Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3745 3746 [3747] 3748 3749 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15836834 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: [DOSH] Here's some cash lads grab it while you can. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #56190 on: July 10, 2011, 01:34:38 am »

Band of Brothers if you have time for a series and Grave of the Fireflies (holy shit studio Ghibli released this with My Neighbor Totoro!)/Saving Private Ryan/Blackhawk Down... The Pianist might be too much in the vein as Schindler's List, but still highly recommended and might be your cup of tea.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56191 on: July 10, 2011, 01:35:05 am »

So on the subject of homestuck. I was just browsing through wikipedia reading about british coins (this started with bell making techniques, then moved to metallurgy and coin minting then on to british coins), I went to the article on the 2 pound coin, flicked through the page briefly, and had my eye caught by the phrase that's written on the edge of the 2006 £2 coin dedicated to the 200th birthday of Isambard Brunel.
The inscription on the edge reads: So many irons in the fire

This really made me laugh.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #56192 on: July 10, 2011, 01:35:52 am »

Go watch Saving Private Ryan. Now.

... Why? It's a decent movie but it's also absolutely nothing noteworthy. It's practically the big fancy elephant covered with all sorts of expensive doohickeys but with the subtlety of same elephant and lasting appeal of a stick of gum.

I haven't watched too many war movies I feel stand out. But I did like Letters from Iwo Jima. It's partner movie flags of our fathers felt too hamfisted to me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56193 on: July 10, 2011, 01:36:06 am »

Go watch Saving Private Ryan. Now.

Pfft.  Spielberg.  There's a reason the first and last ten minutes are the only parts anyone talks about.  The rest of the movie is about what a bad leader the Captain is.  Although if you just want to watch emphatic representations of warfighting, yeah, it's good.  Band of Brothers was Ryan: The Series of course, with much better writing, being real and all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56194 on: July 10, 2011, 01:38:48 am »

Yeah, I would most definitely recommend Band of Brothers over Saving Private Ryan, but not all of us ooze free time.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56195 on: July 10, 2011, 01:40:47 am »

I remembered a comment someone said about Ermey on these forums a year and some months or so ago, and ever since then I've wanted to watch it... so I went and did :3

PPE: Okay, I'll work on watching Saving Private Ryan and When Trumpets Fade.  Eventually.  I think my enjoyment at watching young men being chewed out may be just about up for the evening.

Band of Brothers if you have time for a series and Grave of the Fireflies/Saving Private Ryan/Blackhawk Down... The Pianist might be too much in the vein as Schindler's List, but still highly recommended and might be your cup of tea.

Hmm... I have seen Grave of the Fireflies, Schindler's List, Das Boot ist Voll, and The Pianist.

Bah, I forgot!  I totally watched All Quiet on the Western Front in my freshman high school history course.  And Thirteen Days.  And most of Forrest Gump, though I somehow wasn't there the day where he went and enlisted.  Er, and there's always Watchmen... So, I guess I've seen a whole lot more war movies than I'd thought.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56196 on: July 10, 2011, 01:42:35 am »

...The Pianist...

Adrien Brody hell yes
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56197 on: July 10, 2011, 01:47:28 am »

Er, and there's always Watchmen... So, I guess I've seen a whole lot more war movies than I'd thought.

If I was an emoticon man, I'd post one for a raised eyebrow.  There's one "war movie" scene in the movie, and it's a giant blue man in a speedo making Viet Congs explode.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #56198 on: July 10, 2011, 01:50:53 am »

Er, and there's always Watchmen... So, I guess I've seen a whole lot more war movies than I'd thought.

If I was an emoticon man, I'd post one for a raised eyebrow.  There's one "war movie" scene in the movie, and it's a giant blue man in a speedo making Viet Congs explode.
You weren't in 'Nam! How are you suppose to know that there weren't any giant blue men in speedo's running around?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56199 on: July 10, 2011, 01:51:49 am »

Adrien Brody hell yes

Roman Polanski fuck no =/

Yup.  On the other hand, it's a movie which I felt dealt fundamentally with war.  Many of the movies I listed occurred during a war without showing any battle scenes, and yet they were "war movies."  Hell, 13 days is a political movie...

So, given that the Comedian's psychological makeup and general... screwed-up-ness was given such strong focus, it still kinda gets shoveled in there, even though I'd still put down its main title as "superhero movie."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56200 on: July 10, 2011, 02:01:51 am »

Yeah, it was an anti-war movie of sorts. Ozy's whole plot was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56201 on: July 10, 2011, 02:03:36 am »

Played much Xbox.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56202 on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:56 am »

Yeah, it was an anti-war movie of sorts. Ozy's whole plot was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which never made sense to me, because why would the world unite to take on one guy who they think is all-powerful anyway?  At least the comic story made a third side to unite against, the Doctor just doesn't work for a threat, especially since he leaves anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56203 on: July 10, 2011, 02:34:06 am »

Which never made sense to me, because why would the world unite to take on one guy who they think is all-powerful anyway?
Because people will fight even if we already know we'll lose. We're funny like that.

Anyway, on the subject of R. Lee Ermey:

-He wasn't originally going to play the role of drill sergeant, just be an adviser to the actor due to his experience in the subject, until the director saw how he acted when demonstrating the role.
-He improvised a great deal of his lines, going off on wild and usually insulting tangents that were nowhere on the script in most scenes involving him.
-He worked up his anger by having the actors playing the soldiers throw tennis balls and oranges at him for fifteen minutes while he verbally abused them to a camera. He at no point moved or repeated himself during this time.
-He is the first and only person to have been promoted by the Marine Corps after having ended active duty, going from Staff Sergent to Gunnery Sergeant in 2002.

By the way, I'm really surprised this didn't get posted yet, considering the thread name now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56204 on: July 10, 2011, 02:43:36 am »

@Vector: At least watch the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" for the Omaha beach landing scene, it's pretty brutal.
Pages: 1 ... 3745 3746 [3747] 3748 3749 ... 13326