Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4475 4476 [4477] 4478 4479 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15744023 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67140 on: December 03, 2011, 01:07:29 am »

Western religion, on the other hand, tended to make people hate themselves and want to kill each other.

Maybe I'm full of shit

On this idea, yes. Good job on keeping this rare though.

I think the issue you are looking more at here is it being a lot more political. A lot of institutions needed to meddle just to stay alive.

I don't know enough about eastern history to know how their spiritual customs formed and how it compares. Western history is enough of a misunderstood mess as it is.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67141 on: December 03, 2011, 01:09:04 am »

The people administering Western religion back then are what made people hate themselves and want to kill each other. 
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #67142 on: December 03, 2011, 01:31:50 am »

Every guard used to be an adventurer like you, but then they all took an arrow in the knee. Heh, overly specific backstory which happens to be shared between every guard in Skyrim.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:33:21 am by alway »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67143 on: December 03, 2011, 02:14:54 am »

Checking out this new Starcon 2(.5) mod with the High-Resolution addon as well. Graphics look epic, planets and other satelites are orbiting as you fly around in truespace, the effects in the game got a pretty cool graphics upgrade as well, along with the ships already in the game (and melee captain screens), including talking with the commanders; also I can tell what kinds of planets are in a system now (provided I recognize the common layout of them) before going into orbit. My memory worries me; it's too accurate, recognized just about every type before orbit and scan. Got a few new ships added to the roster as well. However, it's a shame that I can't customize my explorer like the old precursor ship.

I like that it's gotten a few nice touchups here and there, and it's odd seeing Earthling Cruisers and other Alliance ships orbiting systems now. Too many friendlies.

Nice to see some classic-style humor and continuity (still got most of the badass stuff from since the end (max-lander upgrades at the start)) is maintained throughout this mod so far. My favorite quote so far came from Commander Hayes.

Quote from: I asked about how the Zoq-Fot-Pik are doing since the events of SC2, Hayes responds with:
The Zoq-Fot-Pik gave us Frungy.
We gave them vuvuzelas.
That about sums it up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:18:11 am by Itnetlolor »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #67144 on: December 03, 2011, 02:47:04 am »

Every guard used to be an adventurer like you, but then they all took an arrow in the knee. Heh, overly specific backstory which happens to be shared between every guard in Skyrim.
The Nords really have to learn on how to make better knee armor.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67146 on: December 03, 2011, 07:40:28 am »

Western knight: Guy who swordfights from inside a tin can.
Samurai: Guy who swordfights in his pajamas.

You tell me who's more badass.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67147 on: December 03, 2011, 07:42:21 am »

See, people can be nice, it's just very very very unilikely for you to run into one of those people that are nice :(

I want no frownie faces. That is a beautiful story. I aspire to be as nice as that.

In other news, I'm having alot of fun matching against people online in DotP. Such a fun game, and I'm doing pretty decent with how often I'm winning.

Apparently, I can communicate over Mic, which I want to, but I'm suddenly overcome with bashfulness and I'm not sure if my poor built-in mic and shoddy connection aren't making me sound muddled and irritating. Good thing there's a text chat feature.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67148 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:00 am »

Samurais had armour as well. Just as good armour, more or less, as western knights.

I read this essay once, made by thearma. It compared the western knight to the samurai in a hypothetical "Who would win in a fight" situation. In conclusion, they're both pretty much identical in every way. Their weapon arsenals are both incredibly fatal, but superficially similar in design. Both types of armour can shrug off all but specific armour-piercing weapons or angles. They both have a lifetime of martial arts training, as well as rigerous fitness and mental health training. They will both rather die than lose (the samurai for honour, the knight for god).

In the end, the only difference between the two is that, surprisingly, no one in Japan ever thought of inventing the shield. Ever. So they'd have no idea how fight against it. So the knight would win, assuming he uses a shield.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67149 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:35 am »

Samurais had armour as well. Just as good armour, more or less, as western knights.

I read this essay once, made by thearma. It compared the western knight to the samurai in a hypothetical "Who would win in a fight" situation. In conclusion, they're both pretty much identical in every way. Their weapon arsenals are both incredibly fatal, but superficially similar in design. Both types of armour can shrug off all but specific armour-piercing weapons or angles. They both have a lifetime of martial arts training, as well as rigerous fitness and mental health training. They will both rather die than lose (the samurai for honour, the knight for god).

In the end, the only difference between the two is that, surprisingly, no one in Japan ever thought of inventing the shield. Ever. So they'd have no idea how fight against it. So the knight would win, assuming he uses a shield.

Yeah right! Everyone knows that Samurai get attack bonuses against other civilization's special units.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67150 on: December 03, 2011, 08:19:04 am »

One difference is that Samurai had shitty swords.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67151 on: December 03, 2011, 08:45:49 am »

The only cool thing about samurais was the whole draw-attack move thing. Makes for excellent drama, like "Wild West" duels.

Of course, one of the many reasons people think medieval European knights is boring is how they are usually depicted in media, which tends to make them very dull, and either Knights In Shining Armour and Good Guys extraordinaire, or just dumb, simpleminded brutes who like to fight. They did, of course, as the warrior-caste they were, but the true battles of then-time Europe were not fought on blood-soaked fields but in the halls of their castles and holds. Intriguing was the main weapon of a medieval knight, due to the strict codes and laws they had to follow, they just viewed war and battle as a natural extension of said intriguing.

Not really. Even in that article they have to pull back the knight a couple of hundred years from what is usually pictured when one says "Medieval knight" for them to be evenly matched.

They will both rather die than lose (the samurai for honour, the knight for god).

The average knight would hold is honour and duty to his family in much higher regard than that God the priests kept rambling on about. In that aspect they certainly wasn't very different.

mental health training

Hehe, by which they mean "indoctrination from birth into a being a sociopath" ;D.

See, people can be nice, it's just very very very unilikely for you to run into one of those people that are nice :(

I want no frownie faces. That is a beautiful story. I aspire to be as nice as that.

This. So much this.
Love, scriver~

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67152 on: December 03, 2011, 09:20:42 am »

Where did you find the mod, Itnetlolor?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67153 on: December 03, 2011, 10:04:54 am »

Yeah, but they didn't walk around in o-yoroi all the time. (Of course, knights didn't walk around in plate mail all the time, but that's certainly the impression you get from media depictions.)

Yeah, the omission of the shield seems a bit odd, especially given the more prominent role of archery in Japanese warfare. May have been a class/honour thing along the lines of "only a coward would hide behind a shield". On the other hand, the samurai learned archery while Western knights did not, because archery was seen as a "peasant" fighting skill until the introduction of the longbow, and even then was seen as a "lesser" form of fighting, if only because if required far less gear. Part of the class stricture of knighthood was that it was expensive to be a knight.

Either way, the mounted archer pwned both of them as long as they didn't bogged down in bad terrain. Central Asia FTW.

You know what's even more bad ass? A katana made out of Aztec obsidian. I heard it could cut through a tank made of diamond.  :P
In all seriousness though, obsidian is hella sharp. We had to learn how to knapp flint and obsidian in my archaeology classes.
Flint: Spend half a day whacking rocks together to get one decently sharp chunk of rock the size of your hand.
Obsidian: One whack, and every fragment you pick up can be used for something. If you don't accidentally cut your self picking it up. The problem is getting it tooled to the size and shape you want without just splintering it into a million pieces.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:09:42 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67154 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:14 am »

3:00 PM - Let's go play some Terraria!
12:00 AM- Huh shit when did it become 12

9 hours straight of Terraria. Oh maaaan I didn't even kill the eye yet
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 4475 4476 [4477] 4478 4479 ... 13325