Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5044 5045 [5046] 5047 5048 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15760053 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #75675 on: April 04, 2012, 11:09:28 am »

Well yeah.  Generally if someone catches you breaking a law they don't give you advice on how to circumvent it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #75676 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:03 am »

??? God he is a snarly old war vet, you've gotta give him that.

Are you sure your boss isn't actually a Dashiell Hammett character?  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #75677 on: April 04, 2012, 11:16:52 am »

??? God he is a snarly old war vet, you've gotta give him that.

Are you sure your boss isn't actually a Dashiell Hammett character?  :D

I'm sure if he was he'd be suing someone over it :P

Boss: "I don't curse very often anymore. Nothing to do with morality. It's like with the phone company and going over your minutes; they start charging you after a while. Cheaper's better."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:28:05 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #75678 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:18 am »

Well yeah.  Generally if someone catches you breaking a law they don't give you advice on how to circumvent it.
Might be more of a "watch out; I got your back this time, but might not in the future." thing

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #75679 on: April 04, 2012, 11:30:35 am »

SOPA IS ATTACKING VIA VIRUS NOW!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I probably missed the sarcasm, but you are aware that the thing that's popping up in all likelihood has nothing to do with SOPA or any Government action, and is actually a scare-tactic redirect, right? (I love the faint hint of Engrish in it too.)
Soli, i do tech support, found that on a customer's computer.

Might be more of a "watch out; I got your back this time, but might not in the future." thing
No it was a Trojan infection up the arse on this guy's computer, i thought it was funny for bringing up SOPA.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75680 on: April 04, 2012, 11:31:47 am »

Actually ends up sorta happy I Guess....

Truean, as usual sorry about what you deal with in your line of work. My buddy who works in nursing is dealing with a similar level of jadedness with his clients; on multiple occasions he's shared stories about being forced to put up with Users who feign pain and disability every day in order to legally obtain drugs, and vegge out on the State's dime, while other people are turned away from or avoid seeking treatment because they lack the very medical coverage these patients are abusing.

Just remember that there's some kind of hurt that has these people backed into a corner... something they're trying to avoid dealing with, be it shame or knowledge of their guilt or whatever... that's driving them to treat you and your organization like they do. The people undernieth their issues are still good people, but they're made mean (in the "small-minded/ignoble" sense) by their circumstances. Maybe that will bring you some solace.

In any case, that anecdote at the end was kinda great. There's a time and a place for politeness... don't be afraid to set it aside when you need to. A rule of thumb I learned from a man wiser than me: If you find yourself angry at someone, think about whether you want to improve your relationship with this person, or don't care about your relationship with this person. In the former case (say because you'll have to deal with this person in the long-term) don't hesitate to call them on their bullshit, and if you can offer them an alternative; say it with the intention of making your interactions with them better. In the later case (say because you'll never see this person again, or otherwise have no interest in knowing them any better) just let them and their problems roll around you, and disappear into the past.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #75681 on: April 04, 2012, 01:25:02 pm »

Actually ends up sorta happy I Guess....

Truean, as usual sorry about what you deal with in your line of work. My buddy who works in nursing is dealing with a similar level of jadedness with his clients; on multiple occasions he's shared stories about being forced to put up with Users who feign pain and disability every day in order to legally obtain drugs, and vegge out on the State's dime, while other people are turned away from or avoid seeking treatment because they lack the very medical coverage these patients are abusing.

Just remember that there's some kind of hurt that has these people backed into a corner... something they're trying to avoid dealing with, be it shame or knowledge of their guilt or whatever... that's driving them to treat you and your organization like they do. The people undernieth their issues are still good people, but they're made mean (in the "small-minded/ignoble" sense) by their circumstances. Maybe that will bring you some solace.

In any case, that anecdote at the end was kinda great. There's a time and a place for politeness... don't be afraid to set it aside when you need to. A rule of thumb I learned from a man wiser than me: If you find yourself angry at someone, think about whether you want to improve your relationship with this person, or don't care about your relationship with this person. In the former case (say because you'll have to deal with this person in the long-term) don't hesitate to call them on their bullshit, and if you can offer them an alternative; say it with the intention of making your interactions with them better. In the later case (say because you'll never see this person again, or otherwise have no interest in knowing them any better) just let them and their problems roll around you, and disappear into the past.

Thanks Solifuge, it keeps the murders I could get away with at bay. :P

Honestly though, the things I tell people that they don't like, even without any of that stuff, they get all stupid over. It's not like I woke up today and was like, "how can I piss off the person paying me the most today? :D " That's more or less how their actions are geared towards me. "I don't make zee rulez, I just followz zhem."
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #75682 on: April 04, 2012, 01:58:52 pm »

Google Maps directions from the Shire to Mordor.

Note the warning on the left-hand side.  :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #75683 on: April 04, 2012, 02:01:21 pm »

Old Easter Egg is old, but still happy worthy :D

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #75684 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »

What I find odd is that the Shire is apparently Brookfield, Wisconsin, and Mordor is Chicago. Well, I'm not too terribly surprised that Chicago is Mordor.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #75685 on: April 04, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »

One does not simply walk into Chicago?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75686 on: April 04, 2012, 02:16:41 pm »

What I find odd is that the Shire is apparently Brookfield, Wisconsin, and Mordor is Chicago. Well, I'm not too terribly surprised that Chicago is Mordor.
One does not simply walk into Chicago?

It's true; it's a lot less complicated to just take the train.

(That is a great Easter Egg, by the way)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #75687 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:06 pm »

I would've expected it to be Detroit.
Shoes...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #75688 on: April 04, 2012, 02:22:19 pm »

I would've expected it to be Detroit.

I would have said the same thing
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #75689 on: April 04, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

Now I'm picturing Bill Swerski's Superfans sitting around drinking beer and talking about "Da Orcss".

"Okay, Orcss against da Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Who ya got?"
"Who's leading da orcss?"
"Da Mouth a' Sauron."
(all) "DA ORCSS!"

Pages: 1 ... 5044 5045 [5046] 5047 5048 ... 13325