a hour you can be playing a game that requires a device that would probably be worth the lives of a million soldiers in WWI or WWII, that dukes would have given their realms away for, you can look at realtime images on cameras in major cities, you can try to solve major scientific problems (that protein folding game that they used for crowd sourcing and people got something to help out against AIDS comes to mind), and so many other things.

And it will only get crazier from here on out, the limits on information dissemination will continue to lessen and disappear, as they have been doing for the past millenia, processing power will go up, having a ten terabyte harddrive will be quaint and amusing, like my old 128 meg flash drive, or floppy disk even. I am no science fiction writer, or no scientist, and I don't know what will come technology wise, but unless something really really bad (eg. nuclear winter, crazy nanotechnology problems, supervirus, AI revolution (which I suppose would be its own increase into the infinite future however) happens, it will just keep growing and getting bigger and more fantastical. Who knows, one days we will look back, cybernetically enhanced and genetically engineered, each one of us being able to get technology that could kill everyone on the planet today (eg. nanotech that could expand without other nanotech to stop it, custom designed superviruses that don't effect anyone living in that time period since they would have nanotech/genetically engineered themselves to be immune to them), and we will still probably go "GODAMIT, MY METALINK TO ALPHA CENTURI 1 HAS 150ms LATENCY, GODAMN MENTAL INTERFACE NOT WORKING PROPERLY", and "I hate spaceship food, the flight costs tens of thousands of dollars, and they still make me pay for my bloody pretzels myself".

I just kind of which I was born a few centuries later, just to see what the future holds, because I don't think that I will see the end of it, and see whats to come. Who knows though, I am only twenty, and have (assuming that there is no immortality tech made publicly available and cheap enough in the next decades), can live for another sixty years.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85146 on: August 07, 2012, 03:29:40 am »

Careful; you're doing exactly what people were doing with the energy revolution about a hundred years ago: Ridiculous extrapolation. Everyone thought our available energy would just grow and grow and grow... we were going to have flying cars and jetpacks. We can certainly make flying cars and jetpacks now, but they're not practical due to energy use... the thing we thought we'd have limitless amounts of.

We had an information revolution with the internet at whatnot; it's what you're so in awe about. But there's an upper limit on that too. Sure, the world may be pretty damn interconnected and will continue to be... but remember it takes like, 14 minutes to communicate with that rover on Mars. It'd take between 5 and 15ish hours to communicate between Earth and Pluto, depending on orbit. The speed of light isn't something we'll overcome easily, and in a few hundred years I don't think we'll be stuck on just Earth anymore. We'll be back to long distance communication taking time. Once we're in other star systems, that trip between England and China just to exchange information will seem short in comparison.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85147 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:42 am »

those in China knew nothing about which King ruled in Italy, or even of the existance of England.
...Except the cartographers.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85148 on: August 07, 2012, 09:35:48 am »

Okay, time regurgitate nearly a month of happy. I came in second in a cherry-pit spitting contest at my family reunion, got absolutely demolished in a bocche ball tournament, bought a fuckton of games including the Orange Box (Dammit, I love Half Life 2. Especially the gravity-gun upgrade near the end. Watching combine soldiers twitch after being flung around is fun), bought those limited edition re-releases of the first edition AD&D books (They have built-in bookmarks!), finally got a fan for my room, watched lots of Doctor Who (Fishsticks and custard and exploding TARDIS sun is all I have to say on that.) (Dammit, the British know how to make good sci-fi.), and watching my sister get all depressed when she got to the end of the main storyline in Red Dead Redemption (I know, I'm a horrible person.). Oh, and realizing that AH may have been referencing something in the first edition DMG when he came up with the whole troll romance thing. Seriously, on page 10 there's something about using a die with card suits on it in determining reactions of NPCs, with black being a negative response and spades equaling hate, and red being positive and you get the picture and I'm just typing needlessly now and I'm happy. To sum it up: SQUEEEEEEE!

Also: Mars rover! Landed! On Mars! And it has a laser! That actually reduces thing to plasma!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85150 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:21 am »

-snip-
I'm with Neil deGrasse Tyson on this one. I wouldn't rather have been born later, I'd just rather live long enough to see it happen.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85151 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:40 am »

Also: I just noticed that Aklyon started another You are Wizard. That makes me happy. The first one was fun. And I felt sad when it died out. But now there's a new one and I'm excited.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85152 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:32 am »

Also: I just noticed that Aklyon started another You are Wizard. That makes me happy. The first one was fun. And I felt sad when it died out. But now there's a new one and I'm excited.
This time, we actually have a (bad) map, so I don't have to take forever to figure out where the wizard is standing and then forget to update it. Should work much better, unless we start having alternate planes again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85154 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51:46 am »

Aww, lookit th'little buggers. They're so tiny. I never knew hell could be conquered by a hungry cat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5675 5676 [5677] 5678 5679 ... 13326