Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4141 4142 [4143] 4144 4145 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15754245 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Things yoshi... Oh god no (Happy Thread)
« Reply #62130 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:10 pm »

Finalizing plans to attend the local Renaissance Festival this weekend with some friends. It will be ridiculously fun!

Now, to decide whether or not to go in costume. I'll be the only one in my group doing it if I go... but I bet I could track down a brown coarse-spun monk's robe and a rope belt. If I have no luck, I do have a green crushed velvet cloak... just need a nice white linen tunic to go with it, or something.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62131 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:59 pm »

I totally didn't start watching My Little Pony or anything.... No, sir, not at all.

it's surprisingly good
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62132 on: September 15, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »

I totally didn't start watching My Little Pony or anything.... No, sir, not at all.

it's surprisingly good
A shame about the fans.

It's like the Homestuck fandom, except all that weird crap is applied to ponies.

I... I just can't go that far man.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #62133 on: September 15, 2011, 09:10:28 pm »

I know I couldn't do it.  Can't wait for the next season of Venture Bros though.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62134 on: September 15, 2011, 09:11:32 pm »

I can not pay attention to the fandom, and just enjoy the original work as I did before the fandom existed. Aside from being a simple and entertaining cartoon (you can see the heart and care that goes into its production) it's genuinely good to see a show with a pretty much all-female cast of characters, who are strong without having to be "masculine". I really like that.

I'm in the midst of reading an interview Lauren Faust did about the creation of the series; how it was working with Hasbro on the show, and so on, and it's actually a rather interesting read! Interesting to see the ins and outs of what makes a cartoon happen.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #62135 on: September 15, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »

Finalizing plans to attend the local Renaissance Festival this weekend with some friends. It will be ridiculously fun!

Now, to decide whether or not to go in costume. I'll be the only one in my group doing it if I go... but I bet I could track down a brown coarse-spun monk's robe and a rope belt. If I have no luck, I do have a green crushed velvet cloak... just need a nice white linen tunic to go with it, or something.

Don't forget the codpiece.

I gave MLP a chance.  I watched it.  It was (literally) a show for little girls.  As a show for little girls, it's good, with good role models and good stories.  For little girls.  I'm a 21 year old man and there is nothing in this show for me.

I don't get it.  I just don't get it.
Shoes...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62136 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »

I gave MLP a chance.  I watched it.  It was (literally) a show for little girls.  As a show for little girls, it's good, with good role models and good stories.  For little girls.  I'm a 21 year old man and there is nothing in this show for me.

I agree with this. Past the I'm a man and don't care what people think of what I watch thing, this is the reason I just could not get into the fandom and everything.

I respect other peoples' interest in it though.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #62137 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:53 pm »

:) ?

A monthly fee professional services company? Hum, I do wonder how they operate. Idle curiosity but still.

The parent company is PrePaid Legal Services, soon to be known as "Legal Shield" so they don't sound like a scam.  The company that's hiring me is a third party broker who regionally handles customers.  Basically, they have a fulltime staff of salaried lawyers, credit agents, and background checkers, and for $35 a month ($25 for company-plan employee packages), you get (mostly) unlimited Will writing, legal consultation and letters written by attorneys, contracts reads, and traffic tickets, with discounted rates for stuff larger than that.  It's basically legal insurance, provided by a pool of professionals who are regularly paid instead of by-the-job.

I honestly don't know how legit they are, but they've been in business since 1993 and always growing, so I assume they must be doing something right.  It instantly reminded me of some of your ideas, and lo and behold like every good idea somebody else thought of it.

I won't have anything to do with the legal side of it, just sales.  But they sold me on the package, 'cause hey why not, I'll try it.
Oh god, not this place. Someone gave my dad a card for a job here after my dad helped jump his car. I looked into it for him. It's an operating company alright, but the quality of their attorneys are SHIT.

So don't worry, not a pyramid scheme. However, it's a rotten company to join.

It instantly reminded me of some of your ideas, and lo and behold like every good idea somebody else thought of it.
"Simpson's did it." :)

They're actually charging more than I was considering, strangely enough
( and I'm positive I have the post back there somewhere to prove it)

Hum, I haven't any time to look into them but wouldn't mind seeing how they operate, it's somewhat encouraging to see that this sort of thing has been done before, because it means it can be done. I have so many questions like what their attorney to policyholder ratio and risk management is.

I will say I'm always hesitant of jobs that cost you money to start working, but I admit to not knowing enough to comment about it right now. Also I didn't know you could have non lawyers solicit business for you, because you can't do so directly as an attorney, at least in Ohio. I know absolutely nothing about Texas law or professional ethical conduct though. All the same, the idea of using non-attorney salespersons never crossed my mind. Seems I have a new puzzle to look into one of these days....

Then again, while it makes ME happy that this sort of thing is possible, I fear I might be getting off topic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:33:41 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62138 on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:29 pm »

It is, beyond a doubt, written for children. The plot doesn't have twists that really surprise me, or character interaction that expands my ability to understand the world. When I watch the show, I'm appreciating it for the sake of the work itself; what it's trying to do, how it does it, and for the good-natured whimsy of it. I like it for what it represents, as a piece of kid-oriented media, as opposed to the sea of slop generally aimed at kids.

It's intelligent for its target audience, progressive, well-written, and artistically appealing. For a show created to sell colorful ponies to young girls, I find the direction and attitude behind it surprisingly cool. They rebooted it well.

Don't forget the codpiece.

Alack, I have not a codpiece to wear. Whate'er shall I do; no man shall treat me with my deserved import, lest I brandish a proper codpiece! D:

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62139 on: September 15, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »

It's intelligent for its target audience, progressive, well-written, and artistically appealing. For a show created to sell colorful ponies to young girls, I find the direction and attitude behind it surprisingly cool.

That's the thing.  It's a great show for its target audience, and I would certainly recommend it to any girl under age 12.  I'll admit, there are one or two episodes where I genuinely don't see the plot twist or moral resolution coming, and some of the jokes and dialogue is funny for any age.  It still doesn't actually entertain me, except from a constructionist perspective where I'm thinking more about the process that made the show than whatever I'm actually seeing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62140 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »

I'll never have kids of my own, but a friend of mine does. His 8 year old daughter and I watch shows like that together. It's adorable, and she helps me keep what little sanity I have left :D.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62141 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »

Can't... stop... watching... Dr.Horrible!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62142 on: September 15, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »

Re: MLP. Not everything appeals to everyone. Good writing, animation, etc etc does not equate being something that you, personally, will enjoy. There's nothing wrong with not "getting" it.

Most fans probably couldn't tell you in unambiguous terms why they like it. I certainly can't. All I can say is it hit me like a train with emotional torque; something very few works have ever done. How and why, though? Can't say.

Another show that hit me like a train. Dr. Horrible's awesome :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:20:16 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #62143 on: September 15, 2011, 10:24:48 pm »

From my experience, it really isn't the least bit awkward to be the only one in your group wearing a costume at ren fair. Granted, it probably would be more fun to have a group of people dressed up so that you could pretend to be an adventuring party, but it's not like you're going to ever regret wearing a costume.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62144 on: September 15, 2011, 10:30:38 pm »

Re: MLP. Not everything appeals to everyone. Good writing, animation, etc etc does not equate being something that you, personally, will enjoy. There's nothing wrong with not "getting" it.

Most fans probably couldn't tell you in unambiguous terms why they like it. I certainly can't. All I can say is it hit me like a train with emotional torque; something very few works have ever done. How and why, though? Can't say.

Another show that hit me like a train. Dr. Horrible's awesome :)

Always loved NPH and his role there rocked.

I always like cartoons kids can watch with adults and both get something out of it. :D

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 4141 4142 [4143] 4144 4145 ... 13325