Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4675 4676 [4677] 4678 4679 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746490 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #70140 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:50 pm »

I like how that had no effect on your rage meter.  Abobo is angry.   Angry mermaid sex.  Angry merbobo parenting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70141 on: January 28, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »

I don't... but... what even is this?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #70142 on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:28 pm »

I just saw an owl who was all or nearly all pure white. It either had spots maybe dirt on its back. It was hanging out in the neighbor's shed until they let their dog out and that scared it away. At least that dog finally had something to bark at instead of nothing.

It was very pretty. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70143 on: January 28, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »

I just talked to my birthmother for the first time. Words cannot describe how joyful I am right now.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70144 on: January 28, 2012, 05:17:43 pm »

Since the only free online versions of The Phantom of the Opera are all duplicates of a poor translation done way back when. I decided to check around our bookshelves to see if there was a copy in there. I saw Dracula, Moby Dick, some other things, a whole buttload of goosebumps books, and a set of ancient books that look like they were bound in nylon. Here I find "The Swiss Family Robinson", a second "Moby Dick", "The Lone Ranger", and finally the rightmost book on the shelf.

The rightmost book is faded purple, and has no markings on the book cover whatsoever, except for a golden stencil and some crayon scratchings among which the name "Liam" is written diagonally in one corner. Liam is my eldest brother. I'm guessing he wrote this as a child some time around 1990.

Anyway, I gently open the yellow pages of the book to be greeted by a blank page with scroll work depicting Winnie the Pooh. I turn the page to find the title "Now We Are Six" with my mother's name written at the top of the page.

Now there were three things wrong with the name written at the top of the page. Firstly, why was her name there instead of my brothers? Secondly, why was it her maiden name? Thirdly, why did it look suspiciously crooked?

So I turn the page again, and find a page with Pooh holding a sign saying "Catalogue Number [XX/XX/X]", and the writing:

This book was first published October 13th 1927
Reprinted forty times
Reprinted 1961

This damn thing is 50 years old, and belonged to both my mother as a child, and my eldest brother. If that ain't a family treasure, I don't know what is.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70145 on: January 28, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

Wow, nice find indeed, Pnx! :D
If we're discussing books, I've been reading Crime and Punishment. Gotta love the Vintage range books which are only $12.95, as opposed to around $30 for a newly-published one of the same length. :o And also, you gotta love it when a classic novel turns out to be a truly justified classic, just as enjoyable as any modern book.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70146 on: January 28, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »

Okay, all the propaganda for Notre Dame de Paris in here convinced me to download it. (Project Gutenberg->.mobi file->kindle reader on my phone FTW). I'll be reading it on my 50 min commute to the office every day.

Maybe we should start a Bay12 book club, with online vid meets? For realsies?

Both of these made me inordinately happy.

But Pnx, if you haven't read Moby Dick yet, that's another one of my favorites.  I also love the book "Pierre et Jean" (Pierre and Jean)... and "The School for Wives," a theater piece, is also completely brilliant.  Oh, and Candide, haha... and Cyrano... and The Plague by Camus.

Please don't feel overwhelmed--I just want to suggest a good range so that you'll be sure to find something fun.

Wow, nice find indeed, Pnx! :D
If we're discussing books, I've been reading Crime and Punishment. Gotta love the Vintage range books which are only $12.95, as opposed to around $30 for a newly-published one of the same length. :o And also, you gotta love it when a classic novel turns out to be a truly justified classic, just as enjoyable as any modern book.

Bah, not the Dover paperback edition?  In my high school, we got most of our reading material for advanced English courses for 1 or 2 bucks that way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70147 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »

Speaking of books, I discovered that quite a few of my favorite novels are not mentioned anywhere on TV-Tropes, or simply have a blank page. Not sure if that means that they are unknown gems or if they are horrible and I simply have bad taste.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70148 on: January 28, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »

Speaking of books, I discovered that quite a few of my favorite novels are not mentioned anywhere on TV-Tropes, or simply have a blank page. Not sure if that means that they are unknown gems or if they are horrible and I simply have bad taste.
There is no such thing as notability (Not linked because I don't feel like it). Make those pages if you want.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70149 on: January 28, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »

I guess I'll read Moby Dick then since that's a book I can get online for free, and I don't have to worry about translations... Although the damn thing is 135 chapters long. This might take a while.

EDIT: Circumambulate is a fun word.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:43:05 pm by Pnx »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70150 on: January 28, 2012, 05:44:20 pm »

I guess I'll read Moby Dick then since that's a book I can get online for free, and I don't have to worry about translations... Although the damn thing is 135 chapters long. This might take a while.

EDIT: Circumambulate is a fun word.

If you managed to get through Hunchback's church/Paris descriptions, you'll probably be fine with the whale tales.

Damn thing took me 5 months to read, but it was worth it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70151 on: January 28, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »

Bah, not the Dover paperback edition?  In my high school, we got most of our reading material for advanced English courses for 1 or 2 bucks that way.

I don't know... My usual bookshop is quite ridiculously expensive, but that's not a matter for the happy thread. :P I probably could have hunted down an even cheaper secondhand copy, but this one wasn't too bad, and it smells really nice.
I love the smell of books, new and old. I'll often be walking past the bookshop to go somewhere, and be drawn inside just by the scent of their new books. ...Nothing weird about that, right?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70152 on: January 28, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »

More about books: check the homepage of the Pirate Bay.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #70153 on: January 28, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »

Plant it.

I actually have a copy of 'Terminator 2' on Laserdisc; what should I do with it?

(Also 'Heathers', great movie)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70154 on: January 28, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »

My father just dropped a sustain pedal on my desk, now I can get back to trying to play this!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4675 4676 [4677] 4678 4679 ... 13325