Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5335 5336 [5337] 5338 5339 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746928 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never really liked meat, and eat it less commonly than I eat things like beans or nuts for protein. I was a Vegetarian for about 1/3 of my life, and try to have a personal connection with any meat I eat; I fry and eat fish I catch, get beef from a small farm owned by a close family friend, etc. I can't always do that, especially being that I can't fish year-round, and don't care to hunt for wild animals when there are plenty of farm-raised animals for me to eat... but even when I can't, I take some time to personally recognize the animals I eat, what they went through to bring me that meal, and internally thank them for contributing to my life and survival.

It's my one concession to rituals and spirituality.
I am sure the dead animal appreciates the gesture.

I'm sure they don't know or care. I just think it's important for me to realize and be aware of that, so I don't lose sight of the interconnectedness of their lives and mine. Got to make my life worthwhile to thank them for giving theirs to sustain it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I think it's pretty sinister, TBH. I don't mean this in an offensive way, for the record. It's just that, were I prey, I'd be more creeped out if my would-be-predators engaged in these kind of apologetics than if they just meant to kill and eat me without thinking it twice.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I think it's pretty sinister, TBH. I don't mean this in an offensive way, for the record. It's just that, were I prey, I'd be more creeped out if my would-be-predators engaged in these kind of apologetics than if they just meant to kill and eat me without thinking it twice.
Really? I suppose it'd be because the human reaction to that would be to KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
Yet how could you kill something that acted so... Human?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I was going to mow the lawn today, but it's raining!

Happy 1: Rain!
Happy 2: Excuse to procrastinate!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yet how could you kill something that acted so... Human?
Seriously? Humans have a pretty strong track record of killing cannibalsother humans, so. The answer isn't that hard to find.

Though... xenophobia, dehumanization, and the extent most humans care about what's outside their monkeysphere (Pretty close to exactly jack.) isn't exactly happy thread material. Different topic!

Rain! Rain is good! I really wish I had rain right now. Went outside little while ago, to take out dog. Air was such that I've cooked things with lower temperatures. Florida~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

I largely agree with this sentiment.

If it actually made a sacrifice for you, reverence would be appropriate, but I feel that thanking something that suffered and died unwillingly and without knowing the reason is rather crass, and I see no reason to recognize any connection if you mean to munch on it anyway.

I think you mean well, but I disagree with your ritual.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

Rain! Rain is good! I really wish I had rain right now. Went outside little while ago, to take out dog. Air was such that I've cooked things with lower temperatures. Florida~
Want rain now. Scotland's supposed to be cold and wet, not really fucking hot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

WHY IS THIS ISLAND SO FUCKING HOT RIGHT NOW?! D:

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Same here, but inland...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I take some time to personally recognize the animals I eat

"Hey, I know you!" *OM NOM NOM*  :P

In all seriousness though, that's probably more along the lines of how I want my kids to grow up rather than "saying grace" at the table. Even for non-animal products--those sweet potatoes didn't plant and harvest themselves. We're actually really hopeful that the city council will soon pass a proposal to allow for the keeping of backyard chickens, so that we can have fresh eggs daily, and get the kids more into the whole local agriculture/locovore thing. We already get probably 90% of our meat locally, and we're part of a produce co-op so we get fresh local produce each week delivered to our doorstep. It's actually kind of nice because it makes cooking into Challenge Mode.

Instead of "What are we going to cook this week?", it's "You have five pounds of sweet potatoes, a quart of heirloom tomatoes and a metric buttload of kale. ALLEZ CUISINE!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Same here, but inland...
Same here, but in-what's-supposed-to-be-sea...

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

In all seriousness though, that's probably more along the lines of how I want my kids to grow up rather than "saying grace" at the table.
I would rather sit at the table and say "Grace". She brings my food.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Going backwards on an elliptical is like five times as hard as going forwards. I'm going to have to build my backwards running endurance.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Going backwards on an elliptical is like five times as hard as going forwards. I'm going to have to build my backwards running endurance.
Warning : Using machine as not intended might cause unexpected injury.

I think the elliptical is designed to only go forward, seeing that there are no straps and .. stuff.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

[20:29:13] Kyratzes Talvadore: Iodine Lutetium Vanadium Yttrium Oxygen Uranium
--- is blushing out of control and was breathtaken

*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 5335 5336 [5337] 5338 5339 ... 13325