Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4829 4830 [4831] 4832 4833 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15804195 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #72450 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »

But I went to all the effort of making it rainbow style!

If it will taste anything like rainbow ice, I will not be impressed D:

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #72451 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:24 am »

Home made fish taco's.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72452 on: February 25, 2012, 01:35:04 am »

I just discovered the Open Source Ecology project. They're building a sustainable model for global civilizations from the ground up, using a kit of practical, modular, and highly functional machines that can provide all the infrastructure and comforts of modern civilization, in sustainable forms... and the tools are being designed through collaboration with engineers all over the world, with completely free and openly accessible blueprints.

This is a pretty big deal, and I mean a pretty big deal on a Humanity-Wide scale. In other news, I think I've just found myself a career-direction.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:51:20 am by Solifuge »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72453 on: February 25, 2012, 01:38:52 am »

I just discovered the Open Source Ecology project. They're building a sustainable model for global civilizations from the ground up, using a kit of practical, modular, and highly functional machines that can provide all the infrastructure and comforts of modern civilization, in sustainable forms... and the tools are being designed through collaboration with engineers all over the world, with completely free and openly accessible blueprints.

This is a pretty big deal, and I mean a pretty big deal on a Humanity-Wide scale. In other news, I think I've just found myself a career-direction.

Yeah, they are pretty cool!  I like how they are trying to make all the machines modular.

I'm not convinced of some of their resource gathering machines though.  Not everywhere has access to iron or clay, so I'm not sure if they are going to have fall back ideas.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72454 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:44 am »

So they're building a house out of compressed clay? What happens when it rains? In fact, how well does the stuff like the power cube hold up in wet weather? Will you have issues with mold and insects/burrowing creatures?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72455 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:52 am »

So they're building a house out of compressed clay? What happens when it rains? In fact, how well does the stuff like the power cube hold up in wet weather? Will you have issues with mold and insects/burrowing creatures?
When you compress clay down to those bricks they can withstand alot of rain. guys there was a thread made for this some weeks ago go find it as i think you will find a boatload of more info.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72456 on: February 25, 2012, 02:07:54 am »

Apparently TED picked up on this project too. Very exciting, very cool stuff!

I'm not convinced of some of their resource gathering machines though.  Not everywhere has access to iron or clay, so I'm not sure if they are going to have fall back ideas.
No machine can provide a resource when the building blocks just aren't available. That's what trade and other social institutions are for. This is just about proving that you can build sustainable civilizations with modern comforts and technologies, even in areas that have no infrastructure whatsoever... and sharing that with the world, much like we share open-source art and ideas. It's about thinking as a planet, instead of as countries and provinces. Sounds melodramatic, but it Really Is That Big.

Also, yeah, Compressed Earth is not unlike stone or concrete. If you're worried about how it holds up over time, take a look at this:
Spoiler: Image Time (click to show/hide)

This fortress in China is made of crudely compressed Earth, has been completely exposed to wind and weather, and has received no maintenance for 2000 years. If Genghis Khan's army rose from the dead and invaded the area today, the locals could still use it as a watchtower and fortification. Now, think of the condition of some of the oldest homes in your local area, made of wood, metal, concrete, and so on... and how they stand up after even 1% of that time, even while receiving maintenance.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72457 on: February 25, 2012, 02:11:11 am »

Most of the homes here weren't even built 20-30 years ago, and they're falling apart...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #72458 on: February 25, 2012, 02:21:10 am »

Apparently TED picked up on this project too. Very exciting, very cool stuff!

No machine can provide a resource when the building blocks just aren't available. That's what trade and other social institutions are for. This is just about proving that you can build sustainable civilizations with modern comforts and technologies, even in areas that have no infrastructure whatsoever... and sharing that with the world, much like we share open-source art and ideas. It's about thinking as a planet, instead of as countries and provinces. Sounds melodramatic, but it Really Is That Big.

Also, yeah, Compressed Earth is not unlike stone or concrete. If you're worried about how it holds up over time, take a look at this:
Spoiler: Image Time (click to show/hide)

This fortress in China is made of crudely compressed Earth, has been completely exposed to wind and weather, and has received no maintenance for 2000 years. If Genghis Khan's army rose from the dead and invaded the area today, the locals could still use it as a watchtower and fortification. Now, think of the condition of some of the oldest homes in your local area, made of wood, metal, concrete, and so on... and how they stand up after even 1% of that time, even while receiving maintenance.

Now imagine if you threw some steel supports and concrete into that compressed earth....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72459 on: February 25, 2012, 02:24:58 am »

I'm seeing it as being stronger, but even steel rusts sooner or later. Not as strong, but the entire structure is chemically innate.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72460 on: February 25, 2012, 02:26:57 am »

I read Kaiji. So much filler. I mean they spend like more than 3 volumes on one game of pachinko (it was really intense), all filled with really funny faces expressing surprise and amazements. UWOOOOOOOH?!

zawa
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72461 on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:15 am »

I think the point isn't to make a monument to stand the tests of time. Just a home. Steel'll rust, yeah, but if it's in a place with tropical hurricanes or floods, you need all the strength you can get.

I think one of those machines can make steel. Probably. Or will be able to eventually.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72462 on: February 25, 2012, 02:29:43 am »

You would benefit a lot more from being your homes low and flat than to spend time and effort making a steel works.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72463 on: February 25, 2012, 02:33:24 am »

The whole point is to give you the modern comforts, even in places with little-to-no infrastructure.

Steel is part of modern comforts.

So... Why not use it to strengthen your house?

It's the -machinery- for modern living, not the designs of homes and architecture plans. It gives people the tools, not a cookie-cutter design. Let 'em build however is best for their situation.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72464 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:58 am »

I thought the entire point was to get some basic industry up to scratch so what you could produce crops, clothing, shelter, and maybe have something to trade for medical supplies.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 4829 4830 [4831] 4832 4833 ... 13325