Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4978 4979 [4980] 4981 4982 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15780390 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #74685 on: March 20, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »

Well, MLP is a cute show with well-developed characters, sharp writing, and excellent stylized animation. I like it because all those things an because it's cheerful and lighthearted without ending up saccharine, manichaean, or stupid, which is extremely hard to find.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74686 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:02 pm »

Wide swath of things, actually. It covers a lot of bases; why it's so popular in the first place.

1) Slice of life drama
2) Well written characters
3) Occasional action episodes
4) Good morals even adults can learn something from (sometimes)
5) Shock factor (mostly passed now)
6) Actually funny
7) Pretty progressive as far as media goes; eschews almost every common stereotype concerning women.

Have roughly 200 testimonials on why they like it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74687 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:11 pm »

Well, MLP is a cute show with well-developed characters, sharp writing, and excellent stylized animation. I like it because all those things an because it's cheerful and lighthearted without ending up saccharine, manichaean, or stupid, which is extremely hard to find.
See, a short and simple explanation. I'm not sure, but I think this is what Gotdamnmiracle was looking for.

I guess I can't complain overmuch. I still watch Avatar: The Last Airbender because it covers many of the same bases.

@ kaijyuu: No offense, but glowing testimonials from a website dedicated to the show is hardly impartial evidence :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74688 on: March 20, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »

Err, he was asking why people like it. How the hell am I going to get objective evidence about something 100% subjective? xD
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #74689 on: March 20, 2012, 09:49:23 pm »

Can someone explain the appeal of being a bronie to me please?

I could go on about how the writing and animation is great, and how the characters are memorable, and blah blah blah, but it's said so much that I think it's actually lost meaning and become the default argument for being a bronie.

I honestly don't know why it's so appealing, it's just so damn entertaining.

FAKEDIT: I read the other posts after I wrote this.  Turns out somebody already did mention the writing, characters, and animation.  Nearly everybody, in fact.  I may come off as sounding like an ignorant ass, but it really does just seem to be the default for explaining why it's good.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74690 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »

Err, he was asking why people like it. How the hell am I going to get objective evidence about something 100% subjective? xD
Some sort of professional/long-running reviewer might be good. Or not, whatever.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74691 on: March 20, 2012, 09:52:05 pm »

It ain't just ponies. Really, any story one really likes can be difficult to explain why. We can go on and on about production quality but ultimately that means squat unless it has some sort of personal appeal, and that's not easy to communicate.

Some sort of professional/long-running reviewer might be good. Or not, whatever.
Here ya go.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #74692 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

FAKEDIT: I read the other posts after I wrote this.  Turns out somebody already did mention the writing, characters, and animation.  Nearly everybody, in fact.  I may come off as sounding like an ignorant ass, but it really does just seem to be the default for explaining why it's good.
I think it's the default for explaining why you think anything is good, at least for me. It's kind of a checklist I go through when I watch a new cartoon. "How's the animation? How's the writing? Do I care about these characters?"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:56:50 pm by fqllve »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74693 on: March 20, 2012, 09:56:14 pm »

I think it's the default for explaining why you think anything is good, at least for me. It's kind of a checklist when I watch a new cartoon. "How's the animation? How's the writing? Do I care about these characters?"
Guilty. Ok, the first and last ones are negotiable to a degree, but without good writing an animated show doesn't have much to fall back on.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #74694 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:01 pm »

Well, I think that's a matter of personal taste. I'm extraordinarily shallow so I can enjoy something if the writing is bland as long as the animation is sufficiently gorgeous. More seriously, since animation is inherently visual I get kind of disappointed with people who choose it but don't seem to really utilize it. King of the Hill for example. It's still a good show, but it could have been live action without much difference.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74695 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:16 pm »

Mmm, I don't like wackiness for the sake of wackiness. Never liked Ren and Stimpy for that reason.

'Course the opposite ain't so great either. Most animes are far too stiff in their character animation. Exceptions like One Piece generally have to justify it with in-universe reasons.

Guess it depends on what's being conveyed, as always.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #74696 on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:05 pm »

I personally don't think the character's are THAT well written in MLP, there's really no character development (It is a kids cartoon after all.) and people seem to flip their shit over little nerdy jokes here and there in a cartoon. Over all it's decent, it's just the small vocal minority of the fanbase I dislike.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74697 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:53 pm »

My postcount just exploded. Seriously, I have posted almost a tenth of my current posts today.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74698 on: March 20, 2012, 10:48:39 pm »

A hundred posts in a day? You might want to get that looked at.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74699 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:26 pm »

Did I mention I have too much time?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 4978 4979 [4980] 4981 4982 ... 13325