Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4303 4304 [4305] 4306 4307 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776664 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: [~~~] Things tildes made you do today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #64560 on: October 19, 2011, 02:35:25 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOtIsnG71U

Quantum Levitation is cool.

So, how long until the make a room temperature one with enough finesse and grunt to freely support itself in Earth's magnetic field?

That's pretty freaking looking, I'm curious how the doubled-over part works, but I guess there's no reason that stacking would matter at all.
The earth's magnetic field is really freaking weak, you'd need a table-sized magnet to lift a spoonful of salt so to speak. Though you could just line anything you want to float above with permanent magnets and be done with it.

The big problem right now with making room temperature superconductors is that we have no clue about how 'hot' superconductivity even works.

Edit: Someone asked for a hoverboard?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:42:31 pm by Virex »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64561 on: October 19, 2011, 02:46:53 pm »

You know it is getting close to 2015...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64562 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »

And our clothing fashions are no where near as awesome as they were in that movie.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64563 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »

I finally got around to donating. I've been playing DF and using these forums for free for far too long.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64564 on: October 19, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »

You know it is getting close to 2015...
Yeah, unfortunately, the Meisner effect only works effectively along a rail apparently (though you can hop lanes so to speak by applying a lateral force), for complete freedom, you may want to use a Hoverbike instead (last post on his own site was apparently from February, so don't count on this coming into production though scatch that, was looking at the wrong part of the site. Last change was earlier this month). Plus, it looks a lot cooler then a floating skateboard. Imagine parking that thing outside of a night club  8)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:27:01 pm by Virex »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64565 on: October 19, 2011, 03:36:16 pm »

Two things I'm determined to have eventually:  a castle (designed and built mostly by myself) and a hoverbike
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #64566 on: October 19, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »

the hover bike is "real" as in someone built it. But they built it badly. It has no software stability control. It has no variable aspect rotors, so you have to adjust the speed of the rotors to control lift, its center of gravity is to high and it has a single axis of stability. It is relying on its multipoint tether to remain upright even at a foot off the ground.

A real hover bike needs at least 3 rotors, the rotors should sit a little higher, and the rotors need to be able to pitch its blades so attitude can be controlled without an  infinitely variable transmission.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64567 on: October 19, 2011, 03:59:16 pm »

Recently rediscovered Jim Henson's "The Storyteller" series. John Hurt + muppet dog, narrating as actors and animatronics re-enact old folktales from different cultures. I remember this used to come on right after Amazing Stories (another brilliant TV show).

Can't believe it only went 9 episodes. Somewhere there's a TV exec that deserves to be eaten by an ogre.

<crotchety old man rant>
They don't make good, imaginative TV shows like this anymore. Now it's all reality TV and forensic/medical/legal dramas.
</rant>

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64568 on: October 19, 2011, 04:03:33 pm »

the hover bike is "real" as in someone built it. But they built it badly. It has no software stability control. It has no variable aspect rotors, so you have to adjust the speed of the rotors to control lift, its center of gravity is to high and it has a single axis of stability. It is relying on its multipoint tether to remain upright even at a foot off the ground.

A real hover bike needs at least 3 rotors, the rotors should sit a little higher, and the rotors need to be able to pitch its blades so attitude can be controlled without an  infinitely variable transmission.
Meh, the Bensen B-10 allegedly flew without incident, and that also had only 2 rotors. Also, the reason it's relying on tethers is because the controls haven't been tuned properly yet, which became evident during his first tetherless flight, as the bike jawed left due to the chassis warping (which has allegedly been fixed. He's also redesigning the control scheme a bit as the roll and yaw controls were on the same handlebars, meaning every time he rolled he started to jaw as well)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:06:03 pm by Virex »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64569 on: October 19, 2011, 04:12:36 pm »

The big problem right now with making room temperature superconductors is that we have no clue about how 'hot' superconductivity even works.
And yet we keep making them better anyway!  Science at its best.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64570 on: October 19, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »

One ear: Chinese

Other ear: Daniel Lavoie singing

I love working in the language lab.  I won't be able to anymore because we apparently aren't allowed to print anything in English (especially not, say, rhetoric assignments), but it's got some nice atmosphere going on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64571 on: October 19, 2011, 04:56:54 pm »

I wonder what the viability of a moat of molten metal is. Certainly, true lava would be to viscous and hot to be effectively pumped through a furnace and back into the moat, but molten zinc at, say, 550o is both less hot and a lot less viscous. If you stage a lot of heating steps I think it could be viable.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64572 on: October 19, 2011, 04:57:51 pm »

A kid in my Chemistry class got served. He always wheedles the teacher for every single point and homework problem, and generally just tries to get grades without spending the time or energy to do it like everyone else. He had a 98.49% a week ago, when the quarter ended. The day before, everyone turned in a completion assignment for 2 out of 2 points. She bumped this assignment to second quarter. It would have gotten him a 99%. A versus A+. I know it's awful, but it just seems so just a thing.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64573 on: October 19, 2011, 05:09:51 pm »

Just get a mercury moat.  If you fall in there's no way you're ever getting out even with help, and even if you somehow manage to get out you still have mercury in your lungs and on every inch of your skin so you're still gonna die.
Shoes...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #64574 on: October 19, 2011, 05:10:55 pm »

Won condominium collections precedent case! Client now owes condo association nothing; now if only I can get paid something from the $16K I saved him! :D

Opposing, overconfident counsel is furious; I have done well.... Let's just hope he doesn't have grounds to appeal!
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 4303 4304 [4305] 4306 4307 ... 13325