Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4877 4878 [4879] 4880 4881 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15772110 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #73170 on: March 04, 2012, 11:05:29 am »

Spoiler: RPG Ramblings (click to show/hide)

Ah pity, if it were play by post I would have been interested in possibly playing but not sure if I have time for a real time game...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #73171 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:01 am »

You at least taken a look at Legend yet?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73172 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:57 am »

Legend has much the same issue as 4E. At least from my prospective.

I, for instance, want rules that actually cover what I can do. 4E and Legend seem to say: Hey. Don't bother with rules unless it is a fight. Which is not what I want. And even then it comes out bland compared to 3.5

Of course, 3.5 has its own issues. No balance. Harder to learn. More complex. But the simple thing is that these things do not personally bother me, whereas the issues with 4 and Legend do. Thus I like 3.5 more. Personal preference I say.

Of course that is only in theory. In reality the difference in my enjoyment between the two systems (never actually played a Legend game, would want to though.) are small enough to be fully overshadowed by other considerations such as who is running the game and who I am playing with.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #73173 on: March 04, 2012, 11:30:47 am »

3e can be fun.  Right now I kind of feel like if I wanted to play 3e I'd play 2e.

My favorite form of bearding in 3e is the spiked-chain fighter with 18 dex, combat reflexes, and cleave (later great cleave).  Throw an enlarge person on him and he threatens entire rooms, gets four attacks of opportunity a round, and kills five or six enemies a turn.  Their turn.

Cat's grace as icing.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73174 on: March 04, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

Yeah. Spiked-chain is one of the symbol of things that make 3.5 bad. It is basically irredeemably bad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #73175 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

I just ate cereal with coke. This combination was not meant for mortal palettes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73176 on: March 04, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »

My internet browsing is still broke as shit, but having random broken pages has finally unturned something interesting. When trying to go to XKCD, the page broke and I got to see this message that was apparently hidden in the code somewhere:

We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.

I have no idea what it means.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73177 on: March 04, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

'tisn't hidden. It's down at the bottom of the page, below the content warning.
*Hugs*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73178 on: March 04, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

Heh, never noticed that small text before.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73179 on: March 04, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »

I never noticed that there was a bottom of the page before. I've never had any reason to scroll down there.
*Hugs*

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73180 on: March 04, 2012, 03:16:17 pm »

You at least taken a look at Legend yet?
Been meaning to, haven't yet done it. Criptfeind echoes my thoughts on 4E, though, and on what really matters for having fun. No system other than FATAL that I've encountered is an automatic dealbreaker.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73181 on: March 04, 2012, 03:23:34 pm »

Legend has much the same issue as 4E. At least from my prospective.

I, for instance, want rules that actually cover what I can do. 4E and Legend seem to say: Hey. Don't bother with rules unless it is a fight. Which is not what I want. And even then it comes out bland compared to 3.5

Of course, 3.5 has its own issues. No balance. Harder to learn. More complex. But the simple thing is that these things do not personally bother me, whereas the issues with 4 and Legend do. Thus I like 3.5 more. Personal preference I say.

Of course that is only in theory. In reality the difference in my enjoyment between the two systems (never actually played a Legend game, would want to though.) are small enough to be fully overshadowed by other considerations such as who is running the game and who I am playing with.
All of these facts are true. Except, that's not really a PROBLEM. DnD is pretty awful at anything outside combat, even in 3.5E(wizards are something of an exception). 4E essentially amounted to them ADMITTING this, and clearing away the clutter that pretending otherwise created. Legend is similar, except it was built from the ground up to be a balanced fighting system and NOTHING more. For a lot of people(myself included), that removes a lot of the appeal of RPGs, but it's a perfectly valid design choice. And for those who want what it does, it does it well.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73183 on: March 04, 2012, 03:57:48 pm »

My subjective opinion on what I think is a problem is objectively wrong because your subjective opinion does not think it is a problem?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73184 on: March 04, 2012, 03:59:15 pm »

Not a line I ever expected to read in a game :P
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 4877 4878 [4879] 4880 4881 ... 13325