Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5184 5185 [5186] 5187 5188 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15797334 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Wikipedia to the rescue.

And Zweihanders are a particular type of sword, actually.
These swords represent the final stage in the trend of increasing size started in the 14th century. In its developed form, the Zweihänder has acquired the characteristics of a polearm rather than a sword. Consequently, it is not carried in a sheath, but across the shoulder like a halberd.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Back in it goes. Thanks for the correction. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Zweihander is just another name for "broadsword", by the way.

Specifically the German broadsword, but yeah... European blade types are pretty much used up. Try Middle Eastern blades. I'm not sure, but I think they had some heavier blades as well.

FAKEEDIT: Ninja'd

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey hey, talking about Korean without me.
The thing is, the language is highly complex.  On the other hand the written language (hangul) is the most logical thing in the world, no exaggeration.  Hanja, which is to my understanding very similar to written Chinese, is... about as complex as written Chinese, really.
(Seriously, no joke about how logical hangul is.  Knowing the spoken language, I taught myself to read it in a matter of weeks.)
Kinda makes me wish I lived in a language that made sense with its spelling, instead of one that usually draws the spelling of the word from how it's spelled in the language it originally came from, which really makes things confusing when the words have Celtic, Germanic, French, Latin, Greek, Scandinavian, Spanish, Italian, and a bunch more, origins.

It also doesn't help that for a long time there wasn't even a standard spelling for even many familiar English words.

It also didn't help when a certain English colony decided to make an attempt at reforming the crazy spellings, but since spelling "women" "wimmin" made you look silly, they only did it in a very half-assed way that led to a rift in the language that still has other countries debating over whether they should teach English the way the superpower spells it, or the way the language creators spell it.

English is a stupid language, but unfortunately it's also very powerful, and the only one I'm comfortable working in... Not that most other major languages tend to be much better.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Darn, and I thought I was smart for suggesting Estocs.

There are Mameluke swords, Saifs/Scimitars, Kilij, Pulwaar and Talwar.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Those big ass Scimitars. I don't know if they have a special name. Also Zweihander, but that's mostly just a regional variant of what you have. Weren't there some kind of Middle-Eastern two-handed sabres as well?

Really, there aren't very many real variations unless you want to separate them into minor design differences. Possibly because the limited use.

Pressur: Damn. Very ninja'd.
Love, scriver~

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Falxes are on the borderline between swords and polearms, but they're really really cool, so yeah.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, all of the Mameluke swords all seem to blend together from a mechanical standpoint. I chose to represent the Scimitar and Shamshir. There's only so far I can stretch the differences between weapons. :\

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let the Thracian within you guide your hand
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I presume this is for a game of some sort, so I'd suggest just grabbing some names and fudging the statistics a bit to suit your needs. Absolute realism isn't always the best course of action.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I presume this is for a game of some sort, so I'd suggest just grabbing some names and fudging the statistics a bit to suit your needs. Absolute realism isn't always the best course of action.
This is true, but I still want the weapons to be mostly recognizable. I'm going to get flamed over the placement of certain weapons anyway (like the falchion, which is a short sword...), but I'd like to minimize that.

I have plenty of spear types, thank you.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have plenty of spear types, thank you.

Falxes are not spears, by any stretch of the imagination, but yeah, they're not quite swords either.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

No, I know. The falx is counted as a "Long Sword", not a "Great Sword". ^_^

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? They were almost always used double-handed, if the wikipedia page I just read had anything to do with reality.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Really? They were almost always used double-handed, if the wikipedia page I just read had anything to do with reality.
Whoops. I was looking at the Falcata for some reason.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance, guys. If you have any more suggestions, please, take it to my sig, so as to not derail the happy further.

Pages: 1 ... 5184 5185 [5186] 5187 5188 ... 13325