Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4250 4251 [4252] 4253 4254 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15756217 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Things yoshi... Oh god no (Happy Thread)
« Reply #63765 on: October 08, 2011, 12:05:24 pm »

Isn't the Lama an outspoken disapprover of homosexuality?

Is he?

Just for reference, I am reading up on this matter and trying to learn about it.  However, I think the issue is complicated enough that it's very easy to misread the words.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:09:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #63766 on: October 08, 2011, 12:11:23 pm »

Recently discovered that apparently my Google mail account was auto-registered to Youtube without my full notice (according to the details, it must've started about a week ago). Might take advantage of it and maybe work on a new channel (since there's also no time limit anymore) and use it like a backup for my Livestreams and any challenges and such I record (provided given some). Why not? I was meaning to get around to getting a new YT account anyway since I disposed of my last one a good long time ago.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #63767 on: October 08, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

Isn't the Lama an outspoken disapprover of homosexuality?

Is he?

Just for reference, I am reading up on this matter and trying to learn about it.  However, I think the issue is complicated enough that it's very easy to misread the words.
Ah. Well, I did ask a question for a reason.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63768 on: October 08, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »

He later clarified that homosexuality was wrong because it involved the use of the mouth, rectum and/or hands as opposed to only using genitalia. He added that the use of the mouth, rectum and hands are also proscribed in heterosexual encounters.
...Yeah, I would say he is.  Giving a reason for why you disapprove of homosexuality doesn't mean you don't disapprove of homosexuality.  Although I can think of some homosexual acts which would not fall under

I guess it's nice that he has liberal views on what non-Buddhists are allowed to do though.  It's certainly not as bad as declaring that homosexuality is universally unnatural or wrong.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63769 on: October 08, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »

The part about the laws being written for a different time and place would be the main reason why I'm not throwing him on the "forget it" list.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63770 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »

Earlier I happened to glance the title of a news article about a cat getting shot with a crossbow. My first thought was that someone must be afraid of a catsplosion.

After work I bought some pork rinds and cream soda. A weird combination, but still awesome.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #63771 on: October 08, 2011, 01:39:01 pm »

Earlier I happened to glance the title of a news article about a cat getting shot with a crossbow. My first thought was that someone must be afraid of a catsplosion.
Life imitates art?
Why is animal cruelty in the happy thread, anyway?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63772 on: October 08, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »

He later clarified that homosexuality was wrong because it involved the use of the mouth, rectum and/or hands as opposed to only using genitalia. He added that the use of the mouth, rectum and hands are also proscribed in heterosexual encounters.
...Yeah, I would say he is.  Giving a reason for why you disapprove of homosexuality doesn't mean you don't disapprove of homosexuality.

Although he viewed homosexuality as 'sexual misconduct' for Buddhists, he said that it was 'non-harmful' for non-Buddhists. The San Francisco Chronicle quotes him as saying, 'From society’s viewpoint, mutually agreeable homosexual relations can be of mutual benefit, enjoyable and harmless.'
The article linked to the World Tibetan News site is difficult to read in that the DL doesn’t always know how to say things in English and relies on his interpreter. Nevertheless, what is clear is that he is a celibate man who has never really considered these issues. The first time he did so in depth was during a private meeting with a number of LGBT Buddhists who were deeply concerned about the statements in his book. That meeting was the beginning of a shift in his position toward greater study and concern.

These are some key points for my consideration. He is not opposed to homosexuality, or its existence; instead, he goes so far as to suggest that individuals and society benefit from homosexuality, and homosexual relationships.

Note his attitude isn't one of absolutes or dogmatism; despite historical beliefs about non-procreative sexuality, and being a celibate man himself, he doesn't state that homosexuality is inherently bad, or that its practice should be stopped. Instead, he considers it, in light of the value it has to individuals and society, and the culture and place in time which the ideas about non-procreative sex originated.

He's a genuinely compassionate, rational, and wise man. I think he's approaching the matter as it relates to his spirituality in a remarkably healthy, good way.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63773 on: October 08, 2011, 02:26:18 pm »

And it's a common failing of people in general that they want their heroes to be 100% perfect and in total agreement with their own principles. I greatly admire Abraham Lincoln, but we'd have damn well had some arguments. I had a great deal of respect for John Paul II, but vehemently disagreed with him on some things. I respect the Dalai Lama, but I would disagree with him on a number of issues, including that of Tibetan independence.

One thing I deeply respect is that during the Sichuan riots a couple of years ago, he was chastising young Tibetans for being violent against ethnic Han. It's actually caused a bit of a rift within the Tibetan expat community, with some younger members wanting a more fiery, nationalist leader.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63774 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:36 pm »

Life imitates art?
Why is animal cruelty in the happy thread, anyway?

Well, I posted it because I thought it was funny that the first thing I thought of was a DF reference. I agree that the animal cruelty part isn't exactly happy thread material though(The cat is apparently okay though, so I guess that's happy).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #63775 on: October 08, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

Just beat another boss and another good chunk of Spacechem. I also legitimately unlocked Research.net in the game as well. Got about 2 levels left in the space station to go before the next chapter.

Had to think outside the box making the ruby crystal(s). Amazingly, I beat that boss with 1 less reactor than I needed, and only missed 2 or 3 times. I essentially had a pretty efficient ruby crystal factory going on and only needed to use the switch mechanism to time the delay between shots to produce the next crystal.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:15:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #63776 on: October 08, 2011, 04:13:59 pm »

I've found my purpose in life: writing the Great Dadaist Novel.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63777 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:35 pm »

Well, I wish you Happy Puce Fish riding a BICYCLE.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63778 on: October 08, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »

Haha.  I look forward to it.

Something feels like it's been put back on course.  Who knows if this is actually so, but for now I'm glad.

Probably also going to see if I can't retranslate The Little Prince into English for my family.  They're still working with the (very flawed) 1943 version.  It'd be nice if I could do that for them.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63779 on: October 08, 2011, 04:51:15 pm »

I just got binding of Issac, this is going to be quite the saturday headtrip.
Pages: 1 ... 4250 4251 [4252] 4253 4254 ... 13325