Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5249 5250 [5251] 5252 5253 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15800946 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

So far, I have an almost solid grasp of Hiragana, but Katakana just beats my head in trying to remember it. And they're just the same thing with different characters, so it's especially maddening in that regard. I heard Kanji has something like 1000 characters, and that Japanese kids need to know them in order to graduate middle school. That's a scary scary thought.
Something that helped me was associating the abstract forms with real objects.  Ka in Katakana kinda looks like the tip of a katana, for example.  And for Na, kinda reminded me of a stylized flying gnat (gNAt).

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

I'm reading the Mote in God's Eye.

Dear god do Niven and Pournelle make a good team.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

If I remember right, there are actually tens of thousands of Kanji characters, but you only need to know a very small portion (I think it's still over 1,000, though) to be considered literate... fluent, even.  I think most of them are dialect in nature.  Just like in english, no one uses the whole dictionary.

I'm recalling this off the top of my head from 6 years ago, so I'm likely wrong about something here.  I wish I had time to study Japanese again.  I really wanted to learn.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

So far, I have an almost solid grasp of Hiragana, but Katakana just beats my head in trying to remember it. And they're just the same thing with different characters, so it's especially maddening in that regard. I heard Kanji has something like 1000 characters, and that Japanese kids need to know them in order to graduate middle school. That's a scary scary thought.
Something that helped me was associating the abstract forms with real objects.  Ka in Katakana kinda looks like the tip of a katana, for example.  And for Na, kinda reminded me of a stylized flying gnat (gNAt).

Ah yeah. I had the Na in hiragana as 'nun' with the elongated cross and someone kneeling down.

:P

Katakana are pretty easy to learn once you learn how they relate to hiragana.

And Salmon is right, there are many thousands of kanji - think of them as 'Word bits' - some words can be one kanji, some can be two, or more. To pass VCE Japanese (year 12) we had to identify 1000, and write 500 passably well.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's something I try to do, but even in Hiragana I still get tripped up by the ones that look alike, namely Ne ね, Wa わ, and Re れ. I just need some more drilling in Katakana, and it'll stick eventually.

I still need alot of practice reading things naturally, as I still need to take everything one character at a time to read what something says.

My goal is to become atleast proficient enough that I can finally do a complete playthrough of Fire Emblem 5 untranslated. That's a little ways off though.

If I remember right, there are actually tens of thousands of Kanji characters, but you only need to know a very small portion (I think it's still over 1,000, though) to be considered literate... fluent, even.  I think most of them are dialect in nature.  Just like in english, no one uses the whole dictionary.

I'm recalling this off the top of my head from 6 years ago, so I'm likely wrong about something here.  I wish I had time to study Japanese again.  I really wanted to learn.

I guess I'm not sure, but it seems like alot of memorization. Or maybe I'm just looking at them like unintelligible blocks of lines and squiggles, when in reality they can be read naturally if I know how, and I just don't know how yet. Kind of like how in English you can read words you don't know and still pronounce them even if you don't know what they mean.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I guess I'm not sure, but it seems like alot of memorization. Or maybe I'm just looking at them like unintelligible blocks of lines and squiggles, when in reality they can be read naturally if I know how, and I just don't know how yet. Kind of like how in English you can sometimes read words you don't know and still pronounce them even if you don't know what they mean.
FTFY. Some of 'ems traps. Delicious lingual traps. English is pretty close to the dwarf fortress of languages, honestly.

Unless of course you meant pronounce them erroneously. That's really easy and, being fair, is less likely to get you punched in the face in most english speaking countries.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I never pronounce anything wrong.  I just invent my own accent as I go along!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I'm not sure, but it seems like alot of memorization. Or maybe I'm just looking at them like unintelligible blocks of lines and squiggles, when in reality they can be read naturally if I know how, and I just don't know how yet. Kind of like how in English you can sometimes read words you don't know and still pronounce them even if you don't know what they mean.
FTFY. Some of 'ems traps. Delicious lingual traps. English is pretty close to the dwarf fortress of languages, honestly.

Unless of course you meant pronounce them erroneously. That's really easy and, being fair, is less likely to get you punched in the face in most english speaking countries.

Is that so? I always heard that English was one of the easier languages, despite it's occasional caveat here and there.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

We have shittons of words and lots of backwards grammar rules.

Also lots of exceptions to rules.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

And exceptions to those exceptions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Is that so? I always heard that English was one of the easier languages, despite it's occasional caveat here and there.

I mostly tend to hear that it is difficult because of the large number of loan-languages, and because of the huge number of exceptions and idioms that can only really be learned with memorization and use. Not sure if I agree or not, but that's the most common thing I've heard.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah... general consensus (From language teachers, foreign students, etc.) I've heard is that English is one of the hardest languages to learn as a second language, for reasons already mentioned. Most other languages are relatively sane and logical and the exceptions are, well, exceptions. English is almost as much exception as rule.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Wait... we have rules?

This is news to me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I've heard English be called "the clusterfuck of languages thats makes the rest of them sound more sensible." before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

To quote an old joke, English doesn't just borrow words from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over the head, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:44:51 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 5249 5250 [5251] 5252 5253 ... 13325