Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4796 4797 [4798] 4799 4800 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776769 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71955 on: February 19, 2012, 07:10:18 am »

I knew when I saw you had the most recent post that TvTropes was coming, but I didn't foresee OOTS...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71956 on: February 19, 2012, 07:11:04 am »

I do think that over the last couple of decades, elves in fantasy depictions have trended back more towards their original setting: capricious, amoral and very, very dangerous.

Something like Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies is much closer to the old Welsh and Irish myths of the fae than Tolkein's noble elves.
Dwarves, unfortunately....are still stubby Scotsmen.

EDIT: Drow are 'emo' elves. Period.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71957 on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:34 am »

You know what kind of elves I want to see?

Mundane elves.

The problem with elves is they're always "better." Even when they're worse, they're better. Plenty of settings make them evil, corrupted, morally ambiguous, and/or on the bottom of the social ladder, but they're always magical and mysterious regardless. I want to see the pointy ear douchebags be on the same level as everyone else.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:09:01 am by Darvi »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71959 on: February 19, 2012, 11:48:45 am »

You know what kind of elves I want to see?

Mundane elves.

The problem with elves is they're always "better." Even when they're worse, they're better. Plenty of settings make them evil, corrupted, morally ambiguous, and/or on the bottom of the social ladder, but they're always magical and mysterious regardless. I want to see the pointy ear douchebags be on the same level as everyone else.
Well, well, well. Here's a preview of what I'm doing with Elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, without any context, that's not a great example, so important things to note are that humans are able to pick any of the 9 ability scores in the game to gain a +1 bonus to instead of just 2, are larger (which improves both their ability to absorb and deal damage, plus their speed; the racial speed bonus an elf gets serves only to negate the size difference for that purpose), and gain a few miscellaneous abilities related to skills that make them automatically better at being a civilization, because everything a civilization does tends to be tied to skills (which fill a similar conceptual niche to skills in D&D, for the purposes of this post). Still needs a little balancing, in that humans probably need a slight boost, but I'll figure something out.

I'm definitely aiming for pointy eared pretentious douchebags who've got everyone else to buy into this myth about their superiority, including themselves. Ever read 8-Bit Theater? Like that, but less extreme. I'm considering writing an Elven Cloak item that costs 10 times as much as any other cloak, and is functionally identical. The Elves think they're generous selling them to other races at all. Anyway, how's that sounding compared to what you're looking for?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71960 on: February 19, 2012, 12:06:02 pm »

Went on a music binge looking through various video game composers works, and found myself charting Motoi Sakuraba's career as a musician and composer.

Apparently he got his start performing with various Japanese artists, in a number of genres. When he began composing for video games, he took his eclectic music experience, and experimented with the fledgeling medium in ways that hadn't been done before, blending synthesizer sounds and instruments into some simple, but really haunting melodies. Even his compositions for the SNES sound good in the classical sense, and make use of unusual time signatures and instrumentation.

Particularly in his later works he makes use of full orchestration, in songs spanning from the grandiose and epic to simple melodies evocative of moods or locations. On top of that, some of his piano arrangements are absolutely beautiful, and rank among classical pianists in regard to beauty and technical skill.

Sorry to gush like this, but I really feel like I've only just scratched the surface of the man's musical depth, and I've been listening to his works for hours now. His versatility, skill, and innovation are just amazing to me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71961 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:08 pm »

Oh yes, I have several star ocean 2 tracks on my playlist, and damn near the entirety of valkyrie profile 1. He does good stuff.

Always loved Incarnation of the Devil.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71962 on: February 19, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »

Currently simultaneously unthawing, marinating, and cooking some chicken breasts in a boiling pot of gravy.

So simple, and so good.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71963 on: February 19, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »

Currently simultaneously unthawing, marinating, and cooking some chicken breasts in a boiling pot of gravy.

That's a good way to get inedible chicken. Either the outside will be rubbery overdone and/or the inside will still be raw. Unless you're planning to do it over low heat for a few hours.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71964 on: February 19, 2012, 01:57:32 pm »

Okay, so further investigation on dice! I was able to determine that there is an answer to my question. I just have to allow a negligible penalty to your chance of scoring a critical hit if you roll extra dice. The answer in question, of course, just proves that there's no point in bothering, because the point at which the penalty meets my definition of "negligible" is a .1% lower chance of getting a critical hit, when you roll 88d10k3 to beat 29, versus rolling 87d10k3 to beat 28. That's so ludicrously large, and the gain in scaling so small, that I'm not even going to include it in the rules. This post probably doesn't make sense to anybody who hasn't been wracking their brains over this, but I don't care, having an answer makes me happy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71965 on: February 19, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »

woohoo...first real chance of snow all year tonight. And tomorrow's a Federal holiday, so if I decide to stay home it's not a problem.  :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71966 on: February 19, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »

Snow!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71967 on: February 19, 2012, 02:06:00 pm »

Snow!
IN MY ROOM!

Heheh. It's, how should I put it, pretty cool.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71968 on: February 19, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »

@Solifuge: You've got to listen to his stuff for Eternal Sonata, too.  It's great.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #71969 on: February 19, 2012, 03:10:17 pm »

One more day of work, one more day of work lalalalala

And even better: No Prospect Of a New Job Yet! :D
Which means.... More Time For ME! And no soulsucking crapjob! YAY!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 4796 4797 [4798] 4799 4800 ... 13325