Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4371 4372 [4373] 4374 4375 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15755749 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things cirno was shot out of today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #65580 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »

We're doing VLSM and RIPv2.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65581 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:00 pm »

according to This thing, I live in the 1%
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65582 on: November 03, 2011, 09:00:14 pm »

Straight up YES! I dominated in tonight's games of League Texas Hold'em! This places me at 72 League Points, securing me an insurmountable position on the scoreboard! I'm going to win the big prize, the grand prize for my 8 weeks of playing, a 50 dollar poker set!

It's not the biggest prize in the world, but I won it fair and square! I got it by winning! It will be my prized trophy!

I'm so happy that in the three games I played tonight, I placed 2nd in the first, and then took 1st on the last two. I went heads up with the same person in the last two games, and he made the same mistakes that led to his downfall in both. Very good games, I'm so happy tonight.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #65583 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »

Just watched the new episodes Person of Interest with my mom, and despite being a new show and everything, and my first time watching it, I solved the case in the first 5-10 minutes. Maybe I read too much TVTropes, or I would do well in mob games or something.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also played a bit of Arma-II finally, and am getting the hang of the game. In one challenge, I had to steal a tank. not only did I do it, I also shot down a helicopter with my rifle on the way and shot the pilots like they were clay pigeons upon ejection, and used the tank to shoot down the other chopper. Damn, I'm a good shot sometimes.

I'm apparently in the 49% (according to link).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:24:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65584 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

I never realized how dark FF6 was until now, somehow. Espers are basically Dwarf Fortress mermaids.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65585 on: November 03, 2011, 09:55:36 pm »

I never realized how dark FF6 was until now, somehow. Espers are basically Dwarf Fortress mermaids.

Except not chained up and forced to breed for massive profit.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65586 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:31 pm »

We're doing VLSM and RIPv2.
But you need to know VLSM to even make it through Cisco 1...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65587 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:51 pm »

Except not chained up and forced to breed for massive profit.

Only because the Empire couldn't figure out how they reproduce.  The other difference being that mermaids can't cause nuclear explosions with their minds.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65588 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:00 pm »

Really?... I think it's the darkest of all the FF games. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65589 on: November 03, 2011, 10:03:32 pm »

That's sorta like FF7.

Although more than one of those aspects were unintentional.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65590 on: November 03, 2011, 10:15:36 pm »

It is, I admit.  The major differences in my opinion being that FF6 manages to do it with much less cliched and wangsty characters, a more cohesive setting, a more cohesive plot, and more flexible/open-ended gameplay.  Materia is even a direct copy of the magicite concept, but dumbed down.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65591 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:21 pm »

I wouldn't say dumbed down, just different in approach. Less personal, which sorta works out for the message. Even the player doesn't feel emotion towards these spirits enslaved in eternal servitude. It's more interesting of a moral message, even if it doesn't impact the player as much.

I'll agree that it doesn't handle many aspects as well, but they hold together well enough on their own. If you get meta enough about it all the unintentional junk suddenly become brilliant.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #65592 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:11 pm »

Okay, I don't know how I did it, but with a regular rifle (non-sniper), I managed to take down a helicopter from 250m-500m away. Holy crap!

I wasn't certain at first until I saw a big explosion in the distance moments later. Of course, this was a random skirmish, but holy crap! Mind you, nobody else in my squad was firing or anything either, and they have sniper rifles and long range missile launchers. I took out a chopper with a standard rifle in Arma II: OA. Spent no more than 6 rounds/shots on it. Albeit crosshair-assisted, but still; I would imagine nobody saw that coming.

I was a bit frustrated with how to respond to HQ about accepting a mission (forgot the right command to use (bad intel occurs)), so I shot down a random NPC chopper flying by. Bagged me a big one.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:08:14 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65593 on: November 03, 2011, 11:28:18 pm »

It is, I admit.  The major differences in my opinion being that FF6 manages to do it with much less cliched and wangsty characters, a more cohesive setting, a more cohesive plot, and more flexible/open-ended gameplay.  Materia is even a direct copy of the magicite concept, but dumbed down.

I would actually say the major difference is that FF7 wraps up with a basically happy ending, while FF6 leaves the world broken and robbed of magic, the one thing that could potentially have reversed the damage Kefka caused within the lifespan of anyone present at the ending. The only reason there's even a chance for a happy ending is that humanity had gotten used to life without magic anyway, but that was in a pre-apocalyptic world. The only lasting damage in FF7 is the deaths caused by the antagonists (and even then it was mostly Midgar that got shafted every time). Disregarding the sequels for the sake of this argument, obviously.

I don't think Materia was a dumbed down version of Magicite - if anything, it was more complicated, what with all the different types, the equipment interactions, and so forth. The major simplification in gameplay, really, was the lack of special abilities for the characters.

Anyway, I do agree that FF6 is among the darker ones, for all the reasons you listed. It's just something I'd never realized before - I had gotten acclimatized to the game before I even knew what a dark story was. That's what I meant by the "somehow".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65594 on: November 03, 2011, 11:31:21 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4371 4372 [4373] 4374 4375 ... 13325