Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4576 4577 [4578] 4579 4580 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778764 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #68655 on: January 03, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

It's kind of weird because my family used to have what sounds like a Tennessee accent, saying things like "warsh" instead of "wash" and "often" instead of often, plus all the minor vowel bends and accent shifts from "standard" English (to be specific: a lower class Tennessee accent, because my roommate the first year of college was from there and had a much, much lighter accent than we used to), but the minute one of them went off to college in a fancy town, he brought back an entire different accent with him and taught the bulk of it to everyone else.

If you ever take a class on interpersonal communication there are a lot of intricacies in place there. We primarily gain our accent from our peers in school, but the moment we get angry or flustered we take on the accent of our parents. I think stuttering also causes you to default to the accent you learned by listening to your family.

I have a fairly strong Murln(Maryland) accent, but after my dog died the stuttering was all in this weird Portuguese accent. I could even roll my r's where I normally could not.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #68656 on: January 03, 2012, 05:20:51 pm »

Everyone tells me I have a British accent. Or otherwise. Last time someone mentioned it, my daughter was comparing it to Raritys accent.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68657 on: January 03, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »

Hmm, I might consider taking such a class.

I've been known to start rhyming and alliterating when I get really spectacularly angry, though.  Just kind of happens, and I don't know why.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68658 on: January 03, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »

I've been known to start rhyming and alliterating when I get really spectacularly angry, though.  Just kind of happens, and I don't know why.
jesus christ you start battle-rapping at people

That's amazing
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #68659 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24:06 pm »

jesus christ you start battle-rapping at people

That's amazing
Looking at it that way suddenly makes what Vector said seem incredibly awesome.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68660 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »

Reminds me of that time I got stuck speaking in Seuss-style rhymes for most of a day.

That was actually a fairly good day, except for the creation of Old Man Joe*.

E: In all honesty, it seems to be something that comes out from reading a lot, I think. I've seen the behavior more than once in folks that pleasure read extensively. When you play with language, some of the patterns seem to stick occasionally.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:27:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68661 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »

Now I'm just trying to work out if people around me tend to say often or not.  I think they do.  The one I can't get my head around is "hour" - I'm pretty sure I switch between the one syllable and two syllable alternatives of it based on where it is in a sentence.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #68662 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »

I say "offen."  I say "comfterble" if I'm not paying attention.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68663 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »

I'm afraid my "wash" comes out as almost "waw-ish".  I do kinda have to keep a hold on my voice or I start drawling and slurring pretty badly.  Then again, I have a bad habit of adopting the accent of anyone I'm talking to, even completely non-English accents.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68664 on: January 03, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

I don't speak at all.

I mumble.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68665 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »

My local accent has an exceptionally annoying one if you realize it: a glottal stop that replaces the t sound in the middle of words.

As such, for "cotton," I'll say "caw - uhn" instead of "cot - ton." The t becomes completely silent in favor of a short plugging of the vocal cords.

I've been working on eliminating it but I don't always notice.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #68666 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:53 pm »

I don't really think I have a much of an accent, at least one that I haven't noticed yet. But whenever I start talking about something I'm interested in I talk so fast I mispronounce a lot of words :P

I don't speak at all.

I mumble.
Also this.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68667 on: January 03, 2012, 05:38:44 pm »

Then again, I have a bad habit of adopting the accent of anyone I'm talking to, even completely non-English accents.

Ditto. I always worry that they'll think I'm making fun of them when I catch myself doing this, though.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68668 on: January 03, 2012, 05:45:23 pm »

My local accent has an exceptionally annoying one if you realize it: a glottal stop that replaces the t sound in the middle of words.

As such, for "cotton," I'll say "caw - uhn" instead of "cot - ton." The t becomes completely silent in favor of a short plugging of the vocal cords.

I've been working on eliminating it but I don't always notice.

Man, I'm like "Cot'n" or "kah-n". If I'm not careful, I'll say "Cawt'n". My southern accent is very heavy. I have to deliberately prevent myself from doing it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68669 on: January 03, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »

I don't really think I have a much of an accent, at least one that I haven't noticed yet. But whenever I start talking about something I'm interested in I talk so fast I mispronounce a lot of words :P

I don't speak at all.

I mumble.
Also this.

Quick! Say Minnesota! Without thinking!
Pages: 1 ... 4576 4577 [4578] 4579 4580 ... 13325