Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3172 3173 [3174] 3175 3176 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15808650 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that Cirno lost today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #47595 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:18 am »

what is Danzig though? Just a german accent from Danzig?
It's dutch for danish, and it's closer in spelling to how they all pronounce it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47596 on: April 14, 2011, 11:29:32 am »

Genders that feel meaningless when I speak English and Danish primarily fuck with my head. Also a guy is eating, Er isst, a chick, Sie isst, But 3 guys eating Sie essen. WAT I can't find the logic.

"Sie" is the pronoun both for the plural and the feminine singular. You'll learn to think them as two different words soon enough. And yes, the genders and their articles are the only absurd thing there is. You'll just have to learn them by heart. It's easy from English or Finno-Ugric languages because you don't have genders. Imagine how annoying it is for someone from a romance language having to learn an entire new set of genders for nouns, that contradicts the one in your native language more often than not.

Edit: Also, you've got to learn the cases' structure pretty much by heart and through repeated use.
After learning both Dutch and then some German, I now mix the two up liberally. I think learning Danzig would make things 10 times worse...

Dutch should be like Danish with only 2 genders with rather loose or not defined rules, what is Danzig though? Just a german accent from Danzig?

Danzig is, IIRC, german name for Polish city of Gdańsk.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #47597 on: April 14, 2011, 11:34:44 am »

Danzig is, IIRC, german name for Polish city of Gdańsk.

A city that was German for hundreds, if not a thousand years actually.

what is Danzig though? Just a german accent from Danzig?
It's dutch for danish, and it's closer in spelling to how they all pronounce it.
Really? Fancy that. I Dutch sound like German and Danish mixed, and Danish is Scandinavian with Dutch accent. Hehe.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47598 on: April 14, 2011, 11:37:58 am »

I have learned how to enchant my weapon. Light sabers and ice blades 4tw!

Also I have Excalibur and the Staff of the White Wizard. Yeah!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47599 on: April 14, 2011, 11:47:45 am »

Really? Fancy that. I Dutch sound like German and Danish mixed, and Danish is Scandinavian with Dutch accent. Hehe.

Last time I checked the Scandinavian languages hadn't all inexplicably merged together.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #47600 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:39 am »

Last time I checked the Scandinavian languages hadn't all inexplicably merged together.

You can linguistically argue with a good case that they are the same language, the fact they're seen as each theirs is only the fact that they're each their country.

Norwegian Bokmål is technically a danish dialect and the point is if you spoke swedish or bokmål with a dutch voice it'd sound danish, and if you speak danish with a swedish voice it'd sound like Bokmål.

Besides, it's under 300 words that are completely different between the three, I can read both swedish and bokmål without training, and understand it spoken if they're slow about it.

Infact, I understand bokmål and swedish better than some jutish dialects.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #47601 on: April 14, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »

It's still probably not a good idea to lump them together without saying Scandinavian or North Germanic languages. Especially Bokmal and Danish since that would lead to flamewars in some places I'm sure. There are other North Germanic languages too, Faroese and Icelandic.

Although, after typing this out I'm guessing you just meant Continental Scandinavian languages. Which is cool, but that whole Bokmal/Nyornsk/Danish thing is a pretty touchy subject.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47602 on: April 14, 2011, 12:19:06 pm »

Don't remind me. The WoW server I'm on is mostly populated by Scandinavians. Guess what they did to celebrate New Years' Day?
Ultranationalistic flamewar.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #47603 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

Don't remind me. The WoW server I'm on is mostly populated by Scandinavians. Guess what they did to celebrate New Years' Day?
Ultranationalistic flamewar.

It is VERY rarely serious, we always playfight, and those who are serious are the minority being very vocal about it. I have good friends that are both norwegian and swedish I can discuss these things with as much as I want and some nationalistic norwegians might feel butthurt, but that's really their problem. Nynorsk is west norse(With Faroese and Icelandic) btw, while bokmål, danish and swedish is east norse.

Eitherway it's mostly kids playing online games that make those flamewars, I can go to Stockholm and pople yell "Yaaay Carlsberg love Denmark" randomly to me, and Norwegians are always treated superb in Denmark except for that one bad mistake a few years ago where a norwegian died do to a language fuck up. "Jeg er hemofil!" "Jeg er ligeglad med om du er homofil." The guy died of internal bleeding or so. Sad story.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47604 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »

Apparently, it may all have been a big understanding.
There may not be restrictions for my university directions, just exams a few months in, to determine if you're allowed to stay.
That's a huge load of my chest. I may be studying after all...

Anyway, I'm in such a good mood, I might even rewatch Sweeney Todd, since I've been humming some of the melodies all day long.
An almost streamworthy musical :D

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #47605 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:34 pm »

Nynorsk is west norse(With Faroese and Icelandic) btw, while bokmål, danish and swedish is east norse.
Hehe. Yeah, I know. I've read more stuff on the subject of philology than I care to remember, especially the Germanic languages(example: both my OE grammars begin with a typology of the Germanic languages). But the whole thing focuses around those three languages. Kinda like the whole French/Occitan thing in which both are also on different branches of the same family.

Anyway, I was just remembering the whole Nynorsk dictionary burning thing and how I'd always been advised to never call Bokmal Dano-Norwegian. At least not to a Norwegian.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #47606 on: April 14, 2011, 12:51:53 pm »

Nynorsk is west norse(With Faroese and Icelandic) btw, while bokmål, danish and swedish is east norse.
Hehe. Yeah, I know. I've read more stuff on the subject of philology than I care to remember, especially the Germanic languages(example: both my OE grammars begin with a typology of the Germanic languages). But the whole thing focuses around those three languages. Kinda like the whole French/Occitan thing in which both are also on different branches of the same family.

Anyway, I was just remembering the whole Nynorsk dictionary burning thing and how I'd always been advised to never call Bokmal Dano-Norwegian. At least not to a Norwegian.

It's really weird how bitter some norwegians have become, Before Denmark-Norway broke in two the Norwegians didn't even consider being their own state, we shared flag and king and was the same people until the war broke the union. It was even a danish prince that made sure the Norwegian got so much freedom in the Sweden-Norway union, Norway might even still have been in the union if not for Christian VIII(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_VIII_of_Denmark).

Edit: Also, when I read the horror stories spread over the of terrible evil danish lords and laws I can't help but giggle to think danish peasants were treated any better than norwegian peasants. Peasants were peasants, infact Norway was spared most of the civil wars and led better lifes in general.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:56:27 pm by Nine »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47607 on: April 14, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »

Y'know, I'm sick and tired of stupid WhoeverxSomeguy relationships.
Where are all the fucking triangles and convoluted webs of insanity?
The ones that make these kinds of things interesting.
Like this thing?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47608 on: April 14, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

Heh. There are people who ship KeineXKeine apparently.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47609 on: April 14, 2011, 01:45:31 pm »

Its KeinexMokou obviously.

In other news, my headache is slightly down after sleeping.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 3172 3173 [3174] 3175 3176 ... 13326