Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5416 5417 [5418] 5419 5420 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15754332 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Truean is silly.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Now now Truean, take your medicine and come with the nice men in the white coats. Everyone knows that being a lawyer is a good job with no downsides and lots of money.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MSH has chosen... EASY MODE.
oh well arent you a comedian

You're getting a college education in a niche field with significant growth potential, low overhead, and technical/environment components, at an affordable college.

This is, like, literally the easiest of easy modes.

The monetary reward level isn't particularly likely to be high, but that's the price you pay for easy mode! And life satisfaction is more likely to be good than on other difficulties.

This doesn't mean you won't fail, crash, burn, and then die. But it means that it's significantly less likely, and will probably be your own damn fault! (Or, y'know, uncontrollable random circumstance, which might be more likely)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:20:58 pm by GlyphGryph »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile

I want to know what the difficulty levels mean...

Is unemployed expert mode or just a game over? Is being a engineer hard? Or is it easy because of how much it pays.

I'm going for a computer science degree, what difficulty am I playing at?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heheh. Conversation summary:

"I'm graduated!"
"What now?"
"University for some environmental/technical stuff"
"Hah, good, just don't become a lawyer."
"Yeah, Truean would be mad at you"
/Enter Truean, stage right
"DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT BECOMING A LAYWER!?!?!?! DON'T YOU DARE!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I'm going to Appalachian State University next year. No major selected yet, but I think I might look into their solar cell program. Mountains are good for that, after all, and we do need better solar cells. Also, I'd get to say that I literally have a degree in Sustainability.
Oh, nice! Try not to get too distracted by the skiing. And the patchouli-infused hippy ski bunnies in Boone.
One of my great-uncles is a Professor Emeritus at App, it's a beautiful campus (and you will lose any fat on your body from hiking up the sides of mountains to get to class)  :P

Truean is silly, and awesome.

ftfy
And totally modest.  ;D

I want to know what the difficulty levels mean...

Is unemployed expert mode or just a game over? Is being a engineer hard? Or is it easy because of how much it pays.

Unemployed is challenge mode. CompSci is deathmatch PvP, because it's incredibly rewarding and incredibly competitive. And if you lose a match, there's always another one to join somewhere else.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Truean is silly, and a grizzled, awesome veteran who's always insisting that he's "too old for this shit" and drunk half the time. Walks with a limp from the Wars of Law.

ftfy
ftffy

Heheh. Conversation summary:

"I'm graduated!"
"What now?"
"University for some environmental/technical stuff"
"Hah, good, just don't become a lawyer."
"Yeah, Truean would be mad at you"
/Enter Truean, stage right
"DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT BECOMING A LAYWER!?!?!?! DON'T YOU DARE!"
God dammit, now I need a new keyboard. Never drink lemonade and browse Bay 12, children.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

You're getting a college education in a niche field with significant growth potential, low overhead, and technical/environment components, at an affordable college.
I'm not necessarily getting into solar cell research, I'm just considering it because my college specializes, I would love to help prevent humanity from crashing and burning if possible, and like you said, growth potential.

The low overhead I have my doubts on, though. Solar cells don't last indefinitely.
This is, like, literally the easiest of easy modes.
No, what makes it Easy Mode is that I have ~$55,000 that I am only allowed to spend on college. I never met my great-grandmother, but I am very glad for her forethought.
The monetary reward level isn't particularly likely to be high, but that's the price you pay for easy mode! And life satisfaction is more likely to be good than on other difficulties.
If I can sell solar panels to every household in America, the monetary reward and the life satisfaction shall both be quite high. Don't doubt, you all buy televisions and computers, and they aren't ever going to start giving you money back.
Oh, nice! Try not to get too distracted by the skiing.
I was actually hoping to start snowboarding. Skiing seems boring to me.
And the patchouli-infused hippy ski bunnies in Boone.
No problem there, I find hippies repulsive.
One of my great-uncles is a Professor Emeritus at App, it's a beautiful campus (and you will lose any fat on your body from hiking up the sides of mountains to get to class)  :P
I assure you that I'll be doing a lot more hiking than that. I love hiking.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is only related to how hard it is to achieve success and avoid failure, not the type and amount of success achieved. Jobs with high Overhead tend to be higher difficulty because you need to continue working your ass off to avoid complete failure for the majority of your life in many circumstances. Lawyering is a good example of this - huge time commitment, difficult work, high debt... sure, the potential rewards are higher in some cases, but it's definitely not easy.

Computer Science is Low-Medium difficulty but getting harder as the job market gets tighter. Generally much easier to make good money with less effort than engineering. Engineering is High-Medium difficulty, but usually well worth it - still, you'll need to work your ass of for this moreso than with compsci. Doctoring and Lawyering and Pro Athlete are all Hard difficulty.

Not going to college at all is Medium difficulty, though that's changing to Hard difficulty the worse the job market gets (and has a significantly lower reward threshold than other Medium difficulty attempts)

The low overhead I have my doubts on, though. Solar cells don't last indefinitely.
The low overhead is for you. Only 4(max 7) years of college and under 20k in debt seems likely.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

And not finishing High School is Insane difficulty. For one thing, you're restricted to two class paths: Criminal and "You Want Fries With That?".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Truean is silly, and awesome.

ftfy
And totally modest.  ;D

More modest than anyone else; I demand a trophy cup filled with ice cream I'm too cool to eat for this. Also a lacky 'cause someone has to eat it....

I'm so modest everyone will ultimately ignore this.

We meek are crafty; we're just biding our time til we inherit the earth....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:41:49 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

And not finishing High School is Insane difficulty. For one thing, you're restricted to two class paths: Criminal and "You Want Fries With That?".
Oh, come on. You can totally take the Criminal path even if you aren't a dropout.

Why, some of the richest businessmen in America have taken part of the Criminal path! Most of them, in fact!
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Warning: this post contains humor.

Computer science varies from easy mode to hard mode depending on what you value.

Every one of these questions you answer yes to pushes you closer to hard mode:

Do you think it means you get to play/write video games all day instead of boring web apps for big business or government?
Do you like the outdoors?
Do you like working in the same place for more than 2 years?
Do you like working less than 50 hours a week and getting paid for 40?
Do you find it difficult to ignore rampant idiocy among clients and testers?
Do you find it difficult to get along to anti-social coworkers?
Are you tired of hearing star wars/star trek/d&d jokes or talking about video games?
Do you like women?

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The ones that rack up crazy scores and mess with economy no end... I really don't know what's up with them, the admins say they try to keep them in check, but honestly they don't seem to do anything about them.
Pages: 1 ... 5416 5417 [5418] 5419 5420 ... 13325