Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5293 5294 [5295] 5296 5297 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15806415 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

For pressure reasons?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

More for refraction reasons, to be honest. Gives more room for the photons to bounce back into the GLOW stuff.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I loved the Silmarillion.  I couldn't read it as a kid, but as of a couple years ago I really enjoyed it.  The story of the world as a whole is sad and beautiful.  Note also that Tolkien actually considered it to be his main body of work, but it never became known as such because he never completed it.  LotR was commissioned by his publisher for purely commercial purposes, but Silmarillion was his true labor of love for over 50 years.

And if Peter Jackson ever hints at an interest in that material, I will find out where he lives and murder him in his sleep.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

Wow, we haven't had a Powder Toy thread since 2010. I'm going to make a new one.

And on the subject of classic literature, I have to say that I absolutely loved The Hobbit, however I have tried on three seperate occasions to read The Fellowship of the Ring but I just can't seem to get through it. I generally enjoy classic literature as well, so it was very strange to me that I didn't enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Never gave The Simarillion a try, and I don't plan on it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Yeah, the Lord of the Rings series is a lot harder to follow in literary form than in Peter Jackson's cinematic version. Also, the books go a lot further in depth than the movie. The Silmarillion is more a compendium of stories (or maybe a history book) than a single thread of plot, from what I can tell (I never was able to get very far in it).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Wow, we haven't had a Powder Toy thread since 2010. I'm going to make a new one.
Link it when you do, dust games = why do I enjoy it :x

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I recently watched the Fellowship of the Ring film, and I gotta say, there were several parts where I had to hold back from bursting out laughing. Frodo stares into space with a pained look for like, a full 1/5 of the movie.

Dunno if the films will be fondly remembered by future generations or not. All I know is I find them very, very narmy at times.

As for the books, I found the Hobbit superior to the trilogy. Why? Entirely because of the plot. Stealing from a dragon was far more interesting to me than saving the world, as I had heard dozens of save the world plots before but never something so pragmatic and plausible (for fantasy) like dragon hunting.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

Link it when you do, dust games = why do I enjoy it :x
It's science time.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The thing to remember is that Tolkien's work, especially The Silmarillion, are not meant to be read like your typical novel for entertainment.  It's not an item of content to be consumed.  Tolkien was a philologist who loved ancient mythologies, especially those of northern european origin.  His intention wasn't to write an entertaining story.  It was to construct his own mythology, complete with its own languages and creation/apocalypse myths.  He also intended for it to become part of the legacy of his era, that could be passed on and evolved through generations like historical mythologies were.  He wrote some stories in more detail than others and left long periods of time only vaguely documented so that others would have blanks to fill.  He did not, however, look favorably on translation of his work into non-literary formats.  He wanted it to remain written and oral tradition.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I realized that when I was about a third of the way through The Fellowship of the Ring. I suppose that's why I couldn't really get that into it. The lore was rich and detailed, but the sheer quantity of it may be what drove me away in the first place.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

The thing to remember is that Tolkien's work, especially The Silmarillion, are not meant to be read like your typical novel for entertainment.  It's not an item of content to be consumed.  Tolkien was a philologist who loved ancient mythologies, especially those of northern european origin.  His intention wasn't to write an entertaining story.  It was to construct his own mythology, complete with its own languages and creation/apocalypse myths.  He also intended for it to become part of the legacy of his era, that could be passed on and evolved through generations like historical mythologies were.  He wrote some stories in more detail than others and left long periods of time only vaguely documented so that others would have blanks to fill.  He did not, however, look favorably on translation of his work into non-literary formats.  He wanted it to remain written and oral tradition.

Oh man, now I need to memorize the lay of Túrin Turambar to later tell my grandchildren when their parents aren't around :3

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I for one enjoyed the Silmarillion.
I did aswell.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Hey, everybody, let's make a pact: We should all solemnly swear to raise children on the mythology Tolkien put together. Of course, that'd require a copy of the Silmarillion that just consists of the main body of text...

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

Hey, everybody, let's make a pact: We should all solemnly swear to raise children on the mythology Tolkien put together. Of course, that'd require a copy of the Silmarillion that just consists of the main body of text...
Oh god, I can just see the potential.

Preschool Teacher: And where do you all live?
Your Kid: Middle Earth.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

If I'm going to raise my kids on a mythology, it's gonna be my own! That way I can subtly manipulate their subconscious to more effectively brainwash them into becoming what I want them to, like all good parents do.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 5293 5294 [5295] 5296 5297 ... 13325