Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4841 4842 [4843] 4844 4845 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15808825 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #72630 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:04 pm »

I think it's the perceived racism of Jar Jar that people get all bent-out-of-shape over.
I actually haven't heard that one before, elaborate please?
That he's a racist caricature of black people.

Though I haven't heard the Italian one.

Really old school Italian maybe.

I always thought Watto was the Italian one anyway.  My dad calls him The Mafia Housefly.  I've also met a real life junkyard owner who talked, acted, and almost looked exactly like him.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72631 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:03 pm »

think hard about it or do some research.
I thought the entire reason about people hating midi-chlorians was because they thought hard about it (and then made up some research about it). Star Wars seems to make more sense when its not trying to be science'd.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72632 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »

Na, it was because they wanted to look like it was science, by replacing magic with magic microbes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72633 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:26 pm »

Well it was a pretty weak argument.

Something about the thick lips, big ears, and terrible english made it seem like a caricature.

Now that I think of it, I don't even remember where I heard it from. Nevermind me! :D

Edit: Though I HAVE heard that Watto is a caricature of Jews. Miserly, penny pinching, big nose. The hat even looks like a yamaka.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72634 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:33 pm »

Na, it was because they wanted to look like it was science, by replacing magic with magic microbes.
There's still some magic.

Ok, midiclorians are the host body's conduit into the Force. We still have the mystical energy field known as the Force. It can affect totally non-organic stuff, as we've seen any number of times. And in the EU, we've got creatures that block the Force, basically creating a no-magic zone.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72635 on: February 27, 2012, 10:41:50 pm »

Ok, midiclorians are the host body's conduit into the Force. We still have the mystical energy field known as the Force. It can affect totally non-organic stuff, as we've seen any number of times. And in the EU, we've got creatures that block the Force, basically creating a no-magic zone.
The EU also has an entire dozen+ book series focused on a species specifically exempt from having anything to do with the Force (which extends to all the organic tech they have), the new things brought up to fight them, and why they got tossed out of the magic universal thing in the first place.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72636 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »

And I agree with kaijyuu. Some of the books are really quite amazing.
The Thrawn Trilogy, I heard, was pretty awesome. At least, from the tropes page and what I knew from playing Tie Fighter. Thrawn is just hardcore badass.
Thrawn is freaking amazing.  He even managed to die with style.  Probably my favorite character from the entire series.

think hard about it or do some research.
I thought the entire reason about people hating midi-chlorians was because they thought hard about it (and then made up some research about it). Star Wars seems to make more sense when its not trying to be science'd.
I have nothing to say one way or the other regarding midi-chlorians, other than: The force is still magic, it's just because you have magic microbes now!
And you're right, Star Wars is very soft science fiction, not meant to be analyzed in depth, but there's still a difference between: having droids march in innefective and impractical formations which looks fine until you actually think about it, and a giant flying hammer machine that's only purpose is to float over the heads of your enemies and then smash them (and half of your own troops) into dust and is easily taken down or avoided.

Darn you ninjas.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72637 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:15 pm »

The EU also has an entire dozen+ book series focused on a species specifically exempt from having anything to do with the Force (which extends to all the organic tech they have), the new things brought up to fight them, and why they got tossed out of the magic universal thing in the first place.
I was referring to ysalamiri, but I guess you're talking about the Yuuzhan-Vong. I admit I haven't read those books, but isn't it a common magic trope to have enemies that are immune to the universe's energy?

But yeah; super-soft sci-fi. Magic swordfighters and space friction abound.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72638 on: February 27, 2012, 10:54:37 pm »

Science Fantasy is a good term. :D

Science as a vehicle for a story, instead of the story itself, like in Star Trek.

That's not a judgement call on either of em, I like them both. But comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72639 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »

Science Fantasy is a good term. :D

Science as a vehicle for a story, instead of the story itself, like in Star Trek.

That's not a judgement call on either of em, I like them both. But comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.
Oh, for sure. There's no reason you can't like both, as they're actually pretty different.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #72640 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:57 pm »

THere is very little hard sci fi at all.

Notable recent exception?

Moon.

Moon is incredible.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72642 on: February 27, 2012, 11:24:02 pm »

Everything inside me was expecting Jules Verne. He is the ultimate king of sci fi.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #72643 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »

Everything inside me was expecting Jules Verne. He is the ultimate king of sci fi.

Yea, but he pretty much skipped this era in his time machine, has not published anything in quite a while.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72644 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:41 pm »

I installed Android 4.0 (ICS) on my tablet. I decided to celebrate by using it to rewatch the pilot of Stargate SG1 on Netflix. My sister decided to watch too.

I totally forgot about that one full-frontal ambush, but the look on my sister's face made me crack up to the point where I couldn't finish the rest of the episode.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 4841 4842 [4843] 4844 4845 ... 13326