Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5043 5044 [5045] 5046 5047 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15760215 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #75660 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:29 am »

Bleh. The PSP translation sucks.

The original failed at basic english. The new one failed at ye olde englishe.

Personally, I'll take engrish over thees and thous. Plus there were some (unintentionally) awesome lines in the original, like the "blame yourself, or God" one from everyone's favorite anti-hero/villain/whatever (I still don't know what to classify Delita as, except a jerk).

I would hardly say that the new FFT translation fails at Ye Olde Englishe. Playing through a few chapters of the new translation, I'm getting a far better idea of Delita, Gafgarion, the Royal politicking going on, and so on. Also, all the awesome from the line you mention is still there; it's just more artfully done:

Other examples from the Intro:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:44:25 am by Solifuge »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75661 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:28 am »

Can't say I like it. The more proper new version just seems forced and unnatural, just from the little bit you've shown us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #75662 on: April 04, 2012, 05:57:02 am »

Frog's dialog always sounded wacky to me, too. As a kid I thought it a running joke to have him speak like that.

At least in Cyan's case, it definitely was.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75663 on: April 04, 2012, 06:07:58 am »

Can't say I like it. The more proper new version just seems forced and unnatural, just from the little bit you've shown us.

I found it more starchy, formal, and flowery... which is why I called the new translation pseudo-Shakespearean. It's more or less how people carried themselves "Back In The Day" hence why I liked it; in addition to carrying more of the heart of the characters across, it also evoked a time period. Comparatively, I found the old translation pretty bland and characterless, peppered with a few words like "Knave" and "Marquis" for flavor.

Note, I also might be lacking a nostalgia filter as I never got to play FFT back in the day... so the Engrish doesn't hold that same fondness for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:09:42 am by Solifuge »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75664 on: April 04, 2012, 06:14:17 am »

I found it more starchy, formal, and flowery... which is why I called it pseudo-Shakespearean. It's more or less how people carried themselves "Back In The Day" hence why I liked it; in addition to carrying more of the heart of the characters across, it also evoked a time period. Comparatively, I found the old translation pretty bland and characterless, peppered with a few words like "Knave" and "Marquis" for flavor.

Note, I also might be lacking a nostalgia filter as I never got to play FFT back in the day... so the old Engrish doesn't hold that same fondness for me as the Olde English does.

I never played FFT back in the day either, and I'm a bit tired so I can't elaborate well, but speaking so informally always just felt more down-to-earth, and like they were real people actually speaking to eachother rather than just acting as the mouthpieces of the authors.

Spoiler: divergent point (click to show/hide)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75665 on: April 04, 2012, 06:16:36 am »

For what it's worth, I prefer the new translation. It just seems that much more expressive. Feels good.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75666 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:31 am »

Clearly it is time to drop some way-rude linguistics upon this hizzouse.

And did people really talk like that ever? I always got the impression that people were always as informal as they are nowadays, but the written records have people speak like that because adding flowery bullshit to everything was just how people passed the time back then.

You are correct, people didn't talk like that back then either:
What actual Middle English looks like
"Ye knowe ek that in forme of speche is chaunge withinne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho that hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge us thinketh hem."

The same, in contemporary English
"In a thousand years' time the form of speech will change, and many words that once were apt seem quaint and strange to us now."

Archaic forms of English are very different languages than contemporary English, and many are closer to German. Most attempts to portray "Old English" just try to recreate the same feel and style using modern language. This often gets half-assed by throwing a ton of Thees and Thous out there, and appending every other word with an -e. Slightly more serious attempts try to recreate the elaborate sentence structure, and borrow archaic words and pronunciations to create the same feel. In any case, none of it is really authentic, but at the very least they are trying to recreate it in an intelligible way.

To bring it back to Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd argue that the new translation did a better job of evoking that style of speaking. Note that not all of the dialogue is formal like that either; peasants, thieves, and such talk much more plainly; however, the characters in that intro are all either noble-born, and/or educated in courtly manners, hence their formality.

That said, SOLIFUGE AWAY!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:24:04 am by Solifuge »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75667 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:46 am »

I'm pretty sure I used to own that "Civilizations" book.  I should find another thing like that, I'm doing a little linguistics project right now and could use some reference.

That's the first I've seen of the FF Tactics rerelease, and can I just say that I don't like Square's new "graphical styling", when it comes to things that aren't spritework?  I guess I'm really just talking about the character portraits.  Everyone in the FFTA games and this FFT rerelease, even at their grungiest looks like wooden carvings of very haughty people at a magical winetasting.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75668 on: April 04, 2012, 08:02:22 am »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #75669 on: April 04, 2012, 08:11:21 am »

Been listening to more of the Final Fantasy Complete OST on random while playing Fire Emblem. It's MUCH MUCH MUCH better than FE's music. Makes me sad that for how much I like FE, like all it's music is stale MIDI compositions.
Also, there's way more voiced pieces in FF9's OST than I remember there ever being in the game. and..
Is that a harpist in the background? yes! <3
Harps are up there with tubas and saxophones in that if they're done right, they just take that musical piece to the next fucking level instantly.
Oh man harps hell yes best thing. Although hell yeah saxophones. There is just something about them that makes their music stand out.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75670 on: April 04, 2012, 08:26:32 am »

Been listening to more of the Final Fantasy Complete OST on random while playing Fire Emblem. It's MUCH MUCH MUCH better than FE's music. Makes me sad that for how much I like FE, like all it's music is stale MIDI compositions.
Also, there's way more voiced pieces in FF9's OST than I remember there ever being in the game. and..
Is that a harpist in the background? yes! <3
Harps are up there with tubas and saxophones in that if they're done right, they just take that musical piece to the next fucking level instantly.
Oh man harps hell yes best thing. Although hell yeah saxophones. There is just something about them that makes their music stand out.
It's the arpeggios and the scales man, that make the harp such a beautiful instrument.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75671 on: April 04, 2012, 08:50:45 am »

That's the first I've seen of the FF Tactics rerelease, and can I just say that I don't like Square's new "graphical styling", when it comes to things that aren't spritework?  I guess I'm really just talking about the character portraits.  Everyone in the FFTA games and this FFT rerelease, even at their grungiest looks like wooden carvings of very haughty people at a magical winetasting.

To be honest, I kinda like FFT's whole noseless faces thing, and the scratchboard look of the art and the rerelease's video cutscenes. As for how I feel about the progression of Squaresoft's Art/Character Design:

So yeah. I'm more or less right there with you. Once they stopped going to Yoshitaka Amano's semi-psychedelic sketches for their character design and art style, things sorta soured.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:34:15 am by Solifuge »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #75672 on: April 04, 2012, 10:27:22 am »

SOPA IS ATTACKING VIA VIRUS NOW!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

theres a day maker, im still dealing with the google chinese redirect.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #75673 on: April 04, 2012, 10:59:10 am »

Actually ends up sorta happy I Guess....

I hate some of my clients sooooo much and I don't even care anymore.... I have found my inner "don't give a fuck." O I'll pretend to be concerned but no.... These are the same assholes who don't listen for shit and insist their opinions mean something [bursts out laughing]. No, fuck you, no.... Not only does the law say this but the judge does too. "You don't like it," I'm not surprised.

Co Worker's employment age discrimination suit: I fucking told her not to take this case and certainly not on contingency. Fuck contingency. I never do 'em. Client loses nothing if you lose so they don't care. There are deadlines to turn in documents and even extended deadlines. Client blows through all of them. So, now the company she's suing is making the case that client is a bad employee who doesn't listen for shit. Judge sees the document deadlines pass right on by with client not doing what she's been asked repeatedly. She's been diggin' that hole. So I honestly asked client if she wanted the money she's suing over or not. No, serious question, is this a free way for you to stick it to your company for firing your old stupid ass at firm's expense?

Every criminal client I've ever had: FUCK.... YOU.... You're the one that got arrested, not me. It should go without saying I'll do everything legally possible to defend you. Suck up your ego and realize you got arrested and you're the one being judged here and not me. "Your shitty lawyer blew your case?" You had no case and you're the one who got arrested.

And for all my bitching about it here, you know what. I don't care. I just don't care. <--- That's so god damn happy for once. I am so sick of being treated like I'm a fucking service employee flipping burgers. I'm a god damn attorney. I don't care what stupid crazy expectations client says anymore. Boss has told me to just ignore them now. Boss actually came out of his office today. It was magical.

Stupid client is being stupid client up in the front. Unreasonable as shit. Boss is sitting there with feet on desk, literally, listening to classical music in his office smoking a cigar (which he has told landlord and city to screw off about while handing them a complaint he drafted to charge him for smoking indoors, basically daring them to do it). [Classical music from boss' office stops, and old man makes his way the hell out front], "Are you making all that racket."
Client: "Who are you?"
[boss points to the front door, which has his name on it], "You didn't see it on the way in?"
Client: "I wanna talk to you about your employees...."
[boss cuts guy off] "You've been bellowing over Bach and much to my dismay, I've been listening. Get out."
[Boss turns to me] "And you! Stick up for yourself and tell this jerk to beat it! You're too damn polite, you pansy!" [boss returns to corner office muttering something].

??? God he is a snarly old war vet, you've gotta give him that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:07:27 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75674 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:16 am »

SOPA IS ATTACKING VIA VIRUS NOW!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I probably missed the sarcasm, but you are aware that the thing that's popping up in all likelihood has nothing to do with SOPA or any Government action, and is actually a scare-tactic redirect, right? (I love the faint hint of Engrish in it too.)
Pages: 1 ... 5043 5044 [5045] 5046 5047 ... 13325