Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4317 4318 [4319] 4320 4321 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15765390 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: [~~~] Things tildes made you do today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #64770 on: October 21, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »

IN THE GRIMDARK WORLD OF SUN TZU, ALL IS WAR AND THE LAUGHTER OF THIRSTING GENERALS.

It's a pretty good book, though. The copy I found cites examples of the book's tenets being used in more modern battles and other historical ones. I blew through about half of it during lunch today, forgetting to eat entirely. Luckily I don't have a 5th period class, or I would have had to wait until after school to eat my sandwich.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64771 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:23 pm »

Luckily I don't have a 5th period class, or I would have had to wait until after school to eat my sandwich.
Teachers at your school actually care about you eating in class?

The only teachers here who care are the ones teaching classes in a computer room.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #64772 on: October 22, 2011, 12:01:52 am »

Eh, no. I do, though. I don't want to either endanger myself* or waste the time that I could be using to learn.

*Applicable only in Electronics. Usually I'm pretty safe with bread.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #64773 on: October 22, 2011, 12:02:37 am »

Had fun with an exploit I came across in Amnesia, resulting in me beating the ever-loving crap out of a horrorterror with barrels, boxes, and sandbags (and yes, they can act as "Solid Snake" invisibility shield boxes (no SAN loss or provocation of the HTs, and you're somehow invisible to them as well, and they ignore you (provided you don't accidentally hit it on the floor (making noise) or make contact with them), as well as stuns them on contact when thrown). My dude didn't even lose sanity in the process either (I was looking at it face-to-face within arm's reach).

It was fun until the HT figured I was no longer worth it's time, shrugged, and walked out of the room, and didn't return. I was actually hunting it down, and couldn't find him. I think I hurt it's feelings.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it in hindsight, I really don't belong in horror campaigns at all. I either have too much balls, or am completely ignorant of the entire thing or situation. Where others are in fear or panic, I try to figure out how I can exploit it. Like, if my town were to be wiped out by a tidal wave at all, while everyone's in a panic, you'll see me with a surfboard. Or so my doom-poilicy goes: I prefer my death to either be quick or fun and definitely worth the pain. I mean, I want a death I can brag about in the afterlife. That's my view on the matter. Now plop me into a horror campaign with this mindset, and it'll suddenly turn into a dark comedy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:14:02 am by Itnetlolor »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64774 on: October 22, 2011, 12:45:47 am »

or waste the time that I could be using to learn.
Hah, my history teacher who marks you down for not having an opening and closing paragraph on your first person essay*(???) kind of killed my drive for anything outside of passing.

*Neither I nor any of my other, equally nerdy friends got marks for this. Were you asking for an OOC intro and exit? Did you explain anything about your grading system to us? Meh, he's a history teacher who's response to people protesting injustice is that they should ignore it and get back to work, so I don't see why I should really give a fuck.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64775 on: October 22, 2011, 01:20:07 am »

I can't stop listening to this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDngUO8pEg
SWAG
Thank you based dwarf.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64776 on: October 22, 2011, 02:17:39 am »

Well, I'm very tired but I'm home safe from the party.  Saw a doe as I walked home.

I have to say, this guy is adding to the "wow, I'm not sure I like this too much" mambo.  The first thing we did was watch a slideshow he'd compiled of pictures from the first 21 years of his life.

Oh, and I got pressured to drink--I said "I don't drink" and the guy I was talking to said: "Well, take a sip for M______'s birthday."  I had to say, quite a few times, "No, I don't drink" for it to get through, and then various people wanted to know why.  Feh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64777 on: October 22, 2011, 02:28:24 am »

Oh, and I got pressured to drink--I said "I don't drink" and the guy I was talking to said: "Well, take a sip for M______'s birthday."  I had to say, quite a few times, "No, I don't drink" for it to get through, and then various people wanted to know why.  Feh.

You'll get that every single time you're around other people who are drinking.  If you actually do take a sip, they'll celebrate as if you just personally handed every one of them $20.  I've never understood why drinkers find non-drinkers so disturbing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #64778 on: October 22, 2011, 02:29:51 am »

Well, I'm very tired but I'm home safe from the party.  Saw a doe as I walked home.

I have to say, this guy is adding to the "wow, I'm not sure I like this too much" mambo.  The first thing we did was watch a slideshow he'd compiled of pictures from the first 21 years of his life.

I can see trying to get someone to participate in a toast,but taking it anywhere beyond that is more'n a little rude.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64779 on: October 22, 2011, 02:34:00 am »

I've never understood why drinkers find non-drinkers so disturbing.
It's a common thing for pretty much every group that has something they enjoy. To spurn a thing they enjoy is like attacking them. It's a weird human quirk. Don't let it get you down too much.

(Yes Salmon I already know you are different from everyone else when it comes to social situations, your personal testimony is clearly a thing that refutes my own experiences.)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64780 on: October 22, 2011, 02:34:57 am »

Saw a doe as I walked home.

Not fair. I lived in Berkeley for over two years and haven't seen a single one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64781 on: October 22, 2011, 02:42:35 am »

It's a common thing for pretty much every group that has something they enjoy. To spurn a thing they enjoy is like attacking them. It's a weird human quirk. Don't let it get you down too much.

Yeah well when I'm a college professor I'll be able to make EVERYONE read Dragonball!!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64782 on: October 22, 2011, 02:44:53 am »

I've never understood why drinkers find non-drinkers so disturbing.

Honestly, I think it's more like they expect the teetotaler will be a big stick in the mud and try to convince everyone else to not drink.  Well I never, and so forth.  I have never once seen this happen, but that's what's expected.

Of course, I'm a drinker myself, so what do I know.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64783 on: October 22, 2011, 02:50:46 am »

Yeah well when I'm a college professor I'll be able to make EVERYONE read Dragonball!!
That's the spirit. Start fights with the English professors over this.

The silver lining is that the more that people are aware of your nature the cooler they generally are with it. Just be a cool friend who is enjoyable to be around and they gradually stop caring.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64784 on: October 22, 2011, 02:56:26 am »

(Yes Salmon I already know you are different from everyone else when it comes to social situations, your personal testimony is clearly a thing that refutes my own experiences.)

I'll admit to reacting something like this when it comes to some things, like game design or favorite movies or music or the like.  It's easier for me to understand how personal values are connected to those things, and how disagreement can feel like an affront to those values or simply a divide with someone you want to connect with. 

Food and drink, on the other hand, are physical sensations you either like or you don't. 

Alcohol... I get the whole 'social lubrication' theory... I can understand why people would see something in the act of getting chemically stupified together... sort of... but damn can people get insensitive about it. 

It's not like "You don't like ___ band? Really??? Have you tried ___ song??" which might be annoying to a person at worst but is otherwise totally harmless banter.  Plus, people typically react with mere disappointment if they fail to convert someone to liking something.

Compare with "You've never drugged yourself into a stupor?  Seriously?  Hey everybody!  This person has never fucked themselves up!  *gasps of disbelief from everyone*"  leads directly into social pressure to get a person to directly betray their own values.  If they fail, they tend to get genuinely offended, rather than just disappointed.

So I kind of get it, but it still bugs me.  It's a social pet peeve of mine.

The silver lining is that the more that people are aware of your nature the cooler they generally are with it. Just be a cool friend who is enjoyable to be around and they gradually stop caring.

At least this is generally true.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 4317 4318 [4319] 4320 4321 ... 13325