Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3503 3504 [3505] 3506 3507 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15800166 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [Operate!] Things Fran operated on you for today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #52560 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:10 pm »

Until I was about 21, then all of sudden I not knew what the fuck I was doing, but could actually demonstrate it in his presence.  Don't know what happened there.

Perhaps rpg skill systems aren't so unrealistic after all?  You know... the ones where you can spend your points wherever you want, even if it results in randomly gaining skills your character has never had anything to do with.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:53:47 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52561 on: May 27, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »

My luck with my dad is always, what he warns me about happening always does.

Prime example: Last time we worked together he was doing the roof of his shop. I'd just woken up, because I'm lazy. His first words to me are "Be careful when you grab the flashing for the roof, it can cut you good."

So I go down to the shop to cut a length of flashing for him. It's bound by scotch tape. When I cut the scotch tape, the flashing unbinds quickly, shoots out and digs right into my thumb, cut me clean and deep like a razor blade. The prophecy is fulfilled.

On the flip side, I've seen my dad almost die, or been within 30 yards of it happening, more times in my life than I want to remember. I've got that man's panicked yells etched into my memory, everything from trees falling to gantries collapsing.

I think it's some universal quality of father-son work that, regardless of stations in life, dads will call their sons out on whatever they're doing and sons will fumble around like they're 10.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #52562 on: May 27, 2011, 06:55:01 pm »

Ein, nuff said.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52563 on: May 27, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »

:O This Star Trek Online mission is doing a "Search for Spock"  As in we are stealing a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Oh gods and now I'm using a holographic emitter to make me look like a klingon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:10:24 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52564 on: May 27, 2011, 07:18:50 pm »

I think it's some universal quality of father-son work that, regardless of stations in life, dads will call their sons out on whatever they're doing and sons will fumble around like they're 10.

Yeah, no matter who you are or what you do, if you're a son, dad will always be better.  And if he's not, it feels like the world might collapse under your feet at any moment.

My dad has never had a good relationship with his own father.  Some years ago, they tried hanging out for a while, to work on a Challenger granddad had bought, like they had in long ago days.  And it took about a day before dad realized that his old man had no idea what he was doing.  But he never really liked the idea anyway, and gave up on it.

For the past few weeks, dad's been helping his mother move into a new house (it's worth mentioning, granddad and grandma divorced about forty years ago).  He didn't expect me to come over and help, since I basically move furniture everyday anyway, but I came over to help on a weekend, when he would fixing up her deck furniture.  He enlisted me to sand the wood, while he painted.  Two things changed that day.  I was actually doing too good a job, sanding smoother than necessary (and thus wasting time).  But more importantly, for the first time ever, I realized I was stronger than my dad.  Since I'm a 24 year old professional truck-loader and he's 52 with a bum leg, that shouldn't be surprising.  I don't know if he noticed, but it was a very unsettling moment for me.

Not that it really should be, since it's perfectly natural.  I can fit this into the happy thread by saying that over the last few years, when hanging out with my father, I finally feel less like a little kid trying to act grown up, and more like one man spending time with another.  And even if he's a crippled 52 year old pothead, he's in remarkably good shape, as is his 75 year old mother, who has just now started looking old for the first time in her life.  I've got some durable genes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52565 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:20 pm »

But more importantly, for the first time ever, I realized I was stronger than my dad.  Since I'm a 24 year old professional truck-loader and he's 52 with a bum leg, that shouldn't be surprising.  I don't know if he noticed, but it was a very unsettling moment for me.

I had this moment about 2 years ago, and it was pretty unpleasant. My dad's been "self-employed" for probably 15 years now, which he admits is short hand for old and unwilling to be just another worker. So his life hasn't been great, but it's been on his terms, except for when he needs money for the family bankroll. We ran into the cliche father-son conflict of stations and wills (I rightfully called him out for being an asshole on something) and we clashed.

And I stood my ground, didn't strike him back, didn't fall over, didn't fly off the handle, while he basically went off the deep end on me. I eventually got an apology, too.

The irony is I have just as much if not more pent up anger than him, and have heard this for years, and yet when push came to shove came to swinging, I was the one that kept a clearer head and managed to take a punch from my old man straight to the face without folding and without tweaking out. I wouldn't say our relationship has grown a lot since then....but it definitely got redefined. He's always been about the hard discipline and order of the family, parent > child. He still is. But I think that day he woke up just a little bit and realized his kids see more and know more about him as a person than he wanted to believe.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:29:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52566 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:54 pm »

Livestreaming is great to watch/participate in.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52567 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:37 pm »

Livestreaming is great to watch/participate in.
Indeed it is
*Hugs*

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #52568 on: May 27, 2011, 08:12:56 pm »

Stream is over, and it was glorious. Streaming the other option tomorrow, probably a bit earlier.

Yarp!
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #52569 on: May 27, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »

TvTropes has a like button?! *Likes main page*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52570 on: May 27, 2011, 10:45:59 pm »

11:40 PM - Rozy~♥ pokes you in the BUTT BUTT
11:41 PM - SHAD0Wdump clamps on with his BUTT BUTT
11:44 PM - Rozy~♥: ><
11:44 PM - Rozy~♥: HOOOOOWWWW
11:44 PM - SHAD0Wdump: SCIENCE
11:44 PM - SHAD0Wdump opens a side panel on his BUTT BUTT
11:44 PM - Rozy~♥: :o
11:44 PM - Rozy~♥ inserts cheese!
11:45 PM - SHAD0Wdump: HYDRAULIC CLAMPING ACTION
11:45 PM - SHAD0Wdump: ...
11:45 PM - Rozy~♥ inserts MOAR CHEESE
11:45 PM - SHAD0Wdump 's ass begins smoking
11:45 PM - Rozy~♥: ... That's... :3Bc
11:45 PM - Rozy~♥: One hot ass B3c
11:45 PM - Rozy~♥: YEEEAAHHHHHHHHHH
11:45 PM - Rozy~♥: :P
11:45 PM - SHAD0Wdump: XD

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52571 on: May 28, 2011, 12:10:30 am »

Emoticon sunglass-donning definitely made me happy today.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52573 on: May 28, 2011, 12:26:59 am »

It should be against the law for a band to write lyrics that refer to the listener as "you"
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #52574 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:23 am »

I think it should be illegal for fish to drive without a permit.

Just saying.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 3503 3504 [3505] 3506 3507 ... 13325