Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5355 5356 [5357] 5358 5359 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776951 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should have told them you were using Slackware Windows (Leopard)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

I strung them along for twenty minutes once, trying to get them to guess:

How many computers we have in the house: Counting the ancient one I tinker with, FOUR. They guessed two. (A 9 year old XP, a 3 year old Vista (my comp), a 21 year old 3.1 and a 1 year old 7 Starter netbook.)

Which brands we own. They guessed HP. We have: HP, Acer, Toshiba and Lenovo.

The specifications of these computers. They guessed ~1GB on all. Wrong. 256MB RAM on the XP, 4GB RAM on my Vista, 2GB on the Lenovo netbook and 32MB ram on the 3.1.

You get the picture. :D

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I never get cool calls like this :(
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Neither do I. prolly cus I'm in the place of origin of them.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Why do I always read the thread title as "[WIN WIN WIN] Things..." ?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

They guessed HP.
I lol'd. Well, yeah, they're going to go with the biggest PC manufacturer in the world. It gives them ~1 in 5 odds of being right! (We currently have 19% of the worldwide PC market. Right behind us is Lenovo, at just over 12%, while Dell and Acer are slowly dying off.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

"Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

"NOOOOO0000000oooooo......"
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Every time one of my main account RSRs (employees) sells a Dell, someone from another department will wander up and say, "Dude. You sold a Dell?" They will then throw their hands up in disgust and wander off.

I may or may not have had something to do with this. >_>

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Every time one of my main account RSRs (employees) sells a Dell, someone from another department will wander up and say, "Dude. You sold a Dell?" They will then throw their hands up in disgust and wander off.

Max if you can stomp out Dells in the workplace i will leave HP alone.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Max if you can stomp out Dells in the workplace i will leave HP alone.
I'm working on it! >.< I'm trying to get a deal together to replace the shitty (first wave of pentium dual cores, 1gb RAM) dells with moderately priced HPs in one of the local manufacturing HQs. I'm also trying to do the same with the local community college, which I happen to attend.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

They guessed HP.
I lol'd. Well, yeah, they're going to go with the biggest PC manufacturer in the world. It gives them ~1 in 5 odds of being right! (We currently have 19% of the worldwide PC market. Right behind us is Lenovo, at just over 12%, while Dell and Acer are slowly dying off.)
And yet HP is the one investors are fleeing like a giant turd casserole. Maybe this signals the decline of giant PC manufacturer congloms, and we'll go back to the good old days of "What kind do I have? Well, it's an AMD processor on an ATI motherboard, with dual NVIDIA graphics cards, Razer RAM, a Western Digital hard drive...."

(That's my actual configuration, btw....and before anyone points it out, yes I know it's derpy to have NVIDIA gfx cards on an ATI mobo...the cards were donated to me by a friend after I burnt my ATI card out. Can't run SLI, but it does let me have dual screens, which is more useful to me)

Also, I'm using a Dell E6400 right now at work. Not a bad little laptop, other than an issue with thermal throttling. Only really a problem if I'm doing something CPU intensive like ArcGIS...or Dwarf Fortress  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortess should be the minimum of all system requirements.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

it's pretty impressive. I was actually using DF when we were doing some tests of the thermal issues to try an diagnose a recurrent performance issue (to wit: prior to a certain BIOS patch, these laptops would throttle down when the CPU temp hit a certain threshold, and then never throttle back up once they cooled).

We needed a way to get the CPU temp to ramp up quickly, so I had a fort with about 100 population that I'd load.
The other techs thought it was highly amusing that ballistics simulators and high-detail geocoding software wouldn't cause a rapid overheat, but an ASCII-based game was like concentrated heat death.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

They guessed HP.
Maybe this signals the decline of giant PC manufacturer congloms, and we'll go back to the good old days of "What kind do I have? Well, it's an AMD processor on an ATI motherboard, with dual NVIDIA graphics cards, Razer RAM, a Western Digital hard drive...."
You can do the same with any manufacturer setup, though. I mean, I have an AMD processor on an ATI board with an ATI graphics card, Crucial RAM and a WD HDD...and I got mine straight from HP. *shrug* The pieces are the pieces are the pieces. It's all a matter of buying them already put together or spending the extra time and money for exactly what you want.

it's pretty impressive. I was actually using DF when we were doing some tests of the thermal issues to try an diagnose a recurrent performance issue (to wit: prior to a certain BIOS patch, these laptops would throttle down when the CPU temp hit a certain threshold, and then never throttle back up once they cooled).

We needed a way to get the CPU temp to ramp up quickly, so I had a fort with about 100 population that I'd load.
The other techs thought it was highly amusing that ballistics simulators and high-detail geocoding software wouldn't cause a rapid overheat, but an ASCII-based game was like concentrated heat death.  :P
That IS amusing!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

I'm clearly not gonna do shit about it, but I think DF may have once at least been a major factor to frying a motherboard on a $1100 gaming laptop. It managed to work out ok I suppose, but still wow. I'm echoing the sentiments I guess.

Honestly though, damn, of all improvements for DF, I'd hope CPU usage might be on the list cause, damn. :) :P

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:18:19 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 5355 5356 [5357] 5358 5359 ... 13325