Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5527 5528 [5529] 5530 5531 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796676 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I REALLY want to get a few of those shots that make you not have to breathe. The idea fascinates me, and the possibility of getting some gets my giddy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Link?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-invent-particles-that-will-let-you-live-without-breathing

They last about 15 minutes to half an hour, but you can chain them. I'd love to get some sort of hookup with a steady release and do some crazy shit.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Well, it would certainly keep you alive, but I can't recall the trigger which causes one to recommence breathing upon holding one's breath. It very well may keep you alive, but you may still breath if the trigger for 'k, time to breath now' is related to things other than blood O2 content. It wouldn't affect anything if you were in surgery/sedated, but if you were using these just to not breath for kicks, you may still find yourself compelled to breath due to assumptions your biology is making. If, for example, your impulse to breath is related to blood CO2 levels (can't recall what the tirgger is right off hand, but I do remember hearing a study about it if you want to look it up), you will still feel pretty much like you normally would if holding your breath; you just wouldn't suffer from lack of O2.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I was thinking about that, too.  I wonder if your lungs would be appeased enough by just breathing the same bit of stale air over and over for the duration.  All you need is for your lungs to think they're breathing, right?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, if you're managing underwater swims as long as I can, I imagine you're already overcoming that pretty effectively, since I've made it to the point where my vision starts getting wavy and going dark, heh. (Better hope you have friends to help you out at that point, because pulling yourself out successfully by yourself might not be possible)

The burn actually evens out after a certain point, so I imagine if you can get there you'll be fine. So long as you don't lose active control, because breathing is something your body will definitely be wanting to do.

Rebreathing the same stale air won't work to alleviate that, though - its the carbon dioxide content your lungs hate.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Update from project CLANG, a video game/technical system that will hopefully make motion control swordplay a lot, lot better:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This sounds so cool :D

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Alway is right, the breathing reflex is triggered by rising levels of CO2 in your bloodstream. It's the mechanism behind that thing some divers do - a few quick breaths before diving removes additional CO2 from your bloodstream(but doesn't increase the oxygen concentration), allowing for holding your breath longer. This in turn is the cause of the diver's blackout, when they keep their breath long enough to lower oxygen concentration beyond the level required to maintain consciousness, while still not feeling the need to breathe.

I suppose injecting yourself with the fluid would result in the opposite - having a very strong urge to breathe despite not really needing to.
Also, there's probably some level of CO2 concentration in the bloodstream that becomes toxic or maybe the repeated introduction of extra gas without it's removal would eventually cause the gas to separate from the blood cells and cause embolism. So I don't see this working in any capacity outside emergencies.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This was specifically developed because it doesn't introduce any actual gas and thus no embolisms.

The CO2 concentration issue, I imagine, is why you probably wouldn't want to chain them. :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

As much as this does sound like some awesome Deus Ex science potion, there are factual considerations like CO2.  I bet there's some kind of drug you could develop to get rid of carbon dioxide.  Like, dumping it into your digestive tract or something.  Sure you'd be gassy, but you could also chain no-breath drugs.  It'd be perfect for swimming.  You'd be self-propelled.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Awesome and science fiction-y as it may be, I'm pretty sure oxygen tanks are more efficient.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

I found an Easter Egg in Arkham City!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

It'd be perfect for swimming.  You'd be self-propelled.
It might be sleep deprivation, but I laughed out loud at that.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

It'd be perfect for swimming.
It would also be perfect for running. There are times that you're breathing like crazy and still don't have enough air. Once you're in oxygen debt, the lack of oxygen in your muscles leads to lactic acid buildup, pain, and soreness. Only now, with fancy medical magic, you would start sprinting, pump some Oxygen right into your legs, and keep going. Probably going to be used like high-altitude-blood-extraction is in bicycle racing. (Which is to say, only by really weird people that everyone else gives funny looks to.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Funfact: In times of extreme stress, the body's BRAIN can switch to lactate in the absence of glucose.

Also, my happy was:

I woke up today, I seem to remember having a dream, but that's all I remember about it. It was a dream I had. The only aspect I can remember of it is a feeling of overwhelming peace and happiness. I normally tend to remember every detail of my dreams.
Pages: 1 ... 5527 5528 [5529] 5530 5531 ... 13325