Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4029 4030 [4031] 4032 4033 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762821 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Who?] Things you mistook for someone today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #60450 on: August 24, 2011, 03:07:45 pm »

So, today, as I was doing my paper route for Wednesday, (The newspaper is delivered on Wednesday and Sunday) I stopped by a local deli for a drink and some really good cheesecake. Turns out, they hadn't received their Sunday paper. Although I wasn't their newspaper carrier, I delivered one of my spare Sunday papers anyway.

Quest rewards included a cream cheese brownie. Score.

I gave it to my little brother once I was finished with my route.

Everybody was so kind today. ;_;
Also often called Boowells.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60451 on: August 24, 2011, 03:29:09 pm »

So... going back a bit in the topic.
Chinese government creates gui interface in visual basic, capable of tracking an IP address.
I'm guessing this is all just propaganda. They do a looooot of propaganda. What I'm guessing is that this mockup was put together to trick people inside the system into thinking their awesome cyberwarfare division was doing these hacks right now! Then somewhere along the way they decided to screen it for their other propaganda, which led to this getting screened.
I will say that it wouldn't be the first time that CCTV-7 has shown things publicly that would be considered classified in most countries. I boggled at the shows I saw while I was there. Between the amount of time I spent watching those, and the surreptitious photos I snapped of J-6's flying training patrols, I'm surprised I didn't wind up in a nice long chat with the PSB.
The entire Chinese intelligence operation comes off as being heavily incompetent, this isn't the first time they've gotten egg on their face. Although for the most part, that's just the propaganda machine getting in the way. China's a lot more interested in lauding how big and shiny their guns are than actually having effective ones. Which is funny, because it will later turn around and proclaim how weak and vulnerable it is, and how much of a danger other countries pose to it.
Of course there's other things. The great firewall of China is full of holes, and sometimes it doesn't even work at all.
Then there's that whole tailing thing, if you're a journalist, you apparently tend to to get tailed by Chinese operatives... and by operatives, I mean people they apparently picked at random from their line of volunteers, then told to "go follow that guy and tell us what he does." From what I hear, they don't seem to care about being found out, they do it in very plain terms, and if you confront them it turns into a Monty Python sketch.
"Why are you following me?"
"I'm err... Bird watching, that's it, bird watching!"
"In the middle of a parking garage."
"Yes err, you never know what kinds of birds you'll find in- oh look at that!"
"... Why are you hiding behind that car?"
"... So I don't scare off the birds?"

One story I heard this woman was having a conversation with a random man she met while picking up groceries, he asks if he can practice his English on her, so they have a very awkward conversation about fruit. One of the guys who had been following him around walks up and asks, "Excuse me, could you translate what you just said for my brother over there, he's very curious." Of course, he doesn't believe it's about fruit so then he asks the man, "Could I have your name?" he just says, "no," and walks away.

Of course I don't doubt it's unpleasant, but if you're looking for smooth, secretive, highly professional, intelligence agency. Don't go to China.

EDIT: gasp
Free online course this fall from Stanford: "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence" taught by Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig.
http://www.ai-class.com/
" 7. Will the lectures be available in any other languages?
We are looking into adding Chinese subtitles. "
Conspiracy!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:31:21 pm by Pnx »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #60452 on: August 24, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »

Balance for This Term:  $90.00
Aww yeah?

EDIT:
Oh gog I have 17 credits total for this semester.  All of the classes, all of them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:13:01 pm by ToonyMan »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #60453 on: August 24, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »

Balance for This Term:  $90.00
Aww yeah?

EDIT:
Oh gog I have 17 credits total for this semester.  All of the classes, all of them.

17 credits is a good number to have. If you can make it, you get done quickly, and if you find the burden is to much you can drop any 1 class and still be full time for financial aid purposes.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #60454 on: August 24, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »

That's why I did it.  :D

Classes start Monday.  I have an orientation tomorrow.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60455 on: August 24, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »

For once, Google's anniversary banner links to something I actually notice.  Jorge Luis Borges was a really good author, and I encourage anyone who likes thought experiments to read a few of his works.  The Library of Babel in particular sounds very much like a Dantean Hell for intellectuals.

You are going to die.  That, or kiss your mangas goodbye; where you're going, you don't need fun.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60456 on: August 24, 2011, 04:51:44 pm »

One room, which is also 24 rooms. "Efficient" doesn't even begin to describe that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60457 on: August 24, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

Someone agrees that a white shirt and dark blue jeans is the apex of casual fashion. For guys, at least :b

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60458 on: August 24, 2011, 05:11:51 pm »

One room, which is also 24 rooms. "Efficient" doesn't even begin to describe that.
Hopy shit, that is so cool. I would totally want to live there. Hope he makes more than just one of those.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #60459 on: August 24, 2011, 05:12:07 pm »

You are going to die.  That, or kiss your mangas goodbye; where you're going, you don't need fun.

Granted a lot of these are first year classes, but that almost makes it worse.

I would say good luck making some friends in classes as college people have been the friendliest classroom buddies I have ever had, but at 17 credits you'll be too busy studying for other classes while in classes to chat.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #60460 on: August 24, 2011, 05:57:55 pm »

17 is nothing. We've got a guy at RIT who graduated from our 5 year program in 3 years with an average course load of 21 credits. Though I would strongly recommend against doing so, as he didn't exactly have much free time; last quarter he had 5 projects in which he and a group had 10 weeks to make a game; any more than 2 is akin to suicide by blunt hatchet.

Most of it depends on what the actual courses are though. I've had a 21 credit semester at a community college, and it wasn't particularly difficult, though my grades did slip a bit. This quarter I'm taking 18 at RIT and it's going to be hellishly difficult (yay!), as 2 will probably involve the '10 weeks to make a game' projects. And whereas at RIT this is about the most I would ever want to take at the same time, at the community college I could probably handle 25-30 credits so long as the scheduling worked out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:03:15 pm by alway »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #60461 on: August 24, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

The most I've ever taken at a time was 28, and I almost died. Luckily it was for but one quarter. Generally I'm down at 17-18.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #60462 on: August 24, 2011, 06:00:43 pm »

17 is nothing. We've got a guy at RIT who graduated from our 5 year program in 3 years with an average course load of 21 credits. Though I would strongly recommend against doing so, as he didn't exactly have much free time; last quarter he had 5 projects in which he and a group had 10 weeks to make a game; any more than 2 is akin to suicide by blunt hatchet.
Max is 18 credits for me.  I would go higher if I could.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #60463 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

Max is 18 at my college, too. That's why I took some classes through a separate dual-enrollment program.  ;)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60464 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:32 pm »

Yeah, most colleges won't let you take more than 18 credits a semester without a really good reason or really good proof of action, otherwise they think you'll just be wasting their time and yours.  This is largely true for people who take more than 17 hours, since it's just beyond most people's ability.  Admittedly, Freshman classes might be easier to take in bulk, but my Freshman year (and a half) was pretty heavy even with only 12 hours a semester.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 4029 4030 [4031] 4032 4033 ... 13325