Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5356 5357 [5358] 5359 5360 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776637 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just got back fanime in San Jose.
I had an AMAZING time.
Some highlights: Learning to play mahjong (and playing for three hours), now I will understand whats going on in those crazy mahjong matches in manga
Playing 20-30 hours of ninja (and being pretty securely one of the best players there) and meeting some super awesome people while playing.
Hanging out with those same people after the con ended, and getting their info (so that we will be able to hang out later).

I've gone before several times but haven't been able to go the past few years due to school and work/money, this year in particular due to taking alot of time off for my brother's wedding and then my birthday later this week. Here's hoping I can get out there next time.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

it's pretty impressive. I was actually using DF when we were doing some tests of the thermal issues to try an diagnose a recurrent performance issue (to wit: prior to a certain BIOS patch, these laptops would throttle down when the CPU temp hit a certain threshold, and then never throttle back up once they cooled).

We needed a way to get the CPU temp to ramp up quickly, so I had a fort with about 100 population that I'd load.
The other techs thought it was highly amusing that ballistics simulators and high-detail geocoding software wouldn't cause a rapid overheat, but an ASCII-based game was like concentrated heat death.  :P

I'm clearly not gonna do shit about it, but I think DF may have once at least been a major factor to frying a motherboard on a $1100 gaming laptop. It managed to work out ok I suppose, but still wow. I'm echoing the sentiments I guess.

Honestly though, damn, of all improvements for DF, I'd hope CPU usage might be on the list cause, damn. :) :P
It's a real shame that multi-threading would basically take a rewrite of all the code.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

it's pretty impressive. I was actually using DF when we were doing some tests of the thermal issues to try an diagnose a recurrent performance issue (to wit: prior to a certain BIOS patch, these laptops would throttle down when the CPU temp hit a certain threshold, and then never throttle back up once they cooled).

We needed a way to get the CPU temp to ramp up quickly, so I had a fort with about 100 population that I'd load.
The other techs thought it was highly amusing that ballistics simulators and high-detail geocoding software wouldn't cause a rapid overheat, but an ASCII-based game was like concentrated heat death.  :P

I'm clearly not gonna do shit about it, but I think DF may have once at least been a major factor to frying a motherboard on a $1100 gaming laptop. It managed to work out ok I suppose, but still wow. I'm echoing the sentiments I guess.

Honestly though, damn, of all improvements for DF, I'd hope CPU usage might be on the list cause, damn. :) :P
It's a real shame that multi-threading would basically take a rewrite of all the code.

Agreed, that thing was a quad core lappy with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB of memory..... Sad to see it go.

In other news, the guy across the hall said he might "give me a list of things to do" because "the stuff you were talking about before makes sense.... Basically I'd be his business lawyer for a flat fee/year. If I get enough of those, I have my own practice. With apartments, I can scale it easily. With this or in fact many businesses, I have to say I'm not entirely sure how the hell to scale it for pricing. I might be able to work it out so I cover my expenses Office Rent w/all office expenses, Malpractice and other insurance, and travel time. So that I get this to work. I dunno. Maybe I could base it off how much business he does, that way it would be a fair measure of how much legal stuff he could expect to dish out my way? I'd happily like to charge him a couple thousand a year if he's a relatively small entierprise. If he's a lil bigger $3000-$4000/year. If he's rather big, then $10K or up (if he does high 6 or low 7 figures but I don't think he does). \

Clearly if I quote too high, then he won't think it's worth it. If I quote too low, then I can't sustain it. Hum. Still nice to have an inquiry.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Agreed, that thing was a quad core lappy with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB of memory..... Sad to see it go.
That is sad. *pours one out for the loss of Truean's lappy*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Agreed, it's a currently a lovely brick. The motherboard would cost $425 in material parts alone to replace. If I need a new lappy, I might just get that done instead.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Agreed, it's a currently a lovely brick. The motherboard would cost $425 in material parts alone to replace. If I need a new lappy, I might just get that done instead.
Well, you know who to go to if you need advice on specs. RedKing and Telle, and if all else fails, me. :P

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

On the subject of dying computer companies, two of the computers in this house (the two desktops) are Gateways. Also, a Gateway router. And of the three computers we use full-time, the most powerful and newest is a 2006 or 2007 laptop.

I guess you could say my parents don't feel a strong need to invest in computers often.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Up until last November I was using a Gateway desktop that had to be at least 8 years old, if not older, and very basic. Ran DF decently which was good considering the onboard graphics (Intel) didn't have a wide selection of games it could play (despite having the specs, just plain incompatible). Now I'm on an HP laptop with very good specs that I got a 1/3 off in part due to being on sale and being a student.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

On the subject of dying computer companies, two of the computers in this house (the two desktops) are Gateways. Also, a Gateway router. And of the three computers we use full-time, the most powerful and newest is a 2006 or 2007 laptop.

I guess you could say my parents don't feel a strong need to invest in computers often.
Gateway is owned by Acer. Also, they don't make routers. It's probably DLink, Cisco-Linksys, Belkin or 2Wire.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Sadly yes they did, kinda stopped at around 2005

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Huh. I don't remember learning anything about Gateway making routers in my networking class, but that was back in '99, so it's been a while. You learn something new every day.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Huh. I don't remember learning anything about Gateway making routers in my networking class, but that was back in '99, so it's been a while. You learn something new every day.
yea they are about nigh useless nowadays and suggest linksys or netgear to any customers running on those pieces of crap.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Like me!

Happy thing: Croutons are good, especially seasoned ones.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Like me!

Happy thing: Croutons are good, especially seasoned ones.
Homemade ones are the best.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 5356 5357 [5358] 5359 5360 ... 13325