Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5166 5167 [5168] 5169 5170 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15784340 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: [Yahoo~] Things to totally thank Kyouko for today thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #77505 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »

I haven't played it since age 10 or so, so I'm not sure as to how it would hold up almost two decades later.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77506 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »

I remember playing 3 a year ago.

In hindsight, MoM was probably better suited to be a damage dealer than a supporter.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77507 on: April 30, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »

I also think 8 is unfairly maligned. The GF system was a Magical Walkway to Godhood for Fun and Profit. Man the story was awful though.
The mechanics were built around grinding. Miserably, horrible, terribly boring grinding.

That is /not/ fun.

If you didn't grind, the game was unbeatable. If you did enough, the game was a cakewalk and no fun. So not only did you have to grind a lot, you had to make sure not to grind too much or you'd be bored.

And the story being awful is enough to malign an FF game on its own, especially when, like 8, there were no redeeming mechanics to fall back on and its primary gimmick (drawing magic) was borked to hell.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #77508 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »

I can't remember an FF that wasn't based around grinding. JRPG and grind are like synonyms. Hell, in 7 you had to level up your materia! In 9 you had to steal skills from your armor and weapons, through grinding. Want to use that new staff? Too bad! You haven't learned meteor yet. If I were forced to decide, I guess would say the least grindy is 4 or 12. I suppose 6 wasn't very grindy, but I refused to face the final tower until everyone in my main party had learned every single spell...
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77509 on: April 30, 2012, 02:06:00 pm »

Didn't FF8's monsters scale with party level, making grinding a largely pointless exercise unless you gamed it really effectively (since, as I recall, monster stats changed every time you moved from one range of levels to the next, so optimally you wanted to be at the high end of one range forever) or ground all the way to the highest levels to start with?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77510 on: April 30, 2012, 02:06:42 pm »

Which makes it all the more impressive that 8 managed to stand out.

Also, Bauglir, you don't grind killing monsters or fighting in 8. That's just stupid. You find a weak monster and spend half an hour hitting the "draw" button.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #77511 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:50 pm »

Which is fundamentally different from hitting the attack button only in that you didn't get to see Squall wave his silly sword around. :p
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77512 on: April 30, 2012, 02:10:42 pm »

I also think 8 is unfairly maligned. The GF system was a Magical Walkway to Godhood for Fun and Profit. Man the story was awful though.
The mechanics were built around grinding. Miserably, horrible, terribly boring grinding.

That is /not/ fun.

If you didn't grind, the game was unbeatable. If you did enough, the game was a cakewalk and no fun. So not only did you have to grind a lot, you had to make sure not to grind too much or you'd be bored.

And the story being awful is enough to malign an FF game on its own, especially when, like 8, there were no redeeming mechanics to fall back on and its primary gimmick (drawing magic) was borked to hell.

Oh... Oh man, I'm really sorry to say this, but you were just playing it wrong :/.

You can tackle the end boss with no magic junctioned to stats and at the lowest level possible. I've personally done it. It's easy.

It's all about whoring limitbreaks like it's going out of style. You can junction magic to stats if it makes you feel better, and you don't even need to draw any from monsters, like really, serious, drawing magic from monsters is for chumps! Just need to draw from draw points, or convert it from items and cards; and you don't even need to play the card game, you get tons of great cards to convert for free. The game is way more fun when you focus on it like that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77513 on: April 30, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »

Oh, right. That. Didn't they have stores or something that would let you buy (relatively shitty) magic? I seem to recall only ever frequently drawing magic on the Island of Heaven and Hell or whatever those were that had the abnormally powerful monsters. It's been a long, long time, though.

EDIT: Oh, right! Draw points! That is what I did. Yeah, I tended to view Drawing in combat as a waste of turns I could use to kill things. Never had too much difficulty progressing, up until the final boss section (Griever had a tendency to TPK the party with Shockwave Pulsar). Also, Ultima Weapon took some trying, and Omega I never beat without cheating.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #77514 on: April 30, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »

That is /not/ fun.

Oh... Oh man, I'm really sorry to say this, but you were just playing it wrong :/.

You can tackle the end boss with no magic junctioned to stats and at the lowest level possible. I've personally done it. It's easy.

It's all about whoring limitbreaks like it's going out of style. You can junction magic to stats if it makes you feel better, and you don't even need to draw any from monsters, like really, serious, drawing magic from monsters is for chumps! Just need to draw from draw points, or convert it from items and cards; and you don't even need to play the card game, you get tons of great cards to convert for free. The game is way more fun when you focus on it like that.
I'm quite fond of grinding though. I'm the sort of guy who has 100 blizzara, fira and thundara junctioned to each of my character's stats before I leave Balamb.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77515 on: April 30, 2012, 02:51:12 pm »

And that's a valid way to play too, it just means that now along with progressing through the game, you get to do super bullshit things like beating the crap out of the Mecha Spider at each of dozen or so times you fight him, putting T-rex through the ringer way earlier than you have any right to, and one-shotting pretty much all of the early game bosses.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77516 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:30 pm »

Okay, I never did grind in that game myself, because I never needed to on account of first getting stopped by a scratched disk at the end of disk one, and then realizing I gave absolutely no cares what happened by the end of disk 2, and only made it that far because I enjoyed the card game. :P

But back to talking about things that make us happy!

You know that the best Final Fantasy was?

Final Fantasy Adventure

(Seiken Densetsu ft happiness w)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #77517 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »

Stupid levels of powergaming do make me happy though :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77518 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

Know what entire series was completely and totally awesome? Suikoden.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77519 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »

I have /still/ not played Suikoden, and god knows why. Everyone seems to concur on how awesome it is. Adding it to the top of my to do list NOW.
Pages: 1 ... 5166 5167 [5168] 5169 5170 ... 13325