Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4750 4751 [4752] 4753 4754 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15768828 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71265 on: February 12, 2012, 02:32:49 am »

My first time seeing snow was when I was 18 I went on a snowboarding trip, but got altitude sickness and was sick the whole time.  Then didn't see it again for another 2 years, when I was 20 I was engaged to this girl that was from up in the mountains, and we'd go every other month to visit her parents,  spent Christmas up there that year, and went snow sledding for the first time.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: [>))))] [>))))]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71266 on: February 12, 2012, 02:45:41 am »

I live in a place where it snows every year, sometimes several feet of the fluffy evil pant leg wetting stuff; it doesnt evaporate like rain does so it tends to stick around for a long time getting grey and brown, yeah it is fun but it melts in your hand making it wet and cold, and did I mention that it has no taste, just cold chewy and wet.
Oh, and found a classical station on my radio, so calming in the dark.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:48:11 am by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #71267 on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:34 am »

16 hour trip today, including 8 hours on a bus, 1 hour of combined stops, 1 hour where we toured the Raptor Club facility (hawks and whatnot), and 6 hours of grueling mathematical melee.

On the way to the competition, a few friends and I designed the entirety of our Thermodynamics device, and on Monday we'll be procuring supplies and beginning construction.

Once there, we began the Winter Games.

Slalom: Multiple choice (5 answers) +1 point for crossing out a wrong answer, -4 for crossing out the right one. 40 minutes for 140 questions.
Curling: Short answers to story questions. 40 questions, 40 minutes. 1 point per question.
Biathlon: 15 problems each worth 2 points, same difficulty as the previous. 5 questions worth 6 apiece, all based on probability, and hellish beyond reason. 20 minutes.
Speed Skating: Starts with the two Long Tracks, where there are 20 questions in each. Each question is read twice, and then the next is read. There is a 45 second break after each set of four. Then comes the Short Track, the most stressful math I have ever done. 40 questions. Each is read once. 25 second pauses between sets of four, plus two minutes at the very end to get caught up.

Did I mention that instead of the standard team of four, one member of my team decided to skip? Three people, four question sets. Also, no calculators. Only one piece of scratch paper on the Speed Skating. Final destination.

We did okay in Slalom, but screwed up by crossing out a few right answers. We placed third in Curling and the Biathlon and fourth in Speed Skating. Being the only 11th/12th grade team from our school that day, we didn't have to average with any other teams from our school, leading us to a 4th place overall finish. The trophies were just strings of beads with labels, but it was nice all in all.

On the way back we stopped by the Raptor Club at the behest of our coach's daughter, who works there. Met a friendly Golden Eagle named Amicus that was born without eyes. Seeing him break the neck of the dead goat the handlers fed him was a bit terrifying, but it was cool to see such a powerful creature up close. According to his main handler, he has enough power in his claws to break every bone in your hand, regardless of how strong a falconer's gauntlet you where. He's one of very few that have lived in captivity for a significant length of time without harming anyone.

A pretty good day, but fuck I'm tired. I missed the Occupy rally, but the STOCK act was passed. (Though it really could have been better, Eric Cantor!)

My first time seeing snow...
It was snowing outside the hospital when I was born, and from what I've seen of the room, there's no way I could have missed it if my eyes were open. Big window in there. I've always lived with snowy winters, but next year I'm off to college on the wet side of the state, where it drizzles instead. Not looking forward to it really, I like snow.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: [>))))] [>))))]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71268 on: February 12, 2012, 03:31:11 am »

I make a snowman every year, this year he got murdered and his head was stolen. I was too cold to fast to make his car due to losing my shovel; last year he had a viper that my sister crashed into.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71270 on: February 12, 2012, 04:58:21 am »

Bacon lasagne. I'm happy because there's bacon in my lasagne.

Your life brings tears of joy to my eyes, Although that could be the fever :).

Also DAMN IT I just managed to maybe escape TVTropes!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71271 on: February 12, 2012, 05:33:33 am »

Regardless, I feel obliged to live up to my namesake... Or at least internet namesake! It is a travesty to have the title White and never have seen snow. I bring great dishoner to my clan.
You mean you really really want that vacation to New Zealand?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71273 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36:33 am »

The rugby team maybe, but New Zealand has got ski slopes ;)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71274 on: February 12, 2012, 05:40:49 am »

Ah, I see... Well maybe, I hear it is beautiful country.
So many places to go, yet so little time, and even less money. Thank god we aren't yet in an age of interplanetary tourism, or I would never see it all.  :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71275 on: February 12, 2012, 06:09:13 am »

Yeah, NZ was where I saw snow for the first (and only) time!
Was having a big family reunion and thus my flight over there was paid for, so that was pretty cool. On the downside, however, I only threw a couple of snowballs, and I discovered in quick succession that snow is maybe the only situation where Converse shoes are not appropriate, that snowblindness is not fun, it's best to wear gloves when picking up snow, and that people with unintelligible Kiwi accents are often employed on the chairlift. :-\
Seriously, we nearly ended up... I dunno, either getting stuck or falling down the side of the mountain because this guy was babbling at us as the chairlift reached the top. He got quite annoyed at us, and shouted something like: "What's the metter, don't you speak english?"
It was pretty funny, and I still enjoyed seeing snow. I still need to realize my childhood dream of learning to snowboard, however...:P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #71276 on: February 12, 2012, 06:18:02 am »

Regardless, I feel obliged to live up to my namesake... Or at least internet namesake! It is a travesty to have the title White and never have seen snow. I bring great dishoner to my clan.

Snow isn't that great really, I looked out of window and saw many patches of yellow that our dog leaves on it.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71277 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:52 am »

Max, the year is 2006 and I'm on a school trip to Canberra. It begins to snow when we visit the space museum. I engage in my first and only snowball fight with my friends and peers. On the way back to the cabins we see a kangaroo coverered in snow standing beside the road. Good times.

I'll leave you with this heartwarming story of human compassion. Warning: Involves Jews and WW2.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71278 on: February 12, 2012, 07:35:40 am »

We had probably 4 or 5 really good snowfalls when I was a kid. Now one winter (mid-1980s), we had several inches of snow, followed a couple of days of above-freezing temps, followed by a second blast of Canadian Wrath cold air which froze all the melted snow into a concrete-hard slab of ice an inch thick, followed by another several inches of snow. And this was in North Carolina, mind you. So nobody had snowplows and salt trucks and shit. The only reason anyone from our neighborhood could go anywhere when it snowed was my grandfather's Oldsmobile Toronado, an old-school monster of a car that weighed 2 tons and had a 375hp engine, was so damn big that it just flattened down the snow and plowed a track along the roads for other people to drive on.

Even the Toronado couldn't hack it against the snow-ice-snow configuration. So, we spent the roughly 3 weeks out of school building bobsled tracks and whatnot, trying to play hockey (we had no idea what you were supposed to do, other than whack at a ball with a bent stick. On ice.), and generally going "WHEEEEEEEEE" as we slid everywhere.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71279 on: February 12, 2012, 08:01:37 am »

Oh hey I can subscribe to YT videos without an actual account. Nifty.
Pages: 1 ... 4750 4751 [4752] 4753 4754 ... 13325