Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4306 4307 [4308] 4309 4310 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15773737 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: [~~~] Things tildes made you do today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #64605 on: October 19, 2011, 10:44:36 pm »

FF6 is cemented in my memory as a truly awesome RPG game. Among the best I've played, and I've played alot of the Final Fantasy games too. The only other game that can compare in awesomeness is Chrono Trigger.

Anyway, 6 was just very well made overall. Awesome setting, the many magic spells (and how they were rendered, as well as learned by everyone eventually, and it's overall system), story, airships, graphics, and oh so many characters to use; and we obviously can't forget about the epic music. And all on a Super Nintendo too. Even with these future generation machines, they're having a hard time to reach such caliber of epicness.

EDIT:
Yes, In fact, FF6's use of Magitek inspired me to come up with all kinds of ideas to implement to my own melting pot universe utilizing it (or even come up with a science behind magic that doesn't deny it's existence, but makes it even more awesome, yet practical). I even made a character carry around a magic shotgun which had revolver implements (the revolver had different magic runes on them that enchanted the bullets/slugs/pellet-shot/darts into some of the nastier spells the caster knew. In a sense, it also had some magicka elements included in it. So naturally, and arcane or lightning enchantment turned this weapon essentially into a sniper shotgun that also shot railgun slugs coated in ice and fire simultaneously.

Oh and Kefka? ...Yeesh, nobody can beat his mastery of the villain role. He also comes with a badass theme too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:03:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64606 on: October 19, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »

The whole magitek steampunkish environment and art style was amazing.  I loved the characters, but I looooooved the setting.  I'd want any excuse at all to return to that place.  Most innovative and especially most cohesive setting the FF series has created.

And The Fierce Battle is my favorite fight music ever.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #64607 on: October 19, 2011, 10:52:24 pm »

Aw how can you forget to mention Kefka?  :3  A friend of mine said (this could easily be heresay of course) that Kefka's original character from Japan was rather bland, but he was significantly improved for the American release.  And later when FF6 was re-released, Japan got a localization of the American Kefka, much to their joy.

run!  run or you'll be well done!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64608 on: October 19, 2011, 10:59:07 pm »

Of course, Kefka is one of my favorite villains ever.  Almost zero backstory or depth to him, but at the same time he was so flamboyant and fun.

A lot of people say he's a crazy clown character, but I don't think so.  I think he had such a sense of self-importance that he dressed himself to be a ridiculous caricature of aristocracy for recognition, and ended up making himself look like a clown.

I almost cosplayed as Kefka for Gencon a couple months ago.  Maybe next year.  Need to work on that laugh!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64609 on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »

I never played much of the FF series when I was young, limited to 7, a limited stint into 8, finished 9 and said "Screw you" to 10.

Beat nearly every Breath of Fire game though. I still really love the first one for being so smooth.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64610 on: October 19, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »

Seven is one of the worst, in my opinion.  The only thing I like about it is the soundtrack, which is possibly Nobuo Uematsu's best work.  From there the series got progressively better again.

But I'm dangerously close to begging for a flame war when all I want to say is that FF7-9 are not representative whatsoever of the rest of the series, especially FF6 and earlier.  Everything just felt different after 6... like something about the way they wrote the games that I can't quite put my finger on became completely different. 
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64611 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:36 pm »

But I'm dangerously close to begging for a flame war when all I want to say is that FF7-9 are not representative whatsoever of the rest of the series, especially FF6 and earlier.  Everything just felt different after 6... like something about the way they wrote the games that I can't quite put my finger on became completely different.

I agree.  To be honest number 8 sort of had the same feel to me, so its my favorite of the >6 FF's.

I'd love to see a full and complete remake of number 6 though.  I can imagine it being epic.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64612 on: October 19, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »

I liked 7 and 10, 9 didn't do it for me though seemed a nice game, and 8 was horrible in my opinion (except the guardian force system; I loved those).
5 and 6 are the best of the series. 4's roughly on par with 7 and 10 for me, and I never liked 1-3 or 12+
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64613 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:46 pm »

Ok, confession time. First Final fantasy game I played was X, followed by XII, X-2, VII, VI, V, I, IV, VIII and that is about it, so I got to play the newer games without knowing the older games.
And you know what? The new games kick ass. Yes, the old games are also wonderful, but don't hate the new ones just because they are not the old ones. Post VI was not 'divulging from the one true path of FF games!', it was making good games on their own and having old school fans complain because they were not getting fed the exact same dish every night.

The only truly bad game in the series was X-2, and funnily enough it had the best combat system. Maybe XIII, have yet to play.

Also Kingdom hearts was pretty darn good, if you want to go that far. Tactics was also awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64614 on: October 19, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »

Personally, I hated both Kingdom Hearts and FFXII.  The only good thing about the latter was Balthier, and occasionally Penelo and Fran depending on how gay I'm feeling.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64615 on: October 19, 2011, 11:59:33 pm »

The only truly bad game in the series was X-2
And even that game was innovative in the series(Relatively) for how it handled the story.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64616 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:42 am »

We're all missing a shining gem of the franchise: Mystic Quest

Say what you want about the story being a cliche mess from start to finish or how the gameplay's boring. The sound track is friggin' awesome and the game has style.  What other game has extendo-claws, ninjas with extendo-claws, knights with morning stars, and a weird spider thing for an end boss?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64617 on: October 20, 2011, 12:03:39 am »

Personally, I hated both Kingdom Hearts and FFXII.  The only good thing about the latter was Balthier, and occasionally Penelo and Fran depending on how gay I'm feeling.

Meh, the characters in XII sucked like Einstein's quantum vacuum cleaner, the point was that
-For at least half the game the combat was fun, then got dull very quickly.
-Well built world that actually had some politics to it rather than just 'I'M A FUCKING EVIL CLOWN AND WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING!!!!'
-Best soundtrack/landscapes that the PS2 ever gave us.

And even that game was innovative in the series(Relatively) for how it handled the story.
*Sigh*
Could you imagine if somebody with talent had worked on that game? It might have been great...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64618 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:58 am »

*Sigh*
Could you imagine if somebody with talent had worked on that game? It might have been great...
Looking at analysis on the game it's pretty apparent some good thought went into the game to keep it consistent with its predecessor. I think more pressures from the company and poor base design choices are to blame.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64619 on: October 20, 2011, 12:31:07 am »

Watched 12 Angry Men.
Good movie, really makes you think.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 4306 4307 [4308] 4309 4310 ... 13325