Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4833 4834 [4835] 4836 4837 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15806331 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #72510 on: February 26, 2012, 06:45:42 am »

I was going to interject that it couldn't be Vector because if it was, she obviously would have travelled to a time when Newton was an older man, but then I redid my math and realised that D'Aubigny would've been 20 in 1690 when Newton would have been 50.

So yeah, it's Vector.
Love, scriver~

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72511 on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:48 am »

How similar would a rapier be to a shinai anyway?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72512 on: February 26, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »

Something something rapier wit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72513 on: February 26, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »

How similar would a rapier be to a shinai anyway?
Not very. Kendo is more like saber fencing, with a primary emphasis on blocking and slashing, rather than parrying and poking.
I spent a semester trying to learn fencing, until I realized I had all the canny reflexes of an overweight manatee on qualudes.

"En gar--shit, the match is already over?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72514 on: February 26, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »

Also, rapiers have a one handed pistol style grip, where shinai and the katana they're based on are two handed. Fencing is all about thrusts and angles of attack, where kendo is more about sweeping strikes and movement. Also, stomping your foot and screaming so that the blind ass 90 year old judges can tell that you've scored a hit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72515 on: February 26, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »

Also, rapiers have a one handed pistol style grip, where shinai and the katana they're based on are two handed. Fencing is all about thrusts and angles of attack, where kendo is more about sweeping strikes and movement. Also, stomping your foot and screaming so that the blind ass 90 year old judges can tell that you've scored a hit.
The loud, angry, screaming part of martial arts is something I could never get into. I know it's supposed to make my strikes more powerful, but er, can't I just scream in my head? It's kinda against my nature to be that loud.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72516 on: February 26, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »

Really, it's more for intimidation/spiritual release than making your strikes more powerful. I mean, there may be an increased effect due to increased air intake, but it's not terribly noticable that I've seen. In ninjutsu and savate, kiais in my class are very rare.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72517 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:55 pm »

The loud, angry, screaming part of martial arts is something I could never get into. I know it's supposed to make my strikes more powerful, but er, can't I just scream in my head? It's kinda against my nature to be that loud.
In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, you don't need to scream at the top of your lungs. Just a quick, sharp "Ha!/Kiai!/Insert Sound Here!" will do.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72518 on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:56 pm »

In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, you don't need to scream at the top of your lungs. Just a quick, sharp "Ha!/Kiai!/Insert Sound Here!" will do.
Yeah, but even that's difficult for me. I just... don't like making noise.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #72519 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:06 pm »

Julie D'Aubigny was a 17th-century bisexual French opera singer and fencing master who killed or wounded at least ten men in life-or-death duels, performed nightly shows on the biggest and most highly-respected opera stage in the world, and once took the Holy Orders just so that she could sneak into a convent and bang a nun. If nothing in that sentence at least marginally interests you, I have no idea why you're visiting this website.

Dear god, I think I have fallen in love...
I wish to second this statement.
Bouse o-o
Wow. Reading all that reminded me of one of my characters I came up with for a storyline I had in mind long ago; except she was a sort of self-aware hyper-intelligent AI that worked with the main character that eventually turned trans-human (from AI to human) somewhat solely for similar human interactions as listed (All this behind the back of her creator, the main character. Plus being a bit of a cyber-psychic interacting with machines telepathically, since she is a bit of an AI in a human(oid) body of her own creation as well). She was a fun character to develop, although a bit of a Mary Sue type; but nonetheless, she broke many AI/Hollywood robotics tropes, and even lampshaded many of them (watching TV shows and movies) taking them on as if it were racism of machinekind. She even saw Transhumanism as a bit of an odd approach for humans to take as time passes (especially since she went in reverse, going from machine to human, instead of the other way around; seeing as the human form seemed more superior/efficient and way easier to maintain than a hollow shell; and upgrading is as simple as evolving through adaptation).

Man, I gotta develop that universe again, even if I'm not going to actually be making anything of it for public release; more of a personal project, if anything. I had some pretty cool ideas and stories and ministories going through it. Many bits of it made me feel rather Jules Verne-ish considering the amounts of detail I put behind even some of the simplest things in the universe. Quantum ammo magazines anyone (some pistols fired well over 500 shots in one clip)? It was like I was justifying some game mechanics if they really existed in real life.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:59:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72520 on: February 26, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »

Try Ninjutsu. Imagine Naruto. Now imagine something exactly the opposite of that. That's Ninjutsu. Oh, also, I teach it. ^_^ About the kiai, also, I agree that the quick, sharp sound is the best. So long as you don't yell "Boing!" Yes, I've actually seen that. >_______>

Also, today is the day I reclaim my bedroom. I go now to attack the huge pile of stuff that's overwhelmed it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72521 on: February 26, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »

Are you attacking it with ninjitsu?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72522 on: February 26, 2012, 03:11:32 pm »

Try Ninjutsu. Imagine Naruto. Now imagine something exactly the opposite of that. That's Ninjutsu. Oh, also, I teach it. ^_^ About the kiai, also, I agree that the quick, sharp sound is the best. So long as you don't yell "Boing!" Yes, I've actually seen that. >_______>

Also, today is the day I reclaim my bedroom. I go now to attack the huge pile of stuff that's overwhelmed it.
What does real ninjutsu involve? What kind of stuff do you teach? I've always been curious.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72523 on: February 26, 2012, 03:15:27 pm »

I kinda want to take martial arts classes just so I can use 'Derp!'. :P

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #72524 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:53 pm »

I don't think I'd be able to resist the urge to use "Boop".
Pages: 1 ... 4833 4834 [4835] 4836 4837 ... 13325