Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4644 4645 [4646] 4647 4648 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15755138 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #69675 on: January 21, 2012, 07:49:23 pm »

Frankly, there's a lot more things to be sad about, which aren't listed here--so for now I'm just sitting around listening to sad music and reading poetry/manga.

I wish my friend had at least nodded or something, as it was the first time we saw each other in a month and a half.  When you're in an honors college course and students are taking up time asking stupid questions, arranged to make them look and feel good, and they're playing the ignoring game to keep from having to offer you the seat next to them when there's none left, it makes me really pissed off.  It matters because they're actively making the course worse, and it's clear that they are way more interested in their reputations than they are in mathematics.  Mathematics is not a tool to be held at arm's length.  It is a palace in which to dwell, and they're harshing my buzz.

I may be talking right now, but it's not making me feel any less lonely.  The more I study, the more my thoughts expand, the harder it becomes to say anything of worth to anyone without their turning away from me.  And there's always more to see, a herald of future solitude.

Anyway, I'd better shut up nowish, but I think I'm just going to sit around for now and hope I feel better in a couple of days.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69676 on: January 21, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »

The best part of Canada has come to my hometown! No, not the arctic air, but Tim Horton's!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69677 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »

DO THEY HAVE CANDY CANE DOUGHNUTS.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #69678 on: January 21, 2012, 08:47:21 pm »

The best part of Canada has come to my hometown! No, not the arctic air, but Tim Horton's!
Huzzah for Tim Horton's!

I have no idea how long the one near my house has been there.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69679 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »

Today has been a bit of a mixed day, but right now it feels like an awesome day.

I kept smelling strange smells that my dad claimed he couldn't smell (he has a very bad sense of smell). Like when I woke up to the smell of skunk, but when I came back a while later it was gone.
Then I smelt something putrid that made me gag, but the same happened with that one. What's a hallucination for smells? I think I might be having that.

Then it was time to get Chinese, my brother didn't want to go with me, saying, "[me] can do it, I always have to go." Which really had me petrified for a minute, because I'm terrified to go strange places alone. But my mother stepped in and said she'd go with me instead. Which was nice, we had a nice talk along the way.

Then we ate Chinese. We used a set of metal chopsticks my dad bought in China, it took me about five minutes to give up and go get a fork (I fail at chopsticks). Then the paper in my fortune cookie had no fortune on it! I checked another one to see if they weren't all that way but no! I have no destiny, I am untouched by the gods, go me!

Then I decided to shovel out all the snow that was heaped up around our cars, since I had actually forgotten to do it today. I really liked being outside in the winter at night.

Now Olive (our crazy little cat) has spontaneously walked up and started trying to eat my foot.

Today has been a good day for me I think.

And I guess I'm kind of lonely, in that "need to talk but can't communicate" sort of way, kind of like I end up hungry but can't force myself to eat enough right now.
I believe I've suggested this before, but seriously, have you considered chatting with someone online? I'd always be willing to talk, and there's plenty of other people here who would be willing to talk to you. I've always found talking by text much easier than talking face to face (or god forbid, by phone, anything but the phone).

If you didn't want to bother someone here, you could always boot up Omegle. Although you have to wade through a few spambots and trolls shouting LOL BLUE DONGS... Actually I've never like Omegle much, but sometimes it was nice to talk to an absolute stranger.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69680 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »

Chronicles of the Necromancer book series is surprisingly captivating. My schools basketball team won a local tournament and we all went apeshit at the game. Coldstone creamery has orgasmic ice cream. Importantly, I finally found a friend group I am just supremely comfortable with. We spent two hours just talking "nerd shit" that I would normally have to hide in social situations. They are cool with lying down on a trampoline at midnight and just stargazing and talking. The group is mixed gender, but it doesn't actually impact the dynamic. Platonic snuggling and piggy-back rides. It's like being five again, in a good way.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69681 on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »

Yeah Vector, pretty much anyone on this forum is happy to talk to you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69682 on: January 22, 2012, 12:45:38 am »

Yay just ran through the game on Curly's Story, and I enjoyed all the little differences to accommodate for Curly taking the role of protagonist. Meeting with Quote was fun, because he still wasn't allowed to talk, so Curly was doing all the talking for him, which led to some of the most awkward grammar I've ever seen. Quote does actually get a line of dialogue though, I know, I was shocked too.

I'm surprised at how much better I've gotten at the game, seeing as how I died exactly three times, and all three of those times were fail falls trying to do the tricky ass jump to Mr. Little's house. I didn't even die in the Sacred Grounds, not once, did it on my first try like a boss. I was disappointed though to find the ending credits art is left completely unchanged, with only the very minor difference of instead of having Quote doing the walking montage, it's Curly.

I was very tickled though to find that when you go into the secret compartment to find Curly's Panties, I was expecting to find something like Quote's boxers or something to replace it, but nope, you find the appropriately named "Your Panties", and Curly does not give a shit that this item was hidden in Quote's house.

I might try to get my livestream up and running again to do a quick playthrough of the game. I think that'd be fun to do, even if it's really low quality.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69683 on: January 22, 2012, 01:20:45 am »

For what it's worth, Vector, (and it's probably not much) you don't remind me much of Rorschach. If anyone, your closest analogue in my mind is more Nite Owl-y, but honestly nobody I've actually encountered is a good fit for any of the Watchmen characters. They're all too archetypical to really fit, even if they are well-excuted and detailed archetypes by and large. Haven't met you in person but still. Good luck with the stuff that is actually relevant, though.

Also, Pnx, Chinese Food is delicious. Ye have chosen wisely. Also, being a blind spot in the vision of fate has got to be pretty awesome. Start mocking some deities, that's what you've gotta do.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69684 on: January 22, 2012, 01:24:38 am »

It's mostly because I used to be extremely thin, short, sexually repressed (though no, I didn't quite go into the same whores whores whores speeches), taciturn, and aggressive (along with the weird speech pattern I end up with when I've been isolated for a while), and would go out into 4 degree C weather wearing nothing but a tank top and short-shorts.  And used to give my favorite meal as "plain beans and rice."

But hey, it's mostly not fitting right now, which is kinda nice, I guess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69685 on: January 22, 2012, 01:41:45 am »

Ah, okay, that explains it. The defining aspects of the characters for me have become the philosophical approaches they symbolize and their personality traits and character development arcs, really, though admittedly that's different from when I first read it (that was a change that didn't happen until lots of reflection). You may be taciturn and aggressive, but you don't seem quite violent enough for Rorschach territory, nor do you seem really fanatical about your morality, if you see what I mean. And the effort you put into communicating with people and generally trying to show some degree of respect (even if you're not always successful, the point is that you try) fits a lot better with Nite Owl's insecurities and attempts to blend into society than it does with Rorschach's deliberate disregard for anyone besides the couple of people he genuinely cares about.

Blah, though really, it's not a great fit no matter what. And heck, I doubt there's much merit in trying to analyze you into a box defined by some fictional character. Not exactly meaningful, and it's not really fair to a person to try and categorize her like that. Hopefully you don't mind the extent to which I've done that in this post, but it's more about who in Watchmen you don't seem to be, than it is about who you are. To the extent that I'm qualified to make such claims, anyway. Oh gog I'm going into disclaimer mode hitting post now before I can mangle this any further
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69686 on: January 22, 2012, 01:58:43 am »

Yeah, I'm mostly talking about how there are certain movies/shows I don't like watching with other people because there's way too many meaningful glances pointed in my direction for behaviors they feel are weird.  Ideologically and personality-wise, I'm nothing like Rorschach.  I'm nothing like L or Sherlock Holmes or Sheldon or Vegeta at anything but superficial levels either, but they're also characters that I've learned from hard experience it's just a bad idea to mention in any context--just because I've got a lot of weird habits and (when left to my own devices) am short, foul-tempered, and make a lot of inferences that others find surprising (because I'd rather know at a glance than have to ask about it).  However, the person I am under my grouchy exterior has slowly surprised friends and family as it was revealed--because they did really think I was a completely detached, arrogant, violent, icy, snarly bastard who, if capable of empathy, never showed it.

Really, it's not that big of a deal.  Things are different now... just making a point about movies, not anything important.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69687 on: January 22, 2012, 02:00:09 am »

The music class I mentioned in the sad thread is looking up now. Out of a 51 question quiz, I managed to get 50 right. Not bad, though if it weren't open book I'd be screwed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69688 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23:14 am »

Also, D&D shenanigans make me happy. Gonna be running a short game tomorrow, and, well, I like to think I'm being a bit of a dick since it's a one-shot and so I don't actually have to care if everyone survives the end. He he he, dragons. I love your challenge ratings. They're not accurate, in case that wasn't clear.

EDIT: Oh man 3 bite attacks this is great I remember why I love this game now

Wait. A player just asked for a Sphere of Annihilation to be included. It's like they want to die.

Best 4 words ever. "Sentient Sphere of Annihilation". Oh, wait, there's a little more, too. "Special Purpose: Hugs for everyone in the world."

It will be incredibly depressed. "EVERYTHING I TOUCH DIES"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:33:14 am by Bauglir »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69689 on: January 22, 2012, 04:03:02 am »

Remember Vermin Supreme?

He made a song.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 4644 4645 [4646] 4647 4648 ... 13325