Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5073 5074 [5075] 5076 5077 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15764379 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)] BURRITOTOWN!? (Happy Thread)
« Reply #76110 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:43 am »

I love how movies always show "hacking" or other assorted computer wizardry in some kind of graphical wonderland (like the infamous "UNIX" system in Jurassic Park) with progress bars and timers and whatnot, but the best way to get someone's jaw to drop and have them mutter something like "You people are gods" still remains pulling up a command prompt and fixing a problem entirely by typing arcane command-line stuff with lots of flags and switches.  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76112 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:24 am »

I love how movies always show "hacking" or other assorted computer wizardry in some kind of graphical wonderland (like the infamous "UNIX" system in Jurassic Park) with progress bars and timers and whatnot, but the best way to get someone's jaw to drop and have them mutter something like "You people are gods" still remains pulling up a command prompt and fixing a problem entirely by typing arcane command-line stuff with lots of flags and switches.  ;D
CLIs: Useful for both getting things done, and impressing lots of people.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #76113 on: April 10, 2012, 11:44:12 am »

I love the homebrew colorscheme. Some great examples are how the old DOS virus CASCADE made letters fall down the screen just like in the Matrix.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76114 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:05 am »

[latetotheparty]Hey, has anyone seen my suburito? It's a bigass wooden sword...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76115 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

So apparently I'm a lucky ass bastard.

I was journeying around Downtown Saginaw, a place I rarely visit, and in all my ineptitude I accidentally head down a one-way street, the wrong way.

And wouldn't you know that before I can turn into anywhere to correct myself that the first car to go by is a cop. I quickly say that I actually wasn't aware that this was a one-way when I started turning into it, and that I was headed for the parking lot just about ten feet away. The cop is then nice enough to wave traffic to the other side of the road and let me go by, saying that "Everyone get's one freebie" before letting me go.

I nearly had a heartattack. Maybe he thought I was new to town? Who knows.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #76116 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »

Finally broke down and just showed smart ass client everything that went into "those little pieces of paper," I did for him. Real Estate Law is pretty complex. It was lovely to see him squirm, because I really hate being talked down to. Took me years to develop these skills so when people say "I can do it myself," I just cringe and think of all the cases I've had to do to fix their mistakes (if they can even be fixed).

His wife is the more sensible one. She gets it at least. He's got far too much machismo for his own good. She has reigned him in recently, which saves me the trouble of dealing with it. This is the equivalent of being a retail employee and having the terrible customer's relatives tell them to stop being terrible customers. It's rare, but occasionally it happens.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #76117 on: April 10, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

That was a real OS interface for SGI computers.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76118 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »

i just love watching my fortresses decend into chaos...
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76119 on: April 10, 2012, 02:29:44 pm »

So apparently I'm a lucky ass bastard.

I was journeying around Downtown Saginaw, a place I rarely visit, and in all my ineptitude I accidentally head down a one-way street, the wrong way.

And wouldn't you know that before I can turn into anywhere to correct myself that the first car to go by is a cop. I quickly say that I actually wasn't aware that this was a one-way when I started turning into it, and that I was headed for the parking lot just about ten feet away. The cop is then nice enough to wave traffic to the other side of the road and let me go by, saying that "Everyone get's one freebie" before letting me go.

I nearly had a heartattack. Maybe he thought I was new to town? Who knows.

*Hugs*

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #76120 on: April 10, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »

You mean daily near-heart attacks?  Yes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76121 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »

Finished the Robolution DLC for Borderlands, quite fun :D

Also, one of the MINAC's quotes when he runs you over:
"I got dibs on his socks!"

XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76122 on: April 10, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »

DARPA's doing it again.  The current contest requires robots to semi-autonomously get into a vehicle, drive it, get out, move some objects, open a door, climb a ladder, bust a wall, close a valve, and replace a part.  All in one stretch, on presumably a single charge.  Human control is inevitable, but they give big bonus points for the robots needing as little control as possible (so: can your robot get a command of 'open this door', 'climb this ladder', 'drive to this point' and do it by themselves without needing someone to teleoperate it with a waldo).

Also, the very notion of probably-humanoid robots running around with impact hammers makes me think of Unreal Tournament.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76123 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »

We'll know we're in trouble when the contests start involving robots infiltrating and destroying the Machine Overmind.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76124 on: April 10, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »

We'll know we're in trouble when the contests start involving robots infiltrating and destroying the Machine Overmind.
This strategy. It seems poorly thought out.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 5073 5074 [5075] 5076 5077 ... 13325